Which PHP IDE? / What do you use to code?

How much are Microsoft paying you to come up with this stuff?

A lot :D
I just like a clean interface, which I percieve to be organised, and, ribonned into specific sections. The current File, contextmenus etc are getting a bit dated for me. I like change, and I like my Mac.

Being old and old fashioned I use edit plus and Wamp. The advantage of Wamp is you can test your app with any version of apache, php or mysql. just by the click of a mouse.
Helped me a lot when php 5.3 came out, to get rid of all those deprecated messages.
1 drawback though.
vbulletin worked great, but xenforo (at least beta1) doesn't install on it. so i had to switch to xampp (lot less flexible)

Luc

here's a noobish Eclipse question:

How do you setup an existing project? I've tried to start a new PHP Project from existing source but I always get an error, cannot create project content in workspace.

Very counter-intuitive project setup for me!

I already have XF running locally, XDebug installed with WAMP.

How do you setup an existing project? I've tried to start a new PHP Project from existing source but I always get an error, cannot create project content in workspace.
You can't create a project inside your workspace directory. I made the same mistake when porting my projects from a different IDE. Move your workspace to a separate directory, not shared with any of your projects. Here's the setup I have now:
Rich (BB code):
/Projects
	/workspace		(workspace)
	/symfony		(project)
	/java			(project)
	/web
		/xenforo	(project)

Try first the demo;)
It's runs 45 days and the discount ends on 30. December so you can't lose your money if you don't like it^^

I'm also waiting till 30. to be able to update so long as possible^^

Eclipse is a real monster, but i played also a little bit with it and it have also some great features. For example mylyn extension.
It's great if you have an bugtracker and/or you're working with many people on a project.

PHP Storm have AFAIK also a "connection" for some bugtrackers/3rd party sites, but i couldn't find anything for bugzilla

It's just the JetBrains I respect. They are really the guys with brains (just look at their Resharper). They will surely provide us with all the necessary tools and may be even an interface to create extensions for the IDE.

After spending a month or so with Eclipse I didtched it. How anyone can stand it I dont know.

First, I must say its not performance problems on my machine (Mac Pro w/ 2x quad core processors and 16GB RAM and a sold state HDD RAID array).

I found it pretty good to begin with. But after a while it gets so bogged down and...slow. Its a very bloated, old product.

I ended up switching to netbeans and modded it a bit (removed top and right navigations so I just have my code window, a ist of fimes and output/debugging at the bottom). I also changed the code to a bigger font and a dark color scheme (eye problems!!).

If you're not too settled on Eclipse I urge you to give netbeans a try. It also has remote connections (ftp/sftp) built in (eclipse requires an extension which I personally couldn't get working).

I also tried Komodo IDE - also very good. The only reason I chose netbeans is because it was free :p

Sorry to hear you have equal bad eye sight as me.
It's eyecandy for those who are starting in dynamic languages, but as a PHP IDE, it sucks. As for my eyes, I need new contact lenses. I've already burned myself making a cup of hot chocolate in the snow.

I'm currently using Eclipse PDT with the Atlassian Connector (for JIRA), and I have to say, it's ok, but it could be better. It's a bit slow to start up but it's fine.

An update. I'm now on the Mac, and was again looking for a PHP IDE. I've stuck to Zend Studio, with my a config file that long. Here it is, for anyone who wants to get some extra optimisation and performance:

Code:
-startup
../Resources/Java/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar
--launcher.library
../Resources/Java/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.cocoa.macosx_1.1.1.R36x_v20100810
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
512m
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
-vmargs
-Xms256M
-Xmx640M
-Xss2m
-XX:PermSize=256m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=128m
-XX:NewSize=128m
-XX:MaxNewSize=512m
-XX:NewRatio=5
-Xcheck:jni=false
-XX:+RelaxAccessControlCheck
-XX:+ParallelRefProcEnabled
-XX:+UseBiasedLocking
-XX:+StringCache
-XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods
-XX:+UseFastEmptyMethods
-XX:+UseNiagaraInstrs
-XX:+UseAutoGCSelectPolicy
-XX:+AggressiveOpts
-XX:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs
-XX:+UseGCTaskAffinity
-XX:+UseParallelGC
-XX:LargePageSizeInBytes=64m
-XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80
-XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=60
-XX:ParallelGCThreads:16
-XX:ParallelCMSThreads:16
-XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=2000
-XX:ThreadStackSize=256
-XX:+UseMPSS
-Xconcurrentio
-XX:+DisableExplicitGC
-XX:+AggressiveHeap
-XX:+AdaptiveSizePolicy
-XX:+UseLargePages
-XX:LargePageSizeInBytes=4m
-XX:AllocatePrefetchLines=1
-XX:AllocatePrefetchStyle=1
-server
-Xverify:none
-XX:SurvivorRatio=6
-Dosgi.bundlefile.limit=200
-Dide.gc=true

I realise that some of the options specified are defunct or not necessary, but it helps me keep a track of what's there. Oh, and the startup is 6 seconds. After 12 hours of use, I haven't noticed any slowing down. The config can mostly be transplanted into Eclipse (+ PDT etc.).

I rarely use IDEs (Eclipse, Aptana and Anjuta etc)
I normally use text editors (Emacs, VIM, GEdit etc)
I rarely use Windows (Testing)
I normally use Linux (Daily usage and Development)
I rarely develop PHP/Perl projects now (Couple of years)
I normally program Ruby on Rails + Rich JavaScript applications

How much I love that Linux Console! :-)

An update. I'm now on the Mac, and was again looking for a PHP IDE. I've stuck to Zend Studio, with my a config file that long. Here it is, for anyone who wants to get some extra optimisation and performance:

<snip>

I realise that some of the options specified are defunct or not necessary, but it helps me keep a track of what's there. Oh, and the startup is 6 seconds. After 12 hours of use, I haven't noticed any slowing down. The config can mostly be transplanted into Eclipse (+ PDT etc.).

Any idea if that'll work with standard Eclipse? :D

(Great work btw!)

Any idea if that'll work with standard Eclipse? :D

(Great work btw!)

Yep, it should work in standard Eclipse - Zend Studio is built on it.

Remember, only the options after the -startup flag (i.e. --launcher.XXMaxPermSize onwards is what you may want to put it your ini, without breaking Eclipse )

Top Bottom