native wiki

dvsDave

The biggest blank spot in both VB and IPB is their lack of a native wiki product.

I want a wiki product with multiple namespaces and autolinking of terms from the the forums to the wiki entry. I also want to be able to see a list of terms in the wiki displayed like the memberlist on vb. (characters listed in a row across the top)

You provide that and an import from vbulletin and I'll move in a heartbeat.

Upvote 43
Another wiki fan ...

1) I'd like an in-thread wiki system like Slickdeals has. If you don't know what I mean, check here:

http://slickdeals.net/f/1837791-Discuss-finds-at-Home-Depot

All the wiki's are editable by all users, not only by the OP or mods. Something that's constantly evolving and isn't static. Its something that I'm VERY interested in, as I'd love the ability to be able to not have to tell noobs to "SEARCH NOOB" and can instead point to the wiki every time. Is there an add-on for this?
:)

Xencarta seems like it just became a real wiki with the permissions layer. It is, for instance, much better now than the included one that came with Expression Engine.

I have not adopted it yet, but it sure seems to be able to format well, etc - really a cross between a wiki and an articles/showcase/blog system. I hope we can adopt it because this is the well integrated wiki many of us at XF have been looking for - and the developer has been here since day one. Now all he has to do is start charging for it so he can develop it and feel better about it!
:)

We do a lot of collaborative researching on our forum. It would be great to be able to have a summary of the thread available for editing - either a wiki page or a post with group editable right, so that the conclusions can be easily logged without retreading the thread.
Great idea.
You might also try Google Docs.
I think you can embed a Google Document in a post with bbcode.

I did not use a wiki in any of my project before ... this is my first time so I dont know anything but I install wikimedia and some other wikis .. they were complicated ...
what I need is a editor that use BBcodes and what u see is what u get editor ... so that the forum users can easily contribute to build up the articles .... and have premade templates [as tables and headlines ,,, etc] for the same reasons ....
I need it to be user friendly as Possible but also admin freindly I mean that I can understand it ... xenCarta as in example was simple but it was difficult for me to figure out how to build the template at the begning ... and it was so simple .... it will take time to manupilate it to be what I need it to be ... :(

I know that I dont have the experience to feed u with good info , sorry :)

I'm of the belief that a wiki is overkill for most sites.

A better approach, IMO, would be to allow certain posts to be marked as editable. That is, any user (or those belonging to certain groups) could edit the post. Combine that with a way to bubble up posts the community finds extremely helpful, and you really have all you need for most sites.

Bubble up can be accomplished through stickies and though the custom fields and star ratings??

The way I see it, mods and admins (and maybe some select users) are the best people to determine which these threads or resources are.

These can serve good purposes even on a busy forum. Having a sub-section or directory of posts/wiki/articles that are part of a "start here" type of page or link can be a good thing for most any site.

As I'm in the middle of setting up a XenCarta wiki, thought I'd post some thoughts. Just my experience so far, and my $0.02.

I'm in the process of migrating my site, a site much like this one, which sells and supports a technical product, with several thousand active users at any one time. We've completed the CMS and forum steps of the migration, from Joomla! 1.5 and vBulletin 3.7 to J! 2.5 and XenForo. We use jFusion to control single sign on, with J! as the 'master', using a combo jFusion plugin / XenForo addon which I've taken over ownership of, after the author had to move on.

We also run MediaWiki, which technically has the ability to also have single sign on with J!, but we had so many issues with that, we turned it off. I really am not a big fan of MediaWiki. For what we need, which is very narrowly focused on being a technical wiki for our product, MediaWiki is overkill, and IMHO is hard to 'drive', as even with the rich editing, still requires knowledge of Markdown and Wiki structure. To be frank, I hate wiki editing.

Having a separate Wiki system is problematic in other ways. The key being "separate". There's absolute zero level of integration between it, and where we (us and our clients) live, in the forums / CMS. So having a WiKi which integrates with these, especially in the forums, where references to the Wiki are the most important, could be Godsend.

I'm currently playing with XenCarta. Which looks to have pretty much everything I need in a wiki, and has excellent tight integration with the forums. I particularly like that the discussions exist as threads in designated forums, and that the XC wiki content is included in a global search. It's structurally restrictive, with a simple "each page has a single parent" (one to many) approach, so there's just a single 'pages' table, rather than a "real" wiki's pages, pagelinks, revisions 'many to many' structure. But for what I need, that's fine.

I'm in the middle of importing my MediaWiki content, about 250 pages, in to XenCarta. It won't be a trivial task, but I've already got all the basic content in to XC, by creating a MySQL view of the MediaWiki tables, inner joining the latest revision for each page, that creates the structure the XC tables page uses. I then export that view as CSV, and import it into my XC 'pages' table.

The problematic part of this stage is establishing the tree structure, as there really is no way interpret the MW link relationships to establish which page is "the" (singular) parent of another, as MW uses a 'many to many' relationship for page links. So it looks like I'll have to do a lot of manual restructuring in XC, resetting the 'parent page' for most of the content.

The other issue is of course Markdown. There doesn't seem to be a Markdown to BBCode converter, so I'll need to create something to do that, to at least convert basic formatting, image links, and content links. Which isn't trivial, as it involves a lot of work processing the MW tables to extract actual links from Markup.

The advantages I see of having the wiki full integrated with the forums are tremendous. Just having the wiki included in a forum search will be a massive win, and save us a huge amount of answering questions with a pointer to a wiki page. I think it will also greatly increase the amount of user input in the wiki. I know even I find it a chore to add content to MediaWiki, and would do it a lot more often if it was as routine as posting a thread on the forum. Just these two things combined would make a massive difference.

The only down side I see is having our data in a 'proprietary' format, used only by one addon on one forum system. To me, that's not such a huge issue, as I'm familiar enough with MySQL to import that into something else, if we ever migrated to something else. But I think for any XF based wiki, an import/export with standard MediaWiki would be essential.

Anyway, that's where I'm at ... :)

-- hugh

Top Bottom