I Like 'Like'

All this thanks, I like and giving bad rep sucks in my opinion, if you can't take the time to post your thoughts in response within a thread, to me that ruins content, robs the forums of possible great threads and hurts the growth prospects of the forum long term, that is why forum admins should be able to shut all this stuff off if they choose to do so.

All this thanks, I like and giving bad rep sucks in my opinion, if you can't take the time to post your thoughts in response within a thread, to me that ruins content, robs the forums of possible great threads and hurts the growth prospects of the forum long term, that is why forum admins should be able to shut all this stuff off if they choose to do so.

You tell 'em buster!

I hated the 'thank you' module when it came out years ago, so this is nothing personal against the Xenforo 'like system', it is much better than the highly flawed vB reputation system which is commonly abused by circles of 'insider trolls' on many forums, in fact the vB reputation system is used to lynch new members in many cases.

Just like vbulletin reputation lacks notifications & post visibility, it also lacks a moderation queue and a report function. I have added all that and much more and it makes my big board almost community moderated and without abuse. The reputation system drives up my post quality to the extreme, and quickly gets rid of trolls and problem makers.

XF has implemented notifications beautifully and its great that its a 1 click function. The likes system offers no possibility to let the community address inappropriate content. If a bad post is not reported, it does not affect the poster at all.
If I hit the like button, then does that mean I like you, or find your avatar hot, or want to give you some kudos, or does it relate to post quality? It doesnt say if I like the post a little, average or if its my favorite. It does not give any way to let you know how to improve your posts or what I like about your post. On forums content is king. Especially when it comes to SEO. I don't see how the likes function improves post quality.

The notifications do make XF very addictive.

adding dislike.

If there would be a dislike button (which I hope will never see the day of light), I would have pressed it now...
wink.png

Hmm, I guess I see the opposite effect of this decision. This could have been a great admin tool to gauge trending topics, images, users as a way of developing metrics for a community.

An admin tool may be something to investigate at some point. I simply want to avoid users soliciting likes in order to be able to compare their Likes stats with other users in a 'most liked users' list etc.

I guess in the process of avoiding something bad, you avoided something extremely good. A shame. Internal metrics for communities are going to be a requirement for any professional community forum venture. Cutting out those abilities just to prevent users seeing the "most liked", ouch.

I think the like button serves its purpose 'to positively agree with the comment' but if you disagree, how do you express this? When does a disagreement become an argument that needs a mod to step in?

I'd like to see an 'agree to disagree' button. (Maybe call it an AtoD or a thumbs down - just a thought to abbreviate the text = save space).

This is a less confrontational (a positive negative so to speak) method to say you disagree but concede that the other person is entitled to their point of view.

A forum is a place to share, in my experience, life is about sharing, that requires some give & take, it's a compromise, it allows you to say how you feel but without the agro - simply 'agree to disagree'

I think it shows maturity to express disagreement in a constructive manner... disagreement isn't a bag thing, it's just another perspective.

Something that is often lost when typing is tone of voice, how you feel isn't always conveyed. In a face to face conversation, it's not always what you say, but the tone in which it's said.

To kiss ass is easy, to say hang on, I feel this... or that is very difficult, especially on a screen. Lets have some balance, without left there's no right, without hot there's no cold, up,down, in out etc.......... lads & lasses, lets have a world's first - lets not be a facebook brown nose, lets be grown up, break new ground & have a simple agree to disagree button!

• Do you like?
  • Do you agree to disagree?
  • Do you dislike?
  • Do you start another unnecessary poll?
+1 vote from me!

p.s. I'd also like to see a 'make sticky' button. After 'X' amount of make sticky requests have been recored, the mod can decide whether to make it a sticky, or not... less mess & less forum filled with wasted 'I agree' comments.

To kiss ass is easy...
I strongly disagree.

Think about it; the kissee has to be in the correct position - which can be, at times, unnatural and stressful, they have to provide clear entre and egress to and from the general vicinity of the ass, and finally, the kisser has to enjoy the general bouquet of ass, which can vary significantly depending on personal habits, age and ethnicity. All of this can add up to create quite a formidable task!

You really should think things through before you say them.

LOL, what is even more repulsive is when you have identified the arse kissers and know the agenda thereof Michael.

Damn, where's that agree to disagree button... depends how old you are re: entre & egress - I like Tai-Chi & can kiss my own ass - (It was costing me way too much & if you want it done properly, do it yourself )

I strongly disagree.

Think about it; the kissee has to be in the correct position - which can be, at times, unnatural and stressful, they have to provide clear entre and egress to and from the general vicinity of the ass, and finally, the kisser has to enjoy the general bouquet of ass, which can vary significantly depending on personal habits, age and ethnicity. All of this can add up to create quite a formidable task!

You really should think things through before you say them.
rofl.gif
WOW you put alot of thought into this post, lol.

I would "like" to use the "like" system as a quick voting measure to move threads, etc. It's better than starting a war with a "yes" or "no" option.

I've been think some more about this. A simple way to leverage the like system to promote engagement would be to use it to auto-add members to your "Following" list based on an admin settable # of likes of that member's content. It's a one time addition, so the member can just take someone out, but if you paired it with better visibility/promotion of "Your Newsfeed" it would have the ability to get people engaged with people they LIKE. I've detailed some more about this in a Suggestion.

Top Bottom