Forum community options

I used both IPS and Xen. Both are very easy to use admin wise. The major difference in my opinion between the two is that Xen has a larger selection of 3rd party add ons. One thing that IPS has that I think is a plus is a page editor. You could create pages very easily on it.

I used both IPS and Xen. Both are very easy to use admin wise. The major difference in my opinion between the two is that Xen has a larger selection of 3rd party add ons. One thing that IPS has that I think is a plus is a page editor. You could create pages very easily on it.

Plus finer control over permissions, style settings and settings generally. Whether or not these are major depends on the use case.

You mean codeless? If so, great
XF is one of the easier scripts to "style" in many ways. There are a ton of style properties available that control many aspects of it when compared to IPS (4.3 version I ran, but I doubt it's improved much considering what they did with ability to do custom CSS edits).
You can also tweak a site quite a bit with simple CSS/LESS code in extra.less which is a standard template in XF.
In fact, the pipe site in my sig is basically a default XF style that has been primarily tweaked via extra.less with some slightuse of the style properties options.

XF is one of the easier scripts to "style" in many ways. There are a ton of style properties available that control many aspects of it when compared to IPS (4.3 version I ran, but I doubt it's improved much considering what they did with ability to do custom CSS edits).
You can also tweak a site quite a bit with simple CSS/LESS code in extra.less which is a standard template in XF.
In fact, the pipe site in my sig is basically a default XF style that has been primarily tweaked via extra.less with some slightuse of the style properties options.
That's what I've done basically too. Made a copy of the default XF theme (then unchecked it from use), then changed the colors and added backgrounds behind the content to make our own style/theme in a sense, but also using standard XF style, so pretty much 100% of the addons should work with it no issue.

It isn't necessary to make a copy of the default style.
Just style the original one.
Errr... until you need to test something under a default style and don't want to have to go through the trouble of creating it again. ;)
It's simpler leaving the default style untouched and disabled for normal users, create a new style and mess with it. How often have we been asked "does it work under the default style" when pursuing support (either via ticket or from community).

Last edited:
Errr... until you need to test something under a default style and don't want to have to go through the trouble of creating it again. ;)
It's simpler leaving the default style untouched and disabled for normal users, create a new style and mess with it. How often have we been asked "does it work under the default style" when pursuing support (either via ticket or from community).
Default theme just inherits from Master, so you can just create a new Default.

Default theme just inherits from Master, so you can just create a new Default.
The point is... why?
You can simply KEEP the default one, create a working one and then if you DO need to "test on a default", it's already there but is simply disabled for normal user choice.. you as an admin can still immediately select it to test to see if it is specific to your style you are working on due to add-on interaction or whatever. Saves having to regenerate it time and time again.
In fact, mine is called Plain Jane shipping XF default so there is no mistaking that it is a totally unmodified style to test against.

The point is... why?
You can simply KEEP the default one, create a working one and then if you DO need to "test on a default", it's already there but is simply disabled for normal user choice.. you as an admin can still immediately select it to test to see if it is specific to your style you are working on due to add-on interaction or whatever. Saves having to regenerate it time and time again.
In fact, mine is called Plain Jane shipping XF default so there is no mistaking that it is a totally unmodified style to test against.
You can add it back later.
no need to debug it as it's already a stablised version.

You can add it back later.
no need to debug it as it's already a stablised version.
Once more... WHY?
It doesn't hurt having it there, and it saves some time to not have to regenerate it when you need it, then delete it, then regenerate it again if you need to.
It is also handy to have in case you are helping someone else trouble shoot as you have clean templates and CSS that are not customized by a paid/downloaded style.
And guess what... yes, there IS a need to "debug" it, as over the years I have found several instances of where an add-on was NOT playing well with a custom style, but worked fine in the default style.

The point is... why?
Point was that editing the default doesn't actually break anything, so it's not like it's an issue.

Point was that editing the default doesn't actually break anything, so it's not like it's an issue.
Agreed, but neither does simply creating a new one and modifying it and leaving the default alone and unselectable by users. That way if you need to test against a default style it is already there and you can immediately do so.

Agreed, but neither does simply creating a new one and modifying it and leaving the default alone and unselectable by users. That way if you need to test against a default style it is already there and you can immediately do so.
Can 100% guarantee more people are going to edit the base style rather than create a new style.

The biggest frustration I had with Xenique was literally undoing peoples edits, and then helping them redo them under a child style.

Can 100% guarantee more people are going to edit the base style rather than create a new style.
Yep.... and frequently they leave it named as Default...
I can also 100% guarantee you that people go out and do plenty of things that aren't the best thought out to do also.
The biggest frustration I had with Xenique was literally undoing peoples edits, and then helping them redo them under a child style.
And thank you for simply re-enforcing that what was mentioned earlier is the better choice to do... creating a different style from any "base" and work off of it.
For the default style.. either way works... but why put extra work on yourself when you already have the default base and can easily on the front end (and only once) create a separate/child style off of it instead of needing to go out and specifically recreate a base style to check each time you might need to verify if it's the modified styles impact.

when you already have the default base and can easily on the front end (and only once) create a separate/child style off of it
This is incorrect.

If you really want to have a default style which is left completely untouched and unused for the very rare occasion you may need one for troubleshooting style issues, the new default style you create should have no parent.

Top Bottom