Implemented @Username tagging syntax in posts with alert notifications

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Just for the record. There would be no technical reasons not to do this. Just logical and end user reasons.

For one, it is a forum and you might not know someone and you can alert them just like that? That's like being down the street and going up to a random and pointing everyone to him and him noticing. The reason for this kind of thing is for people you know... so as a social feature. Just doesn't fit into a forum unless the forum was customized to be social like and you did it for friends like facebook.

Posting on a forum is inherently a "social" thing. I don't know you, but we're interacting.

There's also legitimate uses for tagging someone you don't necessarily know or follow. For example, I've often been tagged in tweets about issues that affect a service or project I'm responsible for. Had it not been for those mentions (as their called), I'd probably have never known about the issue and thus it would've gone unaddressed for a longer period. On Twitter, such messages are neatly presented in a separate tab for those mentioned. Provide tools where people can easily filter out what they don't want, and this could be a useful feature.

Why am I being quoted on things I can't remember saying it was that long ago? :/

Best reply I guess... Ummm I'm all for tagging, forums are primitive as compared to a lot out there for the web, anything to make them easier to follow.

Why am I being quoted on things I can't remember saying it was that long ago? :/

Best reply I guess... Ummm I'm all for tagging, forums are primitive as compared to a lot out there for the web, anything to make them easier to follow.

I'm guessing because you never updated your opinion regarding @username tagging. :laugh:

Of course, over time opinions change but an "Update may be required" so we have all your latest opinions, latest thoughts on record. :D

No one cares what I think lol... and I just did update it. I have no issue with tagging being added, everyone is used to it now.

For one, it is a forum and you might not know someone and you can alert them just like that?
What if there is a setting available in preferences that says:
  • Anyone can mention me
  • Only people I follow can mention me
  • No one can mention me
It would be useless for me since I'm normally referred to as "shelly" rather than "shelley" so I pity the person who has that username. :D
What if there is a way to provide a list of aliases that you want to be mentioned on? Also, auto-complete suggestion menu with avatar in it helps a lot identifying the intended person. :)

What if there is a setting available in preferences that says:
  • Anyone can mention me
  • Only people I follow can mention me
  • No one can mention me

What if there is a way to provide a list of aliases that you want to be mentioned on? Also, auto-complete suggestion menu with avatar in it helps a lot identifying the intended person. :)
I think, if this were to be made in the core, anyone should be able to mention as it provides a link to the profile and the options you specify should be used regarding what you're alerted for (which may have been what you were suggesting actually).

It'd be useful on xenforo.com, but I'm not too fussed regarding whether it's core or addon, the addon works perfectly.

I think, if this were to be made in the core, anyone should be able to mention as it provides a link to the profile and the options you specify should be used regarding what you're alerted for (which may have been what you were suggesting actually).

It'd be useful on xenforo.com, but I'm not too fussed regarding whether it's core or addon, the addon works perfectly.
I have quoted a phrase that was talking about alerts. Hence I was actually talking about the mention alert preferences. Linking a profile on a text is not a problem. :-)

Implemented in 1.2
Good stuff. :)

Will this have the same options as [bd] Tag Me? So, will there be:

• tagging in profile posts, profile post comments?
  • email notifications as well as alerts too for users that want it?
  • permissions for who can use tagging?
  • permissions for how many tags can be used in a post?
  • tagging for groups and permissions for who can use this?
  • an option to include/exclude the @ in the tag when published?
  • a choice of use of URL BBCode or using a custom BBCode?

Will this have the same options as [bd] Tag Me? So, will there be:
  • tagging in profile posts, profile post comments? Posts only (profile posts and comments may be implemented)
  • email notifications as well as alerts too for users that want it? No
  • permissions for who can use tagging? Yes
  • permissions for how many tags can be used in a post? Yes
  • tagging for groups and permissions for who can use this? No
  • an option to include/exclude the @ in the tag when published? Yes
  • a choice of use of URL BBCode or using a custom BBCode? No

@Brogan - An option to completely disable it? (for those of us using the Tag Me add-on) ;)
@user tagging
While not directly related to the editor change, this is probably the best time to mention it. You can use @Mike style syntax to tag users in a post:
View attachment 46347
Tagged users will receive an alert when they're tagged.

You can obviously turn off tag alerts, but as an admin, you can also limit the maximum users that can be tagged per message as a permission. (So you could disable it for registered members and only allow premium members to tag, for example.)
Just limit it to 0 for everyone using the default system, continue using the Tag Me add-on.

Just limit it to 0 for everyone using the default system, continue using the Tag Me add-on.
Doing it this way would presumably mean that the Tag Me add-on would need modifying for those using the standard BBCode URL linking for tags rather than custom BBCode for this? Otherwise there'd likely be a conflict with the Xenforo in-built tagging saying that a user can't use tags and Tag Me saying that they can?