1.2 - Members - "All members" list gone?

CTXMedia

Has the ability to view all members been removed in 1.2 or is it accessed in a different way now?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Notable members, member list disabled

By default, the full members list page is now disabled. On larger boards, not only is it useless (and a spam magnet), it's actually a huge performance issue.

The notable members page looks a bit like the standard members list page, but it shows people of note:

• Most messages
  • Most likes received
  • Most trophy points
  • Today's birthdays
  • (Non-hidden) Staff members

More Assorted Things

Looks like we'll have to wait for the beta to try switching it back to the full member list.

*EDIT* Ninja'd! Too slow as I typed this in a meeting. ;)

Looks like we'll have to wait for the beta to try switching it back to the full member list.

Yeah, I think for smaller communities it'll still be useful to have the full member list available - it's quick enough to find people when there's only a few hundred accounts - but I can see the merit in disabling it for larger boards - especially as you can use the sidebar search to drill-down to find individuals.

I don't think, with twenty thousand plus accounts, it serves much purpose on CycleChat anymore (it'll take half a day or more to scroll through the alphabetical list) so it'll probably be more interesting for the regulars to see the tabbed totals like it is here on XF now. (y)

Yeah, I think for smaller communities it'll still be useful to have the full member list available - it's quick enough to find people when there's only a few hundred accounts - but I can see the merit in disabling it for larger boards - especially as you can use the sidebar search to drill-down to find individuals.

I don't think, with twenty thousand plus accounts, it serves much purpose on CycleChat anymore (it'll take half a day or more to scroll through the alphabetical list) so it'll probably be more interesting for the regulars to see the tabbed totals like it is here on XF now. (y)

Yes, I wouldn't entertain using the full members list over on CycleChat! So for you the new notable members page will be much more useful. For Senior Gamers, we only have 76 registered members currently so the full list is useful, though I do like the new notable members page too, so I'll have a play with both when we upgrade.

For me, what I'd most like is an easy way to list all of the users who haven't visited for a period of time e.g. 3 months. This would allow me to send them a "How are you? Is everything OK?" conversation and try to entice them back.

Surely the quickest way is to use search?

I have never once used the member list here or on my own site.

True, but if you don't know (or can't remember) the start of the username you're looking for - then for smaller sites with low member numbers it's still useful to have the full alpha list to scroll through. (y)

Just out of interest - with the full list enabled - does it add another tab and show it as well as all the notable lists or is it a one-or-the-other situation?

hmmm.... just thinking about this.... for small boards.
so if a member has never made a thread-post, he will not be found at all....

many of my members are just posting a status update at their profile.
So "Recent Activity" will become quite important to also "discover" members.... but "Recent Activity" is fading away after 1 week....... :(

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/tabs-for-recent-activity.51552/

... which is another reason why it is very important to have the ability to search for Members by "Custom Profile Fields".
If you can not properly search members via "Custom Profile Fields", you have no chance anymore to find them... if they are not active in the Forums :eek:

.....and who is able to remember usernames ? I am not.....

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/request-search-user-profile-custom-fields.43547/

:coffee:

Last edited:
I have never once used the member list here or on my own site.

1. That depends if you remember the start at least of the username.
2. You Brogan have an amazing druidic memory!
3. Memberlist suffers because the item view template is disgracefully neglected. We added almost all the Membercard info to the memberlist which makes it really interesting to browse.
Also we don't have guests - private board. So the memberlist isn't cluttered with empty guest items.

Conclusion: for a small board without guests, if the member item view is developed, the memberlist becomes a vigorous and interesting way of finding or browsing members.
I am developing an addon for this, which will include memberlist searches by usergroup.

Last edited:
Top Bottom