Friend Inviter [Paid] [Deleted]

I think I have away to cut back on your work and without people risking app bans

Hoot Suite has a partnership with all the social media providers. And so anything that goes through them to post on your Facebook, Twitter, Google, ect.... ect.... Is approved

http://hootsuite.com/developers/api

They have an API for development.

I'm just thinking outside the box here

"All leading email providers" - currently this only supports finding contacts in your Gmail account, but support for others will be added in the future. I'm happy to take guidance on which should be next. Maybe Hotmail (or whatever it calls itself these days). Last time I looked at Hotmail, the API was pretty crap though so we'll have to see.

"public or private messages" - version 1.5 (will be released very soon, I promise!) will include a new mechanism that is supported fully by Facebook. It uses the Facebook Send dialog API to send messages as private messages.

I am hoping that version 1.5 will include the ability to send Twitter DMs but I am still looking through the documentation for that.

1.5 may come out first to fix the current Facebook issues (it currently posts on timelines and Facebook do not like this) then 1.6 might include extra services.

EDIT: You can check out a demo of version 1.5 so far at http://www.deemit.co.uk/friend-inviter

Thanks for the response Chris. I think Hotmail and Gmail would be good.

I think when 1.5 is released you will have another user here.

Thanks for the response Chris. I think Hotmail and Gmail would be good.

I think when 1.5 is released you will have another user here.
I might even make it Friend Inviter 2.0. I've rewritten a lot of the code, refactored some other, the Facebook bit is rewritten, Twitter functionality has been added and I am going to aim for Hotmail to be in the next version too.

So it's a pretty major release. 2.0 seems more appropriate :)

When do you think it may be completed?
I've almost got the Twitter functionality down which has taken me a few days. If I add another e-mail service it really depends on how the API is as to how long it will take.

I am considering a price increase after I release 2.0. But there will be an introductory price for a week or so (same as the current price) before this kicks in. Will probably be looking at increasing to £15 a week after release.

Short answer: I hope to have this done by next weekend.

Just an update, I think I'm getting carried away ;)

As it stands, right now, Friend Inviter 2.0 should be released this week (if I can ever stop tweaking it and adding features :p).

However, whereas I previously said it would include Hotmail... it won't. Seriously, the LiveConnect API (by Microsoft for Hotmail and others) is absolutely terrible. The e-mail addresses are not available to us when we use the Live Connect API. This renders any invite system based off it completely useless.

Good news, however, is it will include Yahoo :)

Watching this thread... all of these options from inviting friends are great

The Hotmail one would be impressive
Which are the most commonly used Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo?

Once updated, will we be able use the the same download links to get the update?

Yes, keep hold of the download link you already have. It will always contain the latest version.

I love FetchApp, but it does have a tendency to not send e-mails sometimes when there's an update. But as the download link always points to the latest version you should be ok.

Yeah they're the big 3, I think.

Sadly, Hotmail support is very unlikely. The LiveConnect Contacts API does not give access to e-mail addresses via the API :rolleyes:

Bravo. Microsoft.

I'd have already released this by now, but the Yahoo API is being awkward too.

You have to sign requests using a HMAC-SHA1 signature. I am following the documentation perfectly, but every time I get an invalid signature error.

I saw this randomness with Twitter too on my Social Connect add-on. The request would work when being sent using the default CURL commands, but fail when trying to do it using the XenForo/Zend HTTP Client Helper.

I need to get back into it, but needless to say seeing the same error message constantly rattled my cage somewhat so I've been avoiding it for a few days :cautious:

(I'm just going through it, so I might pump out a few potential enhancements, some might be just dumb user errors on my behalf, don't feel you have to fix/do any that you don't agree with)

Enhancement / something that got dropped?

*1 Multi Selecting FaceBook Users ( little tick box against each name, so you can select each user and invite all of the selected users in one go, rather than having to invite each individually)

fb.webp

I think I saw this in an earlier version... would be good if it was there again

*2 Auto Fill the FB message option

Is it possible to auto fill the message option sent to users via FaceBook

You have an option to auto Fill a message ... this works, but to users it looks at though they are still required to enter more text in the message. If this was auto-pupulated with a title ("you've been invited to Join Surrey Forum), it might be better

messagefb.webp

The less people need to fill in, the more they will feel inclined to send it (making it easier for them to send an invite in just a click)

Thanks for both suggestions.

Neither are possible, unfortunately.

The original version of this (you have the beta version right now) enabled you to select multiple users and it would post on their timelines in bulk. This was seriously frowned upon to the point Facebook were blocking users from doing it :(

So the new version includes the Facebook send dialog and there is no way of passing multiple users to the initial send pop up. Interestingly, this is the same way that Pinterest handles invites. About six months ago, it was absolutely possible on their site to select multiple users and pass this back to the dialog. It transpires that at the time they were either: a) white-listed by Facebook and allowed to do this or b) using some unsupported method of adding multiple contacts.

In the case of a or b, it is now true that they do not allow this. I can only assume Facebook no longer allowed this or plugged whatever hole was allowing them to add multiple.

As for the second... Facebook seemingly have a policy where we're not allowed to put words in their user's mouths, so to speak. You are not allowed to pass anything to the message parameter. The only way to pass our own captions to them is via the Facebook caption option which appears just below the site link.

Actually, the user doesn't have to enter a message (if I recall correctly), so they don't have to type a message and they can just hit send.

Most of the limitations you will find with this are sadly limitations with the API.

For example with the Twitter one. It only allows you to fetch 100 users at a time. So I fetch 100 followers and then another request to fetch 100 friends.

Ultimately what I will do is cache the results over multiple requests and then paginate them, but right now you get a random 100 followers and a random 100 friends.

I think their point of view on it is the fact that once you've clicked one user, you can then type in the "To" box as many other names as you want. But I am doing a little test based on that documentation so check back here in a second...

EDIT: Confirmed. Big fat fail.

This code is from my invite_facebook.js. Ordinarily, we just pass the ID of the input element which is basically the Facebook ID of that user.

As you can see I have commented that out and in its place I have hard coded two IDs, just as that documentation suggests.

Now when I click an invite button, only the first user is populated in the to field.

PHP:
			FB.ui(
				{
					method: 'send',
					name: inviteName,
					link: inviteUrl,
					picture: inviteImage,
					description: inviteDescription,
					//to: ($input).attr('id')
					to: ["628149992","634901062"]
				},

This must be how Pinterest was doing it, and now they aren't. They're doing it one invite at a time (with the ability to type any extra names you wish after the dialog is loaded).

Not ideal. Maybe we just need to make it clearer that you can type additional names.

have you tried to: [628149992,634901062]

I noticed the filters param does not wrap the ids in quotes: user_ids: [1, 2, 3]

It's worth a shot... but, yes.. possibly something they retracted

Good thinking, especially as they're integers rather than strings...

And........

Nope.

Buggers ;)

Hey Chris, I have just added "Watch".

I have been using RagTek's Invite System but as he is no longer around so I knew I had to find an alternative and saw yours some time ago. Today I logged in to purchase yours and found an update about to arrive so I will hold off...please don't forget me

As a side note and referring to RagTek's mod, I have spent thousands of dollars over the years on mods, back in the vb days and even since coming to XF and have lost so much money due to mod developers leaving, not supporting their mods or not updating to next versions etc. Don't know if people remember vbClassifieds or PhotoPlog etc etc etc...what is even worse is having data in old mods and trying to convert/import without severely impacting my site users (note this comment has absolutely nothing to do with Chris...it is just me having a ***** losing money to a previous developer and having to change mods again)

Anyway, Chris...chalk me up for a purchase of the new release

Coming soon... (probably today!)

NOevqqn.png

Top Bottom