I Like 'Like'

LOL, I still have to respect your power over me (to ban).

PS: Now you know first hand how the system can be abused, and will be abused by users.

I'm not ruining it, there needs to be limit options built into it so forum admin's can control the feature, or turn it on or off when they want to.

When users abuse it that is what the user discouragement feature is for :). On seconds thought that would be great if there was an option in user discouragement for % that like will be disabled for them :) or just something to disable like.(for people that are under discouraged...)

You can't see (without add-ons) the most Liked post on the forum, nor can you see your own most Liked post etc., or the 10 most liked people etc. This has been a conscious decision, as I don't want to turn 'Like' into a competition

Strongly agreed.
I once made the mistake to enable the vb reputation system and hell break loose. Lession learned. The way like is implemented here it's a really nice feature.

but can anyone else think of useful, socially engaging uses for 'Likes' ?

Maybe implement a way that an admin is able to setup different kind of Likes? E.g. in one thread a user suggested "Prayers" but as I'm not religious I could also think of other uses like when you want to express your caring e.g. when your pet dies....

Reputation module especially when it is abused by the 'power circle' of resident trolls on a forum is really a bad thing Walter.

I go on other forums and see a post I like and .......... oooops there's no Like link!
Those other softwares are so behind the times.

Other software has the same thing under different names - Thanks, Karma, Reputation. All are post based ways of doing the same thing. ;)

Strongly agreed.
I once made the mistake to enable the vb reputation system and hell break loose. Lession learned. The way like is implemented here it's a really nice feature.
I have also disabled the reputation system on our IP.Board from the start because of possible reputation fights. But the like system is really different and I don't see any negative aspect, yet. ^^

I just thought I'd say that although we essentially copied the functionality of 'Like' from Facebook, I now consider it to be a fundamental part of my forum experience. All too often I am reading through unread threads, and I want to add my appreciation for a post, either because it's said something useful, or amusing, or clever, or something I agree with... and the ability to do that with a single click is both extremely convenient and time-saving.

I feel the exact same way about the post rating system on Facepunch.com, though the presence of a like/thanks system somewhat makes up for it.

A couple of screenshots:

zkf4.png

l11l.png

If something similar were included in XenForo it would be absolutely awesome. Maybe it's time I wrote another addon :P

I feel the exact same way about the post rating system on Facepunch.com, though the presence of a like/thanks system somewhat makes up for it.

A couple of screenshots:

zkf4.png

l11l.png

If something similar were included in XenForo it would be absolutely awesome. Maybe it's time I wrote another addon :P
That looks very busy, I can't imagine that it would appeal to those who value the clean, uncluttered UI offered by XenForo, though I certainly know of a few forums that might make use of such a system. Definitely looks like a candidate for an add on to me.

That looks very busy, I can't imagine that it would appeal to those who value the clean, uncluttered UI offered by XenForo, though I certainly know of a few forums that might make use of such a system. Definitely looks like a candidate for an add on to me.
I would use it since my community is based on almost the same stuff as facepunch (GMod and other games).
Also I've always liked that feature on FP.

A couple of screenshots:

zkf4.png

l11l.png

It is looking too clunky to me.

Other software has the same thing under different names - Thanks, Karma, Reputation. All are post based ways of doing the same thing. ;)
It's the integration with the alerts that made Likes better than all previous iterations.
So all other forums have "Like"-like options, just poorly implemented.
I suggest vBulletin carbon-copy xenforo's Likes.

What does the "winner" mean in that screenshot DI?

It's just one of the possible ratings - it makes up part of what 'like' covers, along with Agree, Useful, Informative, Artistic, Funny, Zing and Friendly. So many more opinions that can be expressed rather than just a generic 'like' (and 'dislike' if you include the other ratings - Disagree, Optimistic, Late and Dumb)

It's just one of the possible ratings - it makes up part of what 'like' covers, along with Agree, Useful, Informative, Artistic, Funny, Zing and Friendly. So many more opinions that can be expressed rather than just a generic 'like' (and 'dislike' if you include the other ratings - Disagree, Optimistic, Late and Dumb)

OIC - I thought perhaps this was possibly the most "liked" post of the thread indicator with the most likes and thus was the winning post for most number of likes for that thread. Thanks DI :)

Top Bottom