Live Update

Live Update 4.0.1

No permission to download
:oops: I have a correction, it's not working on my site at all since the update. I had previously manually applied the TM, which I've now replaced with the new template call but I'm still having no luck.

I also tried changing the Javascript update time, and disabling my "defer JS" add-on but neither had any effect.

EDIT: Just disabled every add-on aside from Live Update and still having no effect.

EDIT2: So I've now confirmed it's not working in any browser, for any user. The TMs are all in place (albeit one manually but in fine), the JS isn't cached and loading fine.

EDIT3: Checking the console I think I've found the issue:

"ReferenceError: $ is not defined", it looks like the problem is due to being called before jQuery itself is.

Last edited:
Why did you manually apply the TM?

You would likely need to uninstall the add-on, remove any custom changes and then reinstall. Also test on a default, unmodified style.

I see the issue now.

The TM was manually applied probably because of the Defer JS add-on.

My JS code is being loaded before jQuery loads so it's basically just not valid.

You need to add that BELOW all the Deferred JS stuff, then it will work; though technically it would have needed to be like that before so maybe you have manually applied the TM in the wrong place?

It's also looking like, looking at the source of your page, that the code is being applied twice.

Bare with me a moment and I think I can sort it.

EDIT: All fixed, as you stated jQuery library call was after the live update JS. My issues when "Defer JS" was already disabled were due to lots of custom changes to the JS load order.

Well, it's never that easy. I now have the title updates flickering on and off, "(1)" appearing and disappearing at different intervals. Confirmed in both Firefox and Chrome so far.

The minimum update time is set to 30 seconds so I believe this is a different conflict with different scripts polling the server and over-writing one another.

EDIT: Confirmed, conflict with TaigaChat Pro trying to update the title with new Shoutbox messages.

EDIT2: Fixed by disabling the "Show alert in window title when new message received" option on TaigaChat.

Dammit, now I'm back to the spinny wheel of boredom. @Chris D do you think certain add-ons could be conflicting with this? Disconnect, Adblock, NoScript, Ghostery, etc.? I tried turning everything off and couldn't get the number icon to show, but now that they're back on its just spinning its wheels again.

Check for outdated templates, yes, things like NoScript will cause an issue - it does use script to do its stuff, make sure your favicon is defined correctly in the Live Updates options, check the Server Error Log to see if any issues are logged, check the browser console to see if any errors are logged there.

I covered that here:

Should you wish to have some sort of pseudo-global control, then I would recommend switching off the account_preferences template modification and running this query:

Code:
UPDATE xf_user_option SET liveupdate_display_option = 'tab_title'

The options are: 'tab_title', 'tab_icon', 'both' or ''

I installed this, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. What should I expect? Is there anything I have to do to activate it? Thanks.

Hey Chris

Little weird issue, may have been covered but I didn't see it right off. Installed on PE and whenever I (or anyone) gets a single alert the browser tab shows 10 or sometimes 11 - even had it up to 33 from 1 convo and 2 alerts. Ideas? :p

My forum is in spanish and I would like to use phrases to translate it into spanish?

Is it possible to add that for the next release?

Just the things that can be seen by regular users, I don't care about things in the Admin panel.

I don't know if the first one in this screenshot is also from this add on.

upload_2014-10-4_11-37-41.webp

Everything there is already phrased. You can translate them in the Admin CP.

The first option is from my Notifications add-on.

Great, thanks! :)

I don't know why, but I didn't get any results when I searched for the prhase that's shown.

Thank you for this great addon!

On Chrome sometimes I have to clear cache to make Favicon Bubble work again (Title works always). In that case it just shows up sometimes on page load for less than a second and dissapears. On some page loads it does not show up at all. After clear cache it works again.

Top Bottom