Implemented @Username tagging syntax in posts with alert notifications

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I wanna this as main, it's nice we can talk from another users in forum, and they get an alert, with the addon that already exists there are buggy things, especialy when text is formated. =/

I would say the ability to @username and it be alerted is possibly the most used feature of my forum at the moment, and I agree would be an excellent addition to core.

I think there are issues with how efficient this could be as it would have to search for every @X with a regex and determine if that user exists or not both of which are expensive functions especially regexes.
Why would you use Regex to search for a string in text, that is so PHP4 passé.

Is this idea going anywhere? With Facebook and Twitter, this feature makes using a forum a much more natural platform for just about every user out there.

Having quote alerts is great, having @name alerts would be even better.

(Vanilla forums has it and I think it works well - and of course people expect it now thanks to FB and Twitter).

(While we're on about SN's, having twitter connect is essential if you're gonna have FB connect imo)

I think tagging could be useful, and I would support it. It would certainly help as people on my forum do like using @username to try to "poke" or notify someone. Make it like a person horn that only you can hear.

Just for the record. There would be no technical reasons not to do this. Just logical and end user reasons.

For one, it is a forum and you might not know someone and you can alert them just like that? That's like being down the street and going up to a random and pointing everyone to him and him noticing. The reason for this kind of thing is for people you know... so as a social feature. Just doesn't fit into a forum unless the forum was customized to be social like and you did it for friends like facebook.

Having said that, I do want a way to link to people profiles without having to use [ url]. I would like a way to link to various forum locations as internal links and not external (as in target="_blank"). BBCode could be used for this and have it for advanced users (so no button on the editor either). Something like [forum user="1'], [forum user="Robbo" ]. Other areas could make use of this too... [forum thread="2"] inserting the thread title and linking to it.

BBCode is standing still. It hasn't innovated and it needs to. Both with the editors and codes.

I don't see any of this happening in XenForo... ever. So a mod should be made :)

I think it would be a great idea to add @Mike and have this post show up on Mike's alerts.

Okay, maybe that would drive Mike nuts so we would want to disable it by usergroup but never the less, it woudl be nice