1.2 - Bookmark Conversation instead of Star?

CTXMedia

screen-shot-2013-07-18-at-12-06-12-am-png.51582

Star Conversation could easily be misread as Start Conversation and be somewhat confusing in that context.

How about changing the word to represent the behaviour and use Bookmark instead of Star?

book.webp

Last edited:
I know Jake DID misread it, but ultimately it shouldn't be misread as START because that row of controls is specifically for that conversation. So to keep it consistent with other parts of XenForo, you would never expect to see a Start Conversation link there. Actions such as that are always at the right hand side of the breadcrumb as a Call to Action button.

It should remain as Star Conversation because that's what it does :p

upload_2013-7-18_10-49-12.webp

It's quite a recognised concept. Especially if you use Google Mail.

If you were using Microsoft Outlook client, they'd be red flags.

"Star Conversation" is not known by anyone who does not use Gmail.
"Highlight Conversation" would be a more obvious choice.

View attachment 51590

It's quite a recognised concept. Especially if you use Google Mail.

If you were using Microsoft Outlook client, they'd be red flags.
There is nothing wrong with the stars be it yellow or red.
I do not use Google Mail, I don't like it.
I do have but do not use Outlook, I do not like it.

Click on Star Conversation and seems nothing happens.
What the hell is it? I won't use it again.

Tell me that it is to mark something important then I'll try it and will see that a Star appears.
Wow! That's a good function!

I think, once more, this boils down to something very simple:

If you don't like the phrasing, or the appearance of something, feel free to change it on your own boards, or remove it completely.

If you want it to be "Important" then change a few phrases. If you don't like the star icon, change it for something else.

With great power comes great responsibility.

Last edited:
It's just one of those things where you won't make everyone happy. The phrase could be changed and another group wouldn't like it, same rule for the icon in that some people like the star, some would like another icon me personally I wouldn't see anything wrong with a Lens flare being thrown in there. I think @Chris Deeming said it nicely - "with great power comes great responsibility". Okay, he never technically said this but this would have been the cherry on his post.

I saw it yesterday in the phrases while translating. I actually first translated it as "add to favorites" (in Dutch) but then I realized Gmail had basically standardized this term "Star" so over time this will probably become more familiar with people in relation to the inbox, if not already.

Also bookmarks or favorites can be confused with the ones of the user's browser, so for that reason actually not the best choice. However the phrases are there for a reason, people can pick whatever they like best.

Top Bottom