1,000 messages! Finally!

You just don't want to post too much because you have more likes than posts ;)
Provided you remain within or close to a 50% ratio of post and likes.... I say you're doing good.

(I'm usually only 300 - 350 from that ratio, which in the grand view of things on any forum isn't off by much. There are others who are also within that ballpark as well.)

I don't go by any of that.

I remember people by intentions simply because stats are too easy to manipulate...

examples:

If you make 100 posts with only a smiley in them, and you have made 1000 posts...10% of your posts have no real value.

If you 'trade likes' with people for the purpose of exchanging likes you water down the system, especially to people who genuinely try to earn likes.

A personal example...I have gone out of my way and coded something or styled something for people and don't even get a like from them, not even a response that says thanks from them...or anyone else...and then I look and see likes for a 10 letter post of no value...that to me means post count and like count mean nothing and is the reason I hardly like anything anymore and when I do it is usually to save me from wasting space by replying with words that amount to the idea that I like something.

I wonder if there is a way to hide my post count and like count but not hide anything else.

I don't go by any of that.

I remember people by intentions simply because stats are too easy to manipulate...

examples:

If you make 100 posts with only a smiley in them, and you have made 1000 posts...10% of your posts have no real value.

If you 'trade likes' with people for the purpose of exchanging likes you water down the system, especially to people who genuinely try to earn likes.

A personal example...I have gone out of my way and coded something or styled something for people and don't even get a like from them, not even a response that says thanks from them...or anyone else...and then I look and see likes for a 10 letter post of no value...that to me means post count and like count mean nothing and is the reason I hardly like anything anymore and when I do it is usually to save me from wasting space by replying with words that amount to the idea that I like something.

I wonder if there is a way to hide my post count and like count but not hide anything else.
I was almost too scared to like your post... but it's worth the like because I was thinking something similar earlier. Percentage of likes to posts is about as indicative of how helpful/good the member is as a large/small postcount. I'm much more inclined to take notice of someone with a low postcount whose posts are mostly well written, full of quality information and interesting than I am with someone who has thousands of posts full of "LOL" and "OMG" or "meh"... likes are the same.

I was almost too scared to like your post... but it's worth the like because I was thinking something similar earlier. Percentage of likes to posts is about as indicative of how helpful/good the member is as a large/small postcount. I'm much more inclined to take notice of someone with a low postcount whose posts are mostly well written, full of quality information and interesting than I am with someone who has thousands of posts full of "LOL" and "OMG" or "meh"... likes are the same.

You criticizing my "...meh" post? :P

Don't get me wrong though, I mean socially speaking, passing a few likes here and there has it's benefits as a motivational tool for newbies and people who are unsure of themselves at a new community, they can also make a new member feel welcomed and can promote the idea that if a member is active in their community people will respect them. Even if the person has nothing but questions and no ability to generate good answers...those questions when well phrased can promote others who do know an answer to publish it and share it with others...in that case both people would get a like from me and at the very least some respect for their roles in creating good data for people to read.

However I agree with your sentiment on quality information being the deciding factor on value for me rather that a system that can not possess humanistic properties such as a like system or a counter. They are good for quick references to be used in a general sense in all cases, and if there are rules in place to prevent the dilution of value of the system (for example at DP if you like stupid things...they let you know because they use the likes as part of a determining factor in giving abilities or access, liking worthless things is regarded as spam over there, a quote form their policies... 'Liking dumb things to try and help someone become established will get you banned') they actually become a useful tool.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong though, I mean socially speaking, passing a few likes here and there has it's benefits as a motivational tool for newbies and people who are unsure of themselves at a new community, they can also make a new member feel welcomed and can promote the idea that if a member is active in their community people will respect them. Even if the person has nothing but questions and no ability to generate good answers...those questions when well phrased can promote others who do know an answer to publish it and share it with others...in that case both people would get a like from me and at the very least some respect for their roles in creating good data for people to read.

Yes, this... exactly why I mentioned both helpful and good members. You don't have to be helping people every five minutes to be a good member :)

However I agree with your sentiment on quality information being the deciding factor on value for me rather that a system that can not possess humanistic properties such a like system or a counter. They are good for quick references to be used in a general sense in all cases, and if there are rules in place to prevent the dilution of value of the system (for example at DP if you like stupid things...they let you know because they use the likes as part of a determining factor in giving abilities or access, liking worthless things is regarded as spam over there) they actually become a useful tool.
(y) DP's example is actually very good - and one I'd like to incorporate myself, but I don't imagine it's an easy process to keep on top of.

Top Bottom