IB hotlinking my site

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone who wants to do what has been done here, ie. show something on sites where people are intentionally stealing your bandwidth, then a simple apache addition such as the below will do it. Just change out the name for your own site, place it at your root in your .htaccess and the last URL is linking to the image you want to display, ie. your logo or other image, ie. Xenforo logo. :D

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(.+\.)?mysite\.com/ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteRule .*\.(jpe?g|gif|bmp|png)$ http://i.imgur.com/qX4w7.gif [L]

For anyone who wants to do what has been done here, ie. show something on sites where people are intentionally stealing your bandwidth, then a simple apache addition such as the below will do it. Just change out the name for your own site, place it at your root in your .htaccess and the last URL is linking to the image you want to display, ie. your logo or other image, ie. Xenforo logo. :D

i didn't want to do that because I don't mind when my users hotilink an image. this was way different though

I've been following this post for a little while now and thought that I might as well post. It took IB long enough to realize what was happening...lul they deserved that for hotlinking to your images though.

This was great Mutt! LOL

How did you figure out that they were hotlinking to your images?

i'm having site issues. don't know if it's related to addons I installed yesterday or what but the server was crashing. while trying to see why I checked the server error logs & saw them calling images I had deleted in dec. it brought be to their site & then their smilie page. I looked at the source & was blow away at how many times my images were listed. 70 in all.

More seriously, how could anyone do this? I don't mean technically, but the idea that an IB site has such a clueless and immature webmaster/admin is sorta freaky! You'd think this is a "firing" offense.

More seriously, how could anyone do this? I don't mean technically, but the idea that an IB site has such a clueless and immature webmaster/admin is sorta freaky! You'd think this is a "firing" offense.
Exactly what I thought, we're not in the 1990's anymore...

dude.......

really?

I mean.....

REALLY!?

LOL and WTF TO THIS

This might possibly be the stupidest move I have ever seen in my life.

How does the child of a parent company rationalize not only using a party's graphics that they happen to be suing...but then also steal bandwidth from a personal user's server that is also a member of said party's website who also happens to be a solid member and contributor to that site (here @ XF)...

Is this real or is it a joke...I mean ...for real....that chit is crazy.

Now if there was only away to allow X domain to hotlink, but deny everyone else.

I use sociallyuncensored.com as my CDN and so images are there, but site is at sociallyuncensored.eu

Problem with disabling hot link is I end up blocking myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom