Which PHP IDE? / What do you use to code?

Wow that was quick if they already sold 50... either way, the $99.99 price for both without the coupon is still a good deal (goes back to $300 tomorrow).

Definitely worked for me 20m ago though... :(

A8mkKjwCAAAaR4z.png:large

Damn, good find Shawn.

They upped the limit to 100, but seems I still missed it :(

Although I have to say I didn't get on too well with Zend Studio Trial. With it being based on Eclipse (or the other way around) I found it had the same inherent performance issues in Windows. (Yes, I know I should buy a Mac).

Across the whole suite of tools built around Eclipse, including Zend Studio, Eclipse, Aptana, my favorite quirks were, in no particular order:
  • Files taking 30 seconds to save.
  • All PHPDocs information disappearing.
  • Code completion just stopping.
The most annoying was the 30 second save. And I think that was in Zend Studio.
Since then, my favourite IDE has become one that's Windows exclusive, but the fact that it's written for Windows makes its performance on Windows awesome compared to anything else out there.
It's called NuSphere PhpED and has a very attractive price.
Anyone developing on Windows - highly recommended :)

Coupon says not valid. Seems I missed it.

*Important: Zend Studio is available for the price of $99.99 the entire weekend of 11/23-11/26. For 100 customers purchasing on Black Friday 11/23/12 and Cyber Monday 11/26/12 (first 50 on Friday and first 50 on Monday), Zend Studio will be priced at $29.99 using coupon BFZEND29. After the 50 coupons have been redeemed for each day, the price reverts back to $99.99. This Limited time only sale starts on Black Friday 11/23 at 12 am Eastern Time and ends Cyber Monday 11/26/12 at 8 pm Eastern Time. Valid only in the US Store.

Unlimited sales for $99 now (regular $269). Saw it too late for $29 also :(

PhpED is only $79 these days :)

Only IDE I've used that's actually faster than Visual Studio (and of course absolutely no comparison with anything Eclipse/Java based, they are always unusably slow)

PhpED is only $79 these days :)

Only IDE I've used that's actually faster than Visual Studio (and of course absolutely no comparison with anything Eclipse/Java based, they are always unusably slow)
It's an awesome IDE. I was so fickle when it came to IDEs. I tried them all (at least it felt like it).

Some were just so useless at even basic things. Others were so powerful they were incredibly resource hungry.

One (I forget what it was called), called itself a PHP IDE... it didn't have even the most basic code completion or PHP docs. It was literally no more use than Notepad++

I was getting to the point where buying one seemed like a waste of money and I was never going to find one. Then when I actually managed to get through a full trial period without rage quitting, I had to buy it. That was about 6 weeks ago now maybe longer so it's going well :D

I use Net Beans IDE 7.2. It's free and fast (at least for me). Never experience any lag and the features are awesome. Tried Eclipse PDT and it was just too slow.

Ya... Eclipse was slow for me too. Which is totally weird because Zend Studio is based on Eclipse, and Zend Studio is very fast for me.

Reactions: HWS
Does anyone use Coda? What's your experience like?

Coda + PHP + very quick edit = ok
+ Large Projects? NO.

Coda is an IDE for non-power users I'd say. I use PHPStorm + Netbeans at work. Eclipse is just slow. Zend Studio is alright, but it's not the best in terms of performance. There's a reason my computer is the only one in the room with 8GB RAM, with a lot of Windows features turned off, no Aero etc.

I was in a similar situation... I was using BBEdit, but outgrew it. I really *wanted* to like Coda since it was native Mac OS X and all, but in the end we found the same that Shamil mentioned... wasn't great for large projects.

I also really thought I would like phpStorm when I tried it out, but in the end it didn't do a few things that I took for granted even with BBEdit. There was a period where I was trying out different IDEs for a week each to get over the "newness" factor, and the one I finally was happy with was Zend Studio. But phpStorm is really nice as well and would be my second choice.

Is anyone using Zend Studio v9? When it first came out, there was a lot of negativity around stability and performance, so I didn't bother upgrading from v8.

I'm now running into some compatibility problems, which I assume are fixed in more recent releases (specifically, PHP namespaces) ... so I was hoping an upgrade to v9 won't disappoint me regarding performance and stability.

Zend Studio 9 was the first version I used, so I can't really compare it to v8... But that being said, I've never had any stability issues (it's never once crashed on me or anything). Can't compare the performance vs. 8 since I didn't use 8, but it's been fast for me (much faster than Eclipse for example). But someone earlier in the thread said it took them like 30 seconds to save a file (which I've never experienced myself), so I'd say try it out and see for yourself on your system.

For what it's worth, I've been running it on Mac OS X.

Reactions: Sim
(specifically, PHP namespaces)

hmm ... I haven't gone back to Zend Studio v8 to try it, but it seems that PHP namespaces were probably supported in v8, since it was a PHP 5.3 thing. I found that I had most of my projects set to use PHP 5.2, which is why they were complaining about the namespace declarations - even in v9!

Oh well, upgrade to v9 has gone smoothly enough so far, and I've learned a few things about its configuration and settings along the way.

Reactions: HWS
Thanks for the tip Shamil. We use PHPStorm at Kayako, I was looking for something quick, easy and a bit better than BBEdit (I don't do heavy development myself).
WOO :)

I sometime do use Coda for a very quick edits (to HTML only websites), but its inability to recognise my classes and my MVC structure as well as PHP 5.3's namespaces is a quick killer.

Sublime Text 2 does everything I need it to. I use it for both small and large projects with no problem at all. Being multiplatform is a bonus too as I can go from my Windows environment to my Linux one and use the same editor with nothing but a git push and git pull.

Top Bottom