Implemented  Drop the "star" image for threads with new posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma

I feel the difference between bold thread titles and non-bold thread titles is enough to distinguish between threads that have new/unread posts in them. I would stop using the "star" image (
list-item-new.png
) for this purpose, and consider using it for a new purpose-- to designate "hot" threads (threads with lots of recent activity), like vB3 did with the normally blue thread icon to an orangish color. (
hot-thread-png.239
)

Attachments

• hot-thread.webp
    hot-thread.webp
    1.2 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I like Forsaken's idea, it's different, interesting and a neat solution.
I'm not sure if that would mean the icons would have to be a lot smaller though.

I just resized them to fit within the guides, because I'm getting ready to go to work soon (And to make icons the same size).

While its not the -best- implementation, it would group all the icons that I know are likely to be used (User has posted in thread, new reply in thread, sticky, locked) into a single area, and doesn't clutter the page much.

I like Forsaken's idea, it's different, interesting and a neat solution.
I'm not sure if that would mean the icons would have to be a lot smaller though.

I think it not very good UI design to put 4 different icons in the same area on top of each other like in his screenshot. Icons like this should not be on top of each other/scrammed together.

I think it not very good UI design to put 4 different icons in the same area on top of each other like in his screenshot. Icons like this should not be on top of each other/scrammed together.
I agree.

We really don't even need the star icon anymore... so essentially, we have three icons. Three doesn't seem like too many to line up in a horizontal row. It'd look much better, and not as cramped as it is in the mockup.

I agree.

We really don't even need the star icon anymore... so essentially, we have three icons. Three doesn't seem like too many to line up in a horizontal row. It'd look much better, and not as cramped as it is in the mockup.

In another post I think Mike stated they added functionality to show where a user has posted, which I used the star for.

Reason I put them in rows is because locked/sticky aren't anything like showing new posts or what thread you've posted in, and it just makes more sense to me to have them separated in the way I put them.

And as I said, this is far from a good implementation, its just an option.

In another post I think Mike stated they added functionality to show where a user has posted, which I used the star for.

Reason I put them in rows is because locked/sticky aren't anything like showing new posts or what thread you've posted in, and it just makes more sense to me to have them separated in the way I put them.

And as I said, this is far from a good implementation, its just an option.

Oh, okay; I wasn't sure if you used the star or the chat bubble for "thread you've posted in". Either way, if we keep the blue dot, we only need one of those two icons (IMO, the chat bubble better signifies a thread you've posted in). But anyways, we also have to remember that all sticky threads will be at the top of the forum list... so it's not really an icon you will see throughout the list of threads; only at the top.

In which case new posts and your posts could be stacked in 1 column and stickies and locked could be in the next column.

In most cases all you will see will be the 2 icons for new posts and your posts.

I'm sure Kier and Mike have already decided on the optimum solution though ;)

How about keeping it the way it is, but simply adding the speech bubble below the blue dot if you have posted in a thread? I think this keeps the important icons to the left (along with the important information: avatar, title, unread, etc.) and the less-important information to the right (closed, sticky, reply count, etc.)
mockup2-png.468

Attachments

• mockup2.webp
    mockup2.webp
    48.8 KB · Views: 65
Kier has already said he doesn't like the separation between the avatar and thread title.

In which case new posts and your posts could be stacked in 1 column and stickies and locked could be in the next column.

In most cases all you will see will be the 2 icons for new posts and your posts.

I'm sure Kier and Mike have already decided on the optimum solution though ;)

Exactly, I just put the sticky and lock there for perspective.

How about keeping it the way it is, but simply adding the speech bubble below the blue dot if you have posted in a thread? I think this keeps the important icons to the left (along with the important information: avatar, title, unread, etc.) and the less-important information to the right (closed, sticky, reply count, etc.)
mockup2-png.468

Emm, that looks like the thread starter has posted a new post in the thread, not you/me. :confused:

While its not the -best- implementation, it would group all the icons that I know are likely to be used (User has posted in thread, new reply in thread, sticky, locked) into a single area, and doesn't clutter the page much.

I like this idea. Indicate those 4 things in a way that at least looks ok, and of course all the moderation stuff I have not seen yet. I seriously do not think that a consensus of what looks 'good' will ever be reached.

(hopefully clicking on the "User has posted in" symbol taking people to the last post they made)

I can't believe there's 19 pages of discussion on this. Nick, I don't like your last mock-up simply because the icon implies something to do with the thread starter. It also looks a little cramped to me. :)

I can't believe there's 19 pages of discussion on this. Nick, I don't like your last mock-up simply because the icon implies something to do with the thread starter. It also looks a little cramped to me. :)

Eh, it doesn't matter anymore, since apparently the whole "dot" or icon to the left of the thread title is going to be scrapped.

My view...please don't go back to this "dot", "dot_hot", "dot_hot_new" thread markers nonsense. This site looks brilliantly clean and neat without all that stuff which is so confusing it's useless.

Many people seem to be doing little more than pushing Kier to make this a vBulletin clone. At the moment it has the familiarity of a forum whilst being fresh and different and light, let's not clutter it with all the old vBulletin cumbersome baggage.

And don't make it an option either...vBulletin is weighed down by interminable numbers of options. If people want stuff like dot icons and suchlike, an addon will surely come out.

Just my view, obviously.

Yeah, i can't even tell the difference between a hot thread and a "cold" one for that matter nor do i want to. We should really concern ourselves with what matters and the read/unread status of the thread is all the a regular user needs.

My view...please don't go back to this "dot", "dot_hot", "dot_hot_new" thread markers nonsense. This site looks brilliantly clean and neat without all that stuff which is so confusing it's useless.

Many people seem to be doing little more than pushing Kier to make this a vBulletin clone. At the moment it has the familiarity of a forum whilst being fresh and different and light, let's not clutter it with all the old vBulletin cumbersome baggage.

And don't make it an option either...vBulletin is weighed down by interminable numbers of options. If people want stuff like dot icons and suchlike, an addon will surely come out.

Just my view, obviously.

Honestly, I don't see how we're egging Kier on to make this a clone of vBulletin. We have clearly stated further back in this thread (or it may have been another one) that we certainly don't want 20 different icon combinations with an ugly legend at the bottom.

All we want is: 1) An icon that signifies a thread has new posts (currently we have the dot, but its placement isn't liked by all), and 2) an icon that signifies we have posted in a thread. That's it. None of the "hot thread" nonsense.
These are relatively simple, and as you can see by the history of this thread, we're trying to find something that fits XenForo's simple and elegant style.

To be fair, a lot of people don't want those icons but they are apparently required for screen readers.
I say apparently as I raised the point earlier as to whether invisible background images with alt-text could be utilised.

Personally speaking I would be happy with bold titles for unread.
I don't need an icon telling me which threads I've posted in.
I already know which ones I've posted in and if I don't, it makes not a jot of difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom