XF 1.0 Quoting Multiple Posts

You may have noticed how the 'Reply' links on messages focus the quick reply editor, and pull in a quoted version of the message to which you are replying so that you can easily edit/trim your quote.

Have you also noticed however, that you are not limited to quoting a single message? You can click the 'reply' link on multiple messages and each of them will deliver their content to the quick reply box.

I say Multi-Quote (kinda) because at present this functionality is limited to messages on the same page, but I plan to allow this to operate across multiple pages in due course.

Have you also noticed however, that you are not limited to quoting a single message? You can click the 'reply' link on multiple messages and each of them will deliver their content to the quick reply box.
I say Multi-Quote (kinda) because at present this functionality is limited to messages on the same page, but I plan to allow this to operate across multiple pages in due course.
very
Nice! Very nice! I can't wait to play with it!
very

Oh this is clever. I like.

nice :D

I find the way it's implemented a bit hard to find, especially for "non geek" users that don't sneak around it will be hard to find out (don't tell me to read the help, you know people never do ;)).

Perhaps putting a notice somewhere on the thread page could be a good idea ?

Honestly, I still think this will be updated so the scrolling subject will be fixed. However, as an idea, maybe just have the post added to the quick reply box, without the scrolling effect? Just to see how that will fair.

eeek, I agree with others that this "multi-quote" feature is not user friendly in its current form

the up and down, up, down ... is arrrgghhh

:)

Like GameR said I'd prefer a WBB-like multi quote system. It's by far the best on the market right now.

I just saw woltlab community, there quote system quote is quite nice, it will be great if they can do mix what they have in woltlab with what they have in vB4 (I mean when the quick reply box moves/jump right under the post that you are quoting/replying to).

It would be nice to open up a quote box right below each message you want to use and have them saved as you go though the pages. Keeps the train of thought process going. As threads get longer on some longer discussions you can loose a post you want to quote.

Gonna throw my 2 cents in and say this reminds me of SMF. I hate it currently, either the qr box jumps up to you, or you can mark it, and preferably with a system that goes between threads.

I kinda like it, except when I have to quote multiple posts spread between multiple pages. It then becomes a bit troublesome.

yeah, it works quite nicely for quickly quoting and tweaking the quote with bold or whatever, and rearranging multiple quotes still in the QR box, but it really needs multiple pages to be useful beyond that

I've been very impressed with the many innovative features here. But this feature is not practical. After I quote a message I have to scroll up and try to find where I left off reading, then read until I want to quote another, scroll back up to find it, etc. Also, if I don't want to multi quote but simply want to reply to several messages, the same problem exists. It's a chore to scroll back up each time and find the message I left off reading. After awhile I'd be replying to fewer and fewer posts because it's such a chore.

I've been very impressed with the many innovative features here. But this feature is not practical. After I quote a message I have to scroll up and try to find where I left off reading, then read until I want to quote another, scroll back up to find it, etc. Also, if I don't want to multi quote but simply want to reply to several messages, the same problem exists. It's a chore to scroll back up each time and find the message I left off reading. After awhile I'd be replying to fewer and fewer posts because it's such a chore.

I noticed this, too. What XenForo needs is a dedicated multi-quote button like in vB and IPB where you click it and it lights up and begins to queue up the selected posts. Then you go to Quick Reply or the posting screen and all the selected messages are there.

There are rare situations that I go through multiple pages to multi-quote, so this current situation is working for me.

There are rare situations that I go through multiple pages to multi-quote, so this current situation is working for me.
True, but there's been a few instances where I do want to quote across multiple pages, which usually happens in large threads with a lot of posts, and there's not a way to do it that isn't unfriendly.

Copy/pasting is very friendly.... ;)

You know what I mean. :p And no, that isn't that user friendly when I have to remember to copy it all, go to the next page, look for the post I want to quote, paste my reply, hit Reply to make the post appear in it, copy it all, and then repeat.

It's a lengthy process, and less tech-oriented people would certainly get frustrated easily.

Top Bottom