native wiki

dvsDave

The biggest blank spot in both VB and IPB is their lack of a native wiki product.

I want a wiki product with multiple namespaces and autolinking of terms from the the forums to the wiki entry. I also want to be able to see a list of terms in the wiki displayed like the memberlist on vb. (characters listed in a row across the top)

You provide that and an import from vbulletin and I'll move in a heartbeat.

Upvote 43
From elsewhere:
Morgain said:
I have these needs -

1. WYSWYG editor frontend
2. Paginate
3. Allocate permission to global edit Pages to
a) usergroup
b) user
4. Allocate edit permission per page e.g. subforum coordinator
5. Images - multiple images, and larger than I see in the Pages version here. Insert left, right, above, below text.
6. Select image to display thumbnail in preview. Default the single images is selected. Or root default an icon = Article.
7. Link relevant thread, or relevant forum at top and bottom for discussion (instead of comments)
This thread or forum has linkback to Page. at top and bottom
8. Collect Pages in Categories/ Chapters.
Can duplicate Page into more than one. (link to original? but it looks like duplicate)
9. TOC - with option to not show Page on TOC.
10. Global option to not use TOC.
11. Category TOC option.
12. Can search all Page texts incl titles. Options to search just Pages, or Pages and forums.
13. Convert selected forum post to a Page.

Morgain said:
Yes I know it's big. But this is a roadmap not expected all instantly!
The first 5 are enough for an excellent add-on

1. WYSWYG editor frontend
2. Paginate
3. Allocate permission to global edit Pages to
a) usergroup
b) user
4. Allocate edit permission per page e.g. subforum coordinator
5. Images - multiple images, and larger than I see in the Pages version here. Insert left, right, above, below text.

Well .. Wiki / documents / WYSIWYG pages / fans ...
Morgain: Love your Ideas.
Time to bring alot of these ideas to fruition.

Mindtouch's Deki wiki is better than Mediawiki ... but still to complicated.

Apparently some major changes are planned for MediaWiki. One thing we are looking forward to is the next version of Semantic Forms, which is an extension sitting on top of Semantic Wiki. Semantic forms essentially will allow for very easy table editing, comparable to grid-controls as you see them in ASP.NET, for example.

Wikipedia’s Next Big Thing: Wikidata, A Machine-Readable, User-Editable Database Funded By Google, Paul Allen And Others

5225bb627e112543aa03bf3b2958be3f
SARAH PEREZ

Friday, March 30th, 2012​
wikimedia-logo2.png
Wikidata, the first new project to emerge from theWikimedia Foundation since 2006, is now beginning development. The organization, known best for its user-edited encyclopedia of knowledge Wikipedia, recently announced the new project at February’s Semantic Tech & Business Conference in Berlin, describing Wikidata as new effort to provide a database of knowledge that can be read and edited by humans and machines alike.
There have been other attempts at creating a semantic database built from Wikipedia’s data before – for example, DBpedia, a community effort to extract structured content from Wikipedia and make it available online. The difference is that, with Wikidata, the data won’t just be made available, it will also be made editable by anyone.

More here: http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/30/wi...abase-funded-by-google-paul-allen-and-others/

Our wiki guys were very excited about that one, too :) We've been using Semantic MediaWiki to achieve a lot of this, but some of the extensions do not always work properly. Hopefully having them built-in in MEdiaWiki will get rid of a lot of the issues we encountered :)

One of the key parts to a wiki is to easily link to other wiki items.

The best method I have ever seen for this type of linking task was done in the [bd] Tag Me addon.

This addon allows you to link to a member by typing @ and then a few characters.

In this example say I wanted to link to a member called DigitalMike

Tag.Me.inline.selection.of.member.links.webp

Once a list is presented, you can just click the item you want (DigitalMike).
The speed and simplicity is amazing.

So for a native wiki, the drop down would be wiki pages !

Hey DroidHost: Can you give a list of what you would be looking for in a wiki ? And what you are hoping to avoid ?
I did not use a wiki in any of my project before ... this is my first time so I dont know anything but I install wikimedia and some other wikis .. they were complicated ...
what I need is a editor that use BBcodes and what u see is what u get editor ... so that the forum users can easily contribute to build up the articles .... and have premade templates [as tables and headlines ,,, etc] for the same reasons ....
I need it to be user friendly as Possible but also admin freindly I mean that I can understand it ... xenCarta as in example was simple but it was difficult for me to figure out how to build the template at the begning ... and it was so simple .... it will take time to manupilate it to be what I need it to be ... :(

I know that I dont have the experience to feed u with good info , sorry :)

Good idea. Making it easy to use premade templates will take some creative thinking.
How much structure a wiki should have is an interesting topic.

Good ideas.
How would you design headlines so it is easy ?
see this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipoma .... sorry for the gross things but this is what I know :( .. see the table on the right that contone the Pic and the ICD 10 # ....
let say someting like ... <wiki infotable: site="right" pic="url.jpg" param1="blabla" , param2="blahblab"></wiki>... I did not dig deep enogh on the syntax of xenforo if we could play with it or not .... and build up something like wordpress system of shortcut codes or what ever they called :)
and let take site in a deeper view .... if we cam make a modular system like what there in a CMS like Jomla the page will contain some code like <dive id="right"><?php site="right" ?></div> or a hooks so the template is placed in ......

see this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipoma .... sorry for the gross things but this is what I know :( .. see the table on the right that contone the Pic and the ICD 10 # ....

wikipedia.lipoma.ICD10.structured.data.webp
let say someting like ... <wiki infotable: site="right" pic="url.jpg" param1="blabla" , param2="blahblab"></wiki>... I did not dig deep enogh on the syntax of xenforo if we could play with it or not .... and build up something like wordpress system of shortcut codes or what ever they called :)

Wordpress shortcodes - look complicated ! http://codex.wordpress.org/Shortcode_API
This would be powerful but I think many people would get intimidated by this.
It's almost as hard as learning HTML or learning Mediawiki syntax.

Just like WYSIWYG is key to make things newbie friendly ... so would WYSIWYG structure be important.

wikipedia.lipoma.ICD10.structured.data.blank.webp
If structure is important .. I think an easy to use wiki (aka a wiki that will be used by a community) would need easy templates as I have depicted above.

FWIW, I think that structured WYSIWYG templates would be a very advanced feature that would be unlikely to make it into any version 1.0 product.

The main goal of a "Xenforo wiki" or any "Community driven wiki" should be to make it easy for a community to: (1) contribute, (2) find and (3) keep up to date.

An important addage should be: "Adding a wiki entry should be almost as easy as posting a new thread."

and let take site in a deeper view .... if we can make a modular system like what there in a CMS like Jomla the page will contain some code like <dive id="right"><?php site="right" ?></div> or a hooks so the template is placed in ......

Don't follow what you mean here.

Need new features in XenCarta:

Page Flags or Page Status.
- This would list the whole wiki site pages and their statuses.
- Each page would have a Marked as "(ComboBox)".

Example page status (as a combo-box):
- Under construction
- Send to QA --> a person marked as QA gets notified of changes.
- OK --> Publish --> goes to publish and view-able.
- Flagged with mistakes by (Person).
- Flagged as bad content by (external readers).

So the workflow is:
- The writer comes in and write down the content via wiki.
Sits there all day long writing content.

- The QA guy comes a week later and proof-read the whole site and starts marking each page for publishing/needs more work/needs corrections/etc.
- The QA guy pulls up the list of pages marked "send to QA".
- The QA guy flags certain pages which needs correction or further work.
- The QA guy marks all pages OK as "locked". IF any page is changed, it will revert back to "Send to QA" again.

- The writer comes in and fixes those pages with spelling mistakes, grammar or incomplete content.
(and so on...)
- Anything the writer does, the status is set to "Send to QA" or "Under Construction".
- Pages are locked if OK. If unlocked or edited, it will be set back to "Send to QA" or "Under construction".

- The QA guy comes next week and proof-reads the whole site.
- Reviews all changed contents and pages marked "Send to QA"
- Locks those files which are proof-read and marks "OK".

- The writer comes in and fixes those pages with spelling mistakes, grammar or incomplete content.
(and so on...)
- The website guy comes every now and then updates XenForo and makes sure site is working good.

We've got over 250 pages and 1,000 edits so far on Wiki.
Need this feature. Willing to pay for this enhancement.

wiki.sectional.edits.make.updating.wiki.easier.webp

This is a screengrab from a Dokuwiki install.
I like the sectional editing as it makes updating easier.
Easy is good.

I also like the subtle [Edit] icons that only appear if you have Edit permissions.
:)

Top Bottom