• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

¿Do you upgrade XenForo Beta without making a backup?

¿Do you upgrade XenForo Beta without making a backup?

• Total voters

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
You should always backup your database before upgrading.

Regarding server files, all you need to backup are the /data and /internal_data directories, and any style directories if you have created them as everything else is stored in the database.

Jamie

I always take a backup my databases each day, but with any upgrades I take the time to back up the files on the server.

It's not that it's needed, but everyone should always have a copy of the web server on a local machine just in case, so I have always used the upgrade time line as a way to back up any files on my server to my local system.

Jamie

FredC

I make daily backups (automated) so i really dont go out of my way to make a super current backup prior to updating my forums.

Jamie

I make daily backups (automated) so i really dont go out of my way to make a super current backup prior to updating my forums.
I used to be like that... then when I was upgrading over at vB and I lost the current posts and such and had to go back to yesterday's backup, my members were.. hey we're missing posts.. hey my post count was higher...

After that I always take a current backup... just in case... :)

Jamie

FredC

I used to be like that... then when I was upgrading over at vB and I lost the current posts and such and had to go back to yesterday's backup, my members were.. hey we're missing posts.. hey my post count was higher...

After that I always take a current backup... just in case... :)

Jamie
ohh, well if we are talking about vB then the answer would have been different. ;) lol i made backups of my backups back then. (vB4) :)

Tigratrus

We moved to stormondemand for our server, so I just make an image of the live server and create a new instance that is an identical clone. Then I update the hosts file on my virtual machine (running in parallels), so that I can use browser/filezilla etc in parallels to connect directly to the testbed as if it was the live server. Test any updates with 100% certainty that I'm getting an accurate look at what will happen when I upgrade on live.

The image I made to spawn the test server serves as a full server backup in case I *do* have something bizarre happen during the upgrade on the Live box. The entire server is also backed up everyday during off peak hours so that's there as a fallback.

Sounds more complicated than it is in practice, it's really quite easy to do, and having a dead accurate testbed that's *easily* updatable, and only running (and incurring charges) when we NEED it is the best way to go IMO :).

Dean

9 to 9? Those are some pretty scary poll results.

Highly recommend backups, for any software, before upgrades.

In addition, I highly recommend backups in general, someplace *other* than your main server. If that fails you would be relying on the hosting company for their backups and I've seen many frustrated and disappointed people that experienced that.

steven s

I've gotten used to backing up all files and database before updating.
In cPanel I just compress my forum directory rather than downloading a backup.

Luke F

An update is unlikely to completely destroy the database, so I generally trust my nightly database backup will sort me out if anything goes wrong.

Though I should really get round to setting up a backup system for attachments etc.

Tigratrus

Everytime without fail.....

As I have a lot of confidence in xenforo I have every confidence that everything will be smooth each and every time.

As a database developer, I dont trust any database as far as I can throw em LOL
DANG good answer! We have a winner! :)

CBI Web

I haven't been backing up my XF db for the beta upgrades, but then it's only a test site, so it's not a concern. Basically I'm the same as jmurrayhead in post #3. But in all other situations in life, I always make backups before upgrades.

Fred Sherman

Andrew

Rule #1: ALWAY backup
Rule #2: ALWAYS verify your backup
Rule #3: ALWAYS create a second backup
Rule #4: ALWAYS store your second backup seperate from the first
Rule #5: Trust nothing and no one: not tape, not disk, nothing. ALWAYS assume every damned thing that can break, will and at the worst possible time.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/friday-i-want-everyone-sh-tfaced-by-7pm.10468/#post-142206

'Nuff said
Ya thats what I used to do when I had websites I was running. This is what your teachers would teach you in college if you were in web mastering classes. But if your forum has only 1 member and 3 posts.... forget the back up ;)