IB hotlinking my site

Status
Not open for further replies.
This post made my day. HYSTERICAL!
I call it pathetic.
I'm not defending IB for a moment, but it's open season to bash them at the first chance someone finds.
At one point it was not tolerated. Now it is.

So it was a xenforo customer. What that had to do with xenforo, I don't understand.
Namecheap didn't renew a registration. Thought that was already discussed in another thread.
I have several domains with Namecheap and had no problems.
What would happen if one of IB's domains didn't renew?
I'm moving my remaining domains I have with Network Solutions to Namecheap.

It doesn't matter whether I have 1 domain or 500.
Granted, auto renew should be automatic.
But credit card numbers change, emails don't get read. Stuff happens.

I call it pathetic.
I'm not defending IB for a moment, but it's open season to bash them at the first chance someone finds.

So it was a xenforo customer. What that had to do with xenforo, I don't understand.
Namecheap didn't renew a registration. Thought that was already discussed in another thread.
I have several domains with Namecheap and had no problems.
What would happen if one of IB's domains didn't renew?
I'm moving my remaining domains I have with Network Solutions to Namecheap.

It doesn't matter whether I have 1 domain or 500.
Granted, auto renew should be automatic.
But credit card numbers change, emails don't get read. Stuff happens.
I was talking about OP >.>

LOL and I've had terrible experiences with Network Solutions. My experience with them is much like with 1and1

Always prefer godaddy and domainsite but that's just personal experience.

Sure.... IB, a billion dollar corporation, needs to steal smilie bandwidth for 1 site from some other obscure small site.

Are you guys REALLY this unrealistic?
The point here is... IB only cares about making money, so they tend to overlook the small things like this and as a consequence look very amateurish.

Anyone who knows anything about this company knows this. They buy sites, put ads on it, and make money. That's their business plan. That's also the reason they didn't rewrite vB. Quick money, screw customers.

I sometimes wonder how they have any customers left at all. I guess the old developers and managers did such a great job that the company is still reaping the benefits of that work. The question is for how long...

I call it pathetic.

Stuff happens.

Exactly, and that was my point. The hotlinking thing was a simple mistake. Stuff happens. Just like the domain renewal was a simple mistake. We're all human and make them. Apparantly, for some, IB isnt allowed to make mistakes without being ridiculed.

People are bashing IB for this just like they hotly bashed XF for the domain name renewal.
Tit for tat.

People are bashing IB for this just like they hotly bashed XF for the domain name renewal.
Tit for tat.
I recall the only bashing on the domain renewal where from xenforo members.
And back on that subject, Namecheap should not be held 100% accountable.

I guess bashing is only human nature.

I personally don't have any reason to bash IB. I simply find it ridiculous for several admins not to know something like this was occuring on their site, for what appears to be over a year now. If it was any other site, I would have the same response.

Apparantly, for some, IB isnt allowed to make mistakes without being ridiculed.
Apparently, for some, XenForo isn't allowed to run a business without being sued (for no good reason).

I hope we are still allowed to laugh at silly mistakes, or are they going to sue people for that too?

This thread has gone from entertaining to pathetic.

This. 2 pages later people are still trying to make this into a major drama, a mountain out of the molehill, including the author of that quote above who seems to be immune to his own advice. Really guys...this is how you entertain yourselves now? (n)

If I'm into purchasing sites, I would be doing my research on the site first. IB obviously did not. Wouldn't something like this be one of the first checks on your list? .
Checking if the smilies on the site are actually hotlinked to another site (without permission) ?

No, I doubt thats on anyones list when they are buying a site, and certainly not one of the first things that would spring to mind.

I guess I'm going to have to side mostly with the vB fanatics on this one. As much as I dislike the folks at IB, checking whether or not a site was stealing bandwidth from another would be the last thing on my mind.

Either way, it what was done was still funny as hell.

The beginning of this thread was fairly funny, after that it was not. However, one thing people should keep in mind that a lot of people (here and elsewhere) are not exactly happy with IB. Not only because of the lawsuit, but also because of the vB4 stuff, how members have been treated the last 3 years or so by IB, and many other things. We're not allowed to make nasty comments about them here (which in my opinion is a good thing), and we're not allowed to vent our frustrations at vB.com (and even if we did, it would make no difference as it's not likely anything is going to change). So if something like this comes along, we're laughing as it's the big bully at school tripping and falling with his head in the cake. Yes, it's probably not their fault, and no most of us most likely wouldn't have checked the settings for it either, and yes the revenge might have been somewhat inappropriate. But it's not what happened that much, rather it's a moment we can laugh at something we have been frustrated about for ages. So while I think changing those smilies to a xF icon, accusing IB of things wasn't the best of ideas and I don't really agree with it, I still laughed about it and understand why others did.

I'd have laughed even if it wasn't IB.

I still use other paid forum software, but xenforo is my fave and once I get enough traffic on my other sites I'll be moving them over to XF. <3 XF (should be a t-shirt!)

I think this is a lesson learned for anyone who takes over a site or pays someone else to do their work. DOUBLE CHECK.
I admit what Sador said is very true. Anyone could've skipped over that. But now that we see what could happen, we all have a great memory to remind us NOT to do this.

Reactions: Cal
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom