1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Cloudflare ? How does it help webmasters ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Digital Doctor, Jan 25, 2011.

1. damoncloudflare

damoncloudflare Active Member

Just a quick note that CloudFlare's new UI is operating across all accounts now. Definitely let us know if you have any issues with the new UI at all and/or have recommendations to improve.

2. damoncloudflare

For CNAME pointing? Not sure if I'm following the suggestion here. We wouldn't work the way you're suggestion would, if I'm understanding it properly, because our service works through DNS & DNS has to point to us in some way.

3. Caelum

Caelum Well-Known Member

Hey, Damon, any chance of a bug report form for non beta features, or atleast, an entry on the bug form that doesn't relate to them? For stuff like UI bugs and the likes? Possibly even a suggestions thing?

4. damoncloudflare

The current contact form does have a report a bug option available in the drop down. What would you like to see change?

5. Caelum

Caelum Well-Known Member

6. damoncloudflare

7. damoncloudflare

Just a quick reminder that we have started broadcasting out over some new CloudFlare IPs. We would strongly recommend updating your firewall and server allow rules to make sure that connections from CloudFlare's IPs are accepted by your server.

8. TazDevilLooney

TazDevilLooney Active Member

I've just converted over from Memcahced to Xcache but my forum keeps logging out randomly. I applied the fix here https://www.cloudflare.com/wiki/XenForo which worked for Memcached but doesn't seem to work with Xcache. I'm running apache on windows.

Code:
    $config['cache'] = array(
        'enabled' => true,
        'frontend' => 'Core',
        'frontendOptions' => array(
                'caching' => true,
                'automatic_serialization' => false,
                'cache_id_prefix' => 'you_prefix_',
                'lifetime' => 18000
        ),
        'backend' => 'Xcache',
        'backendOptions' => array(),
        'cacheSessions' => true
    );
    http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xcache-config-for-dummies-like-me.29137/#post-337011

I'm not using any code at the moment but getting some sort of result. o_O

Capture-XCACHE.PNG

Capture-xcache2.PNG

Any ideas?

9. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

I had the same issue with people being logged out when caching the session. I removed cachesessions from the config, and haven't had any problems since.

10. TazDevilLooney

Is the performance downgraded if i can't use the 'cacheSessions' => true statement?

11. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

I've not noticed anything by not having it cache sessions.

TazDevilLooney likes this.
  12. TazDevilLooney

Thanks Matt i ended up with this in the end. (y)

PHP:
    $config['cache'] = array(

'enabled' => true,

'frontend' => 'Core',

'frontendOptions' => array(

'caching' => true,

'automatic_serialization' => false,

'cache_id_prefix' => 'you_prefix_',

'lifetime' => 18000

),

'backend' => 'Xcache'
    );

MattW likes this.
  13. Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg Well-Known Member

Set it up on April 7 and 8, for testing on our major sites. Still getting a rare DNS display glitch from CloudFlare, but most things are fully functional. Analytics shows that one of our sites is actually getting more uniques. Neat.

14. damoncloudflare

Hi Gene,
    Hello again;-)

Just another quick note with CloudFlare updates:
    We now support Non-Latin characters in the UI.
    Dreamhost is now a CloudFlare partner as well.

Note: If you're already active on CloudFlare, you don't want to also activate the panel option at a hosting partner as well (can only be one or the other).

15. Naatan

Naatan Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, how does cloudflare work with attachments that require user authentication? I'm guessing this won't go through the CDN unless an addon is developed?

16. damoncloudflare

Hi Naatan,

Is it something that is done via an upload? User authentication shouldn't be an issue. Are you using SSL?

Note: We only cache these file extensions (know it will come up).

17. Naatan

Naatan Well-Known Member

XenForo uses readfile() to output attachments, so without an addon I'd say it's near impossible for CloudFlare to cover this and still maintain XenForo's security. I'd be very interested to see this addon developed though, perhaps I'll look into it myself provided that the cloudflare API offers sufficient functionality to securely offer files to authenticated users.

18. damoncloudflare

Just a quick note that we have released a new DDoS mitigation tool to help site owners deal with DDoS attacks. Please let us know if you have any feedback.

yavuz likes this.
  19. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

Are there a lot more crawlers and attackers focusing on CloudFlare from these analytics, or is it just my sites they are after...?

From the last 7 days....
    cloudflare_analytics.png

20. damoncloudflare

Hi,

Those analytics are domain specific:(