Implemented  Drop the "star" image for threads with new posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma

I feel the difference between bold thread titles and non-bold thread titles is enough to distinguish between threads that have new/unread posts in them. I would stop using the "star" image (
list-item-new.png
) for this purpose, and consider using it for a new purpose-- to designate "hot" threads (threads with lots of recent activity), like vB3 did with the normally blue thread icon to an orangish color. (
hot-thread-png.239
)

Attachments

• hot-thread.webp
    hot-thread.webp
    1.2 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Okay, how about...

I do actually like this design, been a fan of it from the beginning, but I think the idea of them all being floated to the right is better as that way if more icon's get added then there is once central location for them all.. or your going to have a blip on every corner of every avatar.

I feel floated to the right is the best solution. anything to the left clutters so floated to the right is what I feel the most appropriate. You'll never find a solution everyone agrees with so I feel this thread is put to bed and the solution implemented. IMO.

@Kier - just increase the left padding on .discussionListItem .titleText to 20px within the current implementation to give the title more space from the "pip" and it looks fine

lets move on.

lots to do

Hi-Ho-hi-ho

That looks fine, doable, and something we can customize if we disagree with it. Thank you for listening to the potential customers.

Okay, how about...

screen-shot-2010-08-04-at-10-55-53-png.385

Certainly not a fan of this TBH. The icon should always be 'on its own' and not attached to any other element. So, no I would definately not go for this. The other design are much better and I have no problem at all with the dot being in front of the threadtitle. If you make the dot just a bit smaller, then I don't even have the feeling it divides the avatar from the threadtitle.

I'm just going to throw this out there so feel free to shoot it down...:D

In the right hand column which has Replies & Views, you could have a row between Replies and Views called New with the number of new posts...

new-png.389

Attachments

• new.webp
    new.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 81
The right-side icons work just fine and match up with the other thread-status icons that usually appear there anyway.

I'm happy with that. :)

@Kier - just increase the left padding on .discussionListItem .titleText to 20px within the current implementation to give the title more space from the "pip" and it looks fine
Like this?

screen-shot-2010-08-04-at-11-55-29-png.390

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-08-04 at 11.55.29.webp
    Screen shot 2010-08-04 at 11.55.29.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 177
Yeah - perfect - this provides the appropriate spacing around the "pip" so that it doesn't look cluttered/bunched up
That wastes too much horizontal space in my opinion, especially on the fixed width style.

With no new posts there is a huge gap between the avatar and thread title making it look disassociated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom