Friend Inviter [Paid] [Deleted]

Right now, it works like this.

1) You go to the Friend Inviter page:
vLJgk.png

2) You click a service such as Gmail and you authenticate. Your contacts are then loaded:
glpwj.png

As you can see, in this example, someone in my contacts already has an e-mail address registered on this site. So I can choose to follow them. Alternatively, the bottom most box allows me to select a number of my contacts to invite. I can filter the contacts too.

3) After selecting some contacts, you can customise your invite:
ZGDF0.png

4) The invite is then sent by e-mail and looks like this:

GSSqU.png

In terms of Facebook, it operates very similarly.

You do not see a list of users currently on the site because there's no real way of identifying who is signed up and who isn't. Unless they've signed up using Facebook login... But at the moment I haven't implemented a check to check that. With the Facebook API you do not see the user's e-mail address so we can't compare users in the same way as Gmail.

Aside from that, the screen is identical to the Gmail screen and shows you a list of your Facebook friends and currently allows you to select your friends and send them a personalised message.

In this current version of the add-on: Once you click invite, the text is posted to the selected friend's timelines. So, right now, no. That part isn't like in the video. Also this isn't supported by Facebook so it appears as though your users can get their Facebook accounts blocked due to spam.

In the next version of the add-on (no strict ETA, yet): Each friend will have an "Invite" button (I've removed the photos and names of my Facebook friends). Clicking on the Invite button will load the Facebook "Send" Dialogue, exactly like Pinterest:

Wi04t.png

You will have to either invite each friend one at a time, or once you've clicked the Invite button for one friend, just type their names in.

This is the same as Pinterest. Note: Pinterest used to have an "Invite All" button, but this I believe was against the Facebook terms of service and they have since removed it.

Once you click "Send" the invite will be sent as a direct inbox message. Facebook does not support actions like this being posted in public. So that is one area where the functionality will be different in the next version.

I hope that clears things up a little.

Just a heads up.. FB did a big sweep today, several large apps URLs were perm banned too.. Repeat offenders are also getting the FB account tied to the app creation perm banned too.. So it is no longer a "meh, they banned my app.. update key and api in xF to a new.. all set" They are going after all apps that post on their wall or auto tag friends. Please Chris, we paid money for this app, please get this fixed ASAP.

is there any script available with ZEND-framework, like e.g. "Friend Invite" ?

Last edited:
Does this send to users walls (public) or in private messages?

I would like something like this that would send to a users email address via all the leading email providers and facebook pm's.

"All leading email providers" - currently this only supports finding contacts in your Gmail account, but support for others will be added in the future. I'm happy to take guidance on which should be next. Maybe Hotmail (or whatever it calls itself these days). Last time I looked at Hotmail, the API was pretty crap though so we'll have to see.

"public or private messages" - version 1.5 (will be released very soon, I promise!) will include a new mechanism that is supported fully by Facebook. It uses the Facebook Send dialog API to send messages as private messages.

I am hoping that version 1.5 will include the ability to send Twitter DMs but I am still looking through the documentation for that.

1.5 may come out first to fix the current Facebook issues (it currently posts on timelines and Facebook do not like this) then 1.6 might include extra services.

EDIT: You can check out a demo of version 1.5 so far at http://www.deemit.co.uk/friend-inviter

Hey Chris,

Did you ever get a chance to see if you could tie this into the Profile Complete addon from Robbo? Would love this to be a task :).

Sorry didn't mean a task for you. I meant a task in the Profile Complete addon :)
I know, but the wording task works quite well in both contexts so I thought I'd use it :)

Yeah it's a task for us to get it created as a task in the completion steps add-on :)

IMPORTANT: I have rewritten a lot of code and structuring the whole lot better so that it would be easier to add new services in the future. Therefore there will be a very small change to make if you wish Google invites to continue working after version 1.5 is released.

Currently after a user logs in with Google, you have set it up so that they will be redirected to a URL such as:

http://www.deemit.co.uk/index.php?friend-inviter/code
OR
http://www.deemit.co.uk/friend-inviter/code
OR
http://www.deemit.co.uk/community/friend-inviter/code

This will need to be changed to something like:

http://www.deemit.co.uk/friend-inviter/google/callback

The exact URL you need is actually supplied to you in the add-on options. It varies slightly depending on the URL structure you use and XenForo location. Based on my examples above (it's basically change the bit that says friend-inviter/code to friend-inviter/google/callback) you should be able to add the correct URL immediately.

You can add additional URLs so the system will continue working before and after the update happens.

Here's a shot of the full instructions:

dJymk.png

Ok, so I actually have started work on implementing Twitter to the Friend Inviter.

My plan was to use it to send DMs to your followers, but, actually, I fear we might end up with another "Facebook situation" whereby your messages or accounts may get blocked for spam.

Therefore it is my intention to use the built in Twitter "web intents" feature which will allow you to send public tweets that mention your friends/followers.

Twitter impose some pretty ghastly limits on the number of users you can search for at a time... only 100.

My plan is to do two queries. One to get your friends (people you follow), and one to get your followers (people who follow you). If one of those contains over 100 users then a random selection of 100 users will be displayed. I've gone through many different ways of doing this including collecting all in multiple requests but the API completely shot me down in flames. So, right now, the 100 users limit stays and will be a random selection.

This means there'll be a maximum of 200 users on each Twitter request that you can send messages to. Like Facebook you will only be able to click one "Invite" button at a time, but you can then type however many names into the Tweet (upto 140 characters including the names of course!).

Top Bottom