Implemented @Username tagging syntax in posts with alert notifications

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
It'd probably be more ideal as a modification. Create a listener on the thread hook and generate an alert should the username be mentioned. I wouldn't want the overhead for a forum that doesn't require it (overhead can range from little to lots depending on how its done) and making it an ACP option is also something I wouldn't consider fundamental.

I think it'd be great - as long as you use the @ to do it, kind of like how Facebook will turn @Greg Martin into a link to my name... but if they don't do the @ symbol, I'm not notified.

Would be useful for a semi-busy board, when you want to make sure that someone reads a post. Instead of wasting time sending them a message, you just tag them.

An interesting idea, sorta on the fence for this one. Can see where it'd be nice, but could end up with a lot of 'clutter' in the notifications or alerts.

This is a good idea. I know of several members who search for their own name on regular basis to found out what is said about them, making it an alert would prevent this searching and make it easy on them.

And for those opposed to it: you don't have to turn it on. Make it a user option and off by default.

If not added to default features, I hope this will be made as add-on.

i actually like this idea. but it would be tough with people having spaces in their names. of course a lot of people here are not liking the idea.

but referring to someone in a post would compliment the reply feature. i am not a very big fan of quotes. but then you cannot have a threaded conversation in a forum (like you have on blog comments these days).

DBTech is probably posting porting/rewriting their system for XF, so I don't think it'll need to be added as core.

Fairly sure they intend to make use of the alert system.