Which PHP IDE? / What do you use to code?

Robbo, thanks for pointing out Sublime Text 2! Looks amazing and its very fast so I'm impressed. We'll see if this replaces my current set of tools that I've become accustomed to.

Normally I use Eclipse. But when I just need to look at it quickly, TextMate is the way to go. Many people mentioned Sublime Text 2 but I was set back with the price (also because TextMate 2 is coming too)

Normally I use Eclipse. But when I just need to look at it quickly, TextMate is the way to go. Many people mentioned Sublime Text 2 but I was set back with the price (also because TextMate 2 is coming too)
Nothing is stopping you from trying it for free. And really the price is nothing...

Nothing is stopping you from trying it for free. And really the price is nothing...
I tried it for a while, seemed pretty smooth but in that limited time frame I didn't feel it any superior to TextMate so I just go back and wait for TextMate 2. One thing I really love about Sublime Text is the developer updates it very often!

I tried it for a while, seemed pretty smooth but in that limited time frame I didn't feel it any superior to TextMate so I just go back and wait for TextMate 2. One thing I really love about Sublime Text is the developer updates it very often!
Those links I had above. You really need to look at the second one which explains some things you might have overlooked. Also I am still using the free version, it prompts me maybe twice a night to purchase which is around about 6 hours working with it. So trying it out for a while shouldn't be much of a problem. I still want to make absolutely sure before paying for it as I have made some early purchases recently which turned out to be bad ideas.

Robbo, thanks for pointing out Sublime Text 2! Looks amazing and its very fast so I'm impressed. We'll see if this replaces my current set of tools that I've become accustomed to.
Sublime Text 2 is great, tons of keyboard shortcuts

I've used Netbeans, Eclipse and Zend Studio 9 both on my home machine, a macbook and my work machine an ubuntu 10.04 desktop. One thing all 3 of them have in common, is crashes and memory usage...it is INSANE. I gave up and just started using Sublime 2 after I saw it posted here and so far I'm very happy.

I'm still struggling along with Coda. I've tried others but being on a Mac, Eclipse looks like something that came out of a dogs rear end :p I use Aptana Studio / Titanium Studio (an Eclipse fork) for iOS/Android development and its...ok, but very ugly.

Its just a shame that both look like they had their GUI's designed by a blind man - they look horrid, especaially PHPStorm on the mac :sick:
I rather like the changes they made in the latest version of PhpStorm. :whistle:

Then again, I also hide a few of the border windows but I don't think it's that bad.

Perhaps but it's also not so horrible-looking that it's distracting me from coding. ;)

If you've got your eyes in the editing part, then you've got your eyes in the editing part. The bits around in PhpStorm just always seem to grab my attention :(

Top Bottom