What is Cloudflare ? How does it help webmasters ?

Best thing to do is to try us & take it from there. It literally only takes about 5 mins to setup & about the same amount of time to turn us off. While results vary, most sites do see about a 50% performance improvement using the service.

Tips to get the most out of CloudFlare
Troubleshooting problems

mmm. Unfortunately you're talking to someone who deals in information and cyber security. I do not blindly go installing everything I see unless I've vetted it and at least one of my engineers have vet the application in question.

That five minute setup you talk about is very well five minutes, but it takes us about a few weeks to do a proper code review.

I unfortunately do not have a few weeks to spare just to perform a test that may not produce any fruit.

Hi,

There is actually nothing to install. The CloudFlare service works through DNS, so it requires changing authoritative DNS to us for a domain (unless you activate through a hosting partner). The DNS change to/away literally would only takes minutes if you had an issue.

If you want to test CloudFlare through a CNAME, we can also set you up so you can test a CNAME through CloudFlare. You would need to contact us for that.

Hi,

There is actually nothing to install. The CloudFlare service works through DNS, so it requires changing authoritative DNS to us for a domain (unless you activate through a hosting partner). The DNS change to/away literally would only takes minutes if you had an issue.

If you want to test CloudFlare through a CNAME, we can also set you up so you can test a CNAME through CloudFlare. You would need to contact us for that.

What about having to deal with replay attacks? Or Man-In-The-Middle attacks?

We wouldn't really guard against people sniffing packets, if that is the question.

Note: SSL would most certainly help against sniffing packets.

Are you implying that your service allows people to load up an application like Wireshark and observe packets?

I really hope I'm misunderstanding Cloudflare!

Are you implying that your service allows people to load up an application like Wireshark and observe packets?

Not at all. I think you are misunderstanding what we do.

On the "threat control" page, I noticed an alert (accidentally deleted) of something called a "Rule Breaker", rather than the normal "Botnet Zombie" or "Web Spammer", . What does that mean, and how does CloudFlare identify them?

Hi,

Are you guys ever going to implement A and CNAME support only without having to transfer the entire domain across to you, something which I am extremely uncomfortable about. I manage my own DNS system and prefer to retain control and the ease of use of editing configuration files (and not nasty web portals :p).

I would love to be able to try the service :(

I *think* you can do that now, CloudFlare scans your DNS records, and "suggests" the A and CNAME records that can benefit from CloudFlare, and then you choose which of them you want CloudFlare activated for. But maybe it won't let you de-select the A name.

Regarding the "5 minute" claim. Yes, it doesn't take long to change your existing site's name servers to CloudFlare's, but of course you have to wait for the DNS propogation to kick in.

I *think* you can do that now, CloudFlare scans your DNS records, and "suggests" the A and CNAME records that can benefit from CloudFlare, and then you choose which of them you want CloudFlare activated for. But maybe it won't let you de-select the A name.

Regarding the "5 minute" claim. Yes, it doesn't take long to change your existing site's name servers to CloudFlare's, but of course you have to wait for the DNS propogation to kick in.
Last time I checked I still had to transfer the entire domain across by changing the nameservers on the domain :(

Are you guys ever going to implement A and CNAME support only without having to transfer the entire domain across to you, something which I am extremely uncomfortable about. I manage my own DNS system and prefer to retain control and the ease of use of editing configuration files (and not nasty web portals :p).

I would love to be able to try the service :(

We do have a CNAME option available (only works for CNAMEs). If interested in testing the beta, please contact us for directions.

Regarding the "5 minute" claim. Yes, it doesn't take long to change your existing site's name servers to CloudFlare's, but of course you have to wait for the DNS propogation to kick in.[/quote]

Of course. It is actually important to note that nothing would actually happen until the nameserver switched to us at the registrar.

Nice and fast, details on the way to you. Looking forward to trying the service out. Will the CNAME support be a permanent thing?

It will be a lot easier the day you can simply impute

ns1.example.com
ns2.example.com
ns3.example.com
ns4.example.com
ns5.example.com
ns6.example.com
ns7.example.com
ns8.example.com
ns9.example.com
ns10
ns11