1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 1.5.6 Upgrade = Server Error 500?

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by DeadIntermediate, Feb 25, 2016.

1. When I updated the forums to 1.5.6. Now I get Server Error 500. Whats going on?

2. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Check your server error log to see what is causing the 500 to be thrown.

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I see this on your site:
    Are you installing or upgrading?

You would never have been able to install in the first place with those errors.

4. Steverino

Steverino New Member

Does one have to update from 1.5.4 to 1.5.5 before this 1.5.6 update, or does this 1.5.6 update bring 1.5.4 up to date too?

5. Brogan

You can upgrade to any later version, skipping versions in between.

6. Steverino

Steverino New Member

7. kingjavo

kingjavo Member

I'm receiving the same 500 error when trying to upgrade from 1.5.4 to 1.5.6. Any thoughts? My URL is http:/www.simheads.com

Oh and no Server Error Logs to report.

8. kingjavo

kingjavo Member

Ok, now I went to the install URL and it says I've already upgraded to 1.5.6?? It asks if I want to do a fresh install or rebuild master data. I've chosen rebuild master data and I'm waiting for the process to finish.

9. kingjavo

kingjavo Member

Okay got the same error when trying to Rebuild Master Data. Any thoughts?

10. kingjavo

kingjavo Member

When looking at Admin pages, there are no server errors. I did merge one outdated template. When I run File Health Check I get the below file issue (addon). Please let me know what you recommend I do next to ensure the upgrade was successful.

upload_2016-2-29_13-35-20.png

11. Brogan

If you are receiving 500 errors, you would need to check the server error log for any entries which may explain what's causing it.

12. kingjavo

kingjavo Member

Hi, There are no errors in the server error logs.

upload_2016-2-29_13-39-47.png

13. Brogan

The server error log, not the ACP error log.

If you don't know how to check it or you are on shared hosting, you can contact your host.

14. kingjavo

kingjavo Member

Ok checking cPanel now. Contacting host, but I'm seeing this error page in cPanel yet there are no errors which display??

upload_2016-2-29_13-49-8.png

15. Brogan

Perhaps logging is disabled?

As a 500 error is so generic, without some form of log entry it's virtually impossible to say what's causing it.

16. kingjavo

kingjavo Member

My host is planning to move me to a new server, but I haven't heard back on if the server has error logging enabled.

Does this mean the upgrade was successful or do I still need to check the logs?

upload_2016-2-29_15-16-55.png

17. Brogan

That would suggest version 1.5.6 is already running.

18. kingjavo

kingjavo Member

My host doesn't have error logging turned on due to resource issues.

So do you recommend I do a fresh install, rebuild master data, or do nothing?

19. Brogan

Is the site working?

If it is and errors aren't being generated under normal use then you likely don't need to do anything.

Otherwise ask your host to enable logging and to check the server error log once the error has been triggered.

20. kingjavo

kingjavo Member

The site seems to be working. Once my site is moved, I plan to upgrade again. Can I just hit rebuild master data or do I need to do a fresh install to accomplish this task?

I'll turn on server logging if I run into an issue when I upgrade again.