Which PHP IDE? / What do you use to code?

What is everyone's preferred IDE to use? I've used Aptana Studio, Brackets (liked this one the most out of all), Dreamweaver (when I first started), and another one which I cant for the life of me remember the name of.

Since my last post in this thread in 2010, I've since moved pretty much entirely to PHP Storm. I still use Eclipse for some stuff, but PHP Storm is just mind blowingly good, and focused like a laser on PHP coding rather than being the "all things to all languages" workhorse that Eclipse is.

Yeah, it costs money. But if you write PHP for a living, it's worth every penny.

PHP IDE :: JetBrains PhpStorm

-- hugh

One of the killer features of PHP Storm for me is the tight integration with Vagrant. I work on a variety of projects with other devs around the world, and setting up and maintaining the various environments used to be a crippling task. Combined with boot2docker, it's now a no brainer. I just set up a project from a dev in France in about 2 minutes, a node.js app with Rethinkdb, dockerized into 3 containers. Clone from github, vagrant up, docker-compose. Done. All from within PHP Storm.

Today's challenge is getting the Elastic Beanstalk plugin going, so we can deploy it to AWS direct from PHP Storm. :)

-- hugh

There isn't a native Docker for Windows. They've come up with the "Docker Machine" to replace boot2docker, but it's still a cut down Linux VM running in VirtualBox. They've just made it a bit sexier, added Kitematic (the Docker UI), etc.

It's not really a "Vagrant VM", as Vagrant is essentially just a provisioning system, which still requires VirtualBox to run the images. So you would typically use Vagrant to package up and provision your Docker setups as their own self contained VM's.

The developer I mentioned in my previous post is running Docker on Windows 10, but he's using boot2docker, not Docker Machine.

I've been using Vagrant for a while, but it's only in the last couple of months I've started getting seriously into Docker. And the more I use it, the more blown away I am at the power and flexibility it provides. So far I've really only been using it as part of making collaborative development easier, but this month I'm working on something which we'll actually be deploying as a docker "swarm", using Amazon's EC2, with Elastic Beanstalk. Infinitely scalable at the push of a button,

-- hugh

Last edited:
Top Bottom