Live Update

Live Update 4.0.1

No permission to download
I have a user on OSX/FireFox who's having intermittent issues where he loses contact with TAZ and has to restart FF in order to connect. It's happened twice in two days. Are there any reports of this happening with Live Update?

Anyone else having troubles with this on 1.4? Its actually a quite new forum so alerts are not all that common since it mostly just me fiddling around.. So i gues i cant be sure when or why it quit working but its working on my more established forums still on 1.3.

Anyone else having troubles with this on 1.4? Its actually a quite new forum so alerts are not all that common since it mostly just me fiddling around.. So i gues i cant be sure when or why it quit working but its working on my more established forums still on 1.3.
Working fine for us on XenAdmins on 1.4 :)

No sure if this has been covered before, but thought I would post this in case anyone else does the same.

When switching to https with this addon, you need to update the URL to your favicon here.

upload_2014-8-22_10-33-58.webp

Which is true, but there's also a semi-bug that hasn't yet been resolved by the developers of Tinycon where it can try and use the mobile icon logo (which by default is the XF og logo) and that is undesirable in most cases. The workaround is to have the favicon explicitly defined.

Chris D updated Live Update with a new update entry:

More Configurable. New Features. Update Favicon Bubble or Tab Title.

This update to Live Update brings some important new changes:
  • New Display Option: Previous versions of Live Update have focused on altering the favicon.ico file with a small bubble containing the alert count. Now, you can choose to display the count in the page title, instead.
  • User Configuration: Users can now control how Live Update shows to them. They can even turn it off completely. They can display favicon or title count, or both!
  • Some enhancements in the code including one recommended by @Bloodcinder.
This is also an important note about the license of this add-on:

This add on was originally coded by @Naatan and @Robbo but maintained and supported by @Chris D. The code IS open source (though the GitHub repo has not been kept up to date, at the moment) but it is important to note the add-on is licensed under the MIT License.

If you wish to re-use any code from this add-on, or otherwise fork it please ensure the original copyright message is kept in tact. That can be found here:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/live-update.274/field?field=faq

I would also consider it to be a friendly gesture to at least ask permission to copy this code before trying to pass it off as your own.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Where are the new settings located? I can't find them under Options --> Live update options

I think giving users the choice is important here. It defaults to Icon mode which is obviously what it was before the update.

The reason for making it configurable is based on feedback.

I've heard feedback that says:
  • I don't want an icon
  • I want more than just text in the tab
  • I don't want it at all it's distracting
So this basically handles that for everyone.

Should you wish to have some sort of pseudo-global control, then I would recommend switching off the account_preferences template modification and running this query:

Code:
UPDATE xf_user_option SET liveupdate_display_option = 'tab_title'

The options are: 'tab_title', 'tab_icon', 'both' or ''

I installed the update today and it seems to be causing my favicon to hang in perpetituity in Firefox. I just get the constant blue wheel.

In Chrome I'm ok, but in Safari I just get a number on the tab (1) as opposed to the favicon.

Thoughts?

Edit - Ok, seems the Firefox behavior was an addon. Not sure about Safari though.

Edit 2 - So in Firefox, the favicon is showing, but I can't get the 'live update' bubble to show no matter what I do. All addons disabled.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention (but this has always been the case) that Firefox doesn't support favicon bubble changes. It automatically falls back to the text in brackets.

Installed on AVForums running 1.3, ran
Code:
UPDATE xf_user_option SET liveupdate_display_option = 'tab_title'
and that is reflected properly in my preferences, yet I'm still getting the favicon number rather than the title text number.
I've sent you a test message on AVForums to see if it's the same for you.

Fixed.

It was cached JS.

I have forced the JS to refresh on your site Stuart. Any one else who experiences anything similar, please enable Debug mode temporarily, go to Admin CP > Options > Debug Options and change this value:

upload_2014-9-23_9-35-49.webp

(Just increase the number by 1, it is hashed to create the cache buster string at the end of JS URLs).

Last edited:
I forgot to mention (but this has always been the case) that Firefox doesn't support favicon bubble changes. It automatically falls back to the text in brackets.
It's always worked just fine in Firefox on our site, I and two other admins use it as our main browser - this update has broken it for some reason.

o_O

Ok, I will look into that. Maybe I was thinking of Safari... I know it doesn't work on one of the browsers...

I installed the update today and it seems to be causing my favicon to hang in perpetituity in Firefox. I just get the constant blue wheel.

In Chrome I'm ok, but in Safari I just get a number on the tab (1) as opposed to the favicon.

Thoughts?

Edit - Ok, seems the Firefox behavior was an addon. Not sure about Safari though.

Edit 2 - So in Firefox, the favicon is showing, but I can't get the 'live update' bubble to show no matter what I do. All addons disabled.

It's always worked just fine in Firefox on our site, I and two other admins use it as our main browser - this update has broken it for some reason.

Works fine for me at https://xenresources.com:

upload_2014-9-23_10-51-40.webp

It may be a cache issue. Simplest way to fix this is to follow the instructions in the following post:

Fixed.

It was cached JS.

I have forced the JS to refresh on your site Stuart. Any one else who experiences anything similar, please enable Debug mode temporarily, go to Admin CP > Options > Debug Options and change this value:

View attachment 84822

(Just increase the number by 1, it is hashed to create the cache buster string at the end of JS URLs).

Top Bottom