Donations for Shawns coffee pot...

I really wish adsense didn't generate an insecure content warning in the user's browser when loading into a https delivered site. I'd love to switch my sites over to SSL only.

DP pre-caches everything first on their servers to get around that :)

I really wish adsense didn't generate an insecure content warning in the user's browser when loading into a https delivered site. I'd love to switch my sites over to SSL only.

It doesn't if you set it up right. :) Just request the JS file via HTTPS. Like I do it based on whatever protocol the site is at:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript"><!--
  google_ad_client = "pub-5676236325709660";
  google_ad_slot = "2715707860";
  google_ad_width = 468;
  google_ad_height = 60;
  //-->
  </script><script type="text/javascript" src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></script>

DP pre-caches everything first on their servers to get around that :)
Nah... we are just caching a few things like images on www.digitalpoint.com and thumbnails on https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com/sites

Also, for those wanting to get a SSL certificate, StartSSL is pretty reasonable...

$59.90 to get class 2 identity verified, and $59.90 to get a class 2 organization verified... at which point they will issue you a sub-domain wildcard+multi-domain certificate good for 2 years.

https://www.startssl.com/?app=40

For example, our single SSL cert works for *digitalpoint.com, *dpstatic.com and *digitalpointads.com (but you can have even more domains than that too).

To give an example, normally just a sub-domain wildcard certificate for a SINGLE domain runs over $1,000 for 2 years...

http://www.thawte.com/ssl/index.html

Also, for those wanting to get a SSL certificate, StartSSL is pretty reasonable...

I remember someone trying to sell more expensive certificates by claiming that they were faster - something about cheaper certificates needing to be verified at more levels higher up the certificate chain and thus slowing down requests. Can't remember the source now. I seem to remember that certificate revocation lists (CRLs) had something to do with it.

Have you ever come across any claims like that (verification speed of some certficates vs others) ?

Does Litespeed support SPDY? I can't seem to find an answer.

Unsure why anyone in their right mind would pay for LiteSpeed. It hasn't been updated in over two years according to their homepage, and nginx is about as fast as a web server needs to be. The web server is almost never the bottleneck.

Unsure why anyone in their right mind would pay for LiteSpeed. It hasn't been updated in over two years according to their homepage, and nginx is about as fast as a web server needs to be. The web server is almost never the bottleneck.

LOL what? 2 years? http://www.litespeedtech.com/litespeed-web-server-release-log.html There was a major release of 4.1.x to 4.2 only a few months ago. Litespeed still out performs Nginx hands down in any benchmark I tried. Emulation of 600 concurrent connections to xF, Litespeed performance was around 23% in speed, 17% in CPU.

And now the last process just finished up... DB servers went from cumulatively doing ~8k queries per second to ~700. :)

Image%202013.01.21%2011:16:25%20PM.png

Now I can really start working on speed tweaks now that I'm not trying to measure it while one-time resourcive events are going on.

Seriously great job DigitalPoint!
Not yet, but thanks. :) Still fixing bugs as users report them, and changing over a lot of backend processes.

Just updated the system that runs daily that demotes users to needing email confirmation if their email bounced that day.

Then I updated the charting system for users/guests online for XenForo so now it's charting again. Same with the HTTP requests being processed (as part of the switch we also went from Apache to Nginx, so I had to rewrite that stuff for Nginx).

Image%202013.01.22%201:36:33%20AM.png

And still putting out tons of fires as I find them... :) Been a crazy few days. lol

Good for you, Shawn! Great to see your success using XF as the backbone of your site. (Even if highly modified, it shows what can be done with XF).

I am a little bit (okay, a lot) jealous, to see your ninjintsu in action and wish I could do a portion of what you have done. That said, always appreciative of what you share, both in explaining what you have done and in sharing add-0ns you have coded.

Good for you, Shawn! Great to see your success using XF as the backbone of your site. (Even if highly modified, it shows what can be done with XF).

I am a little bit (okay, a lot) jealous, to see your ninjintsu in action and wish I could do a portion of what you have done. That said, always appreciative of what you share, both in explaining what you have done and in sharing add-0ns you have coded.
Once things settle down, I plan on releasing some more stuff (certainly not everything... need *some* stuff to stay unique)...

Yeah, to be honest... I'm at a loss for that one. I think it might be an issue with how XF re-routes controller actions when the rerouted controller is extended with an addon.

It's this:
Code:
XenForo_Exception: Cannot load class using XFCP. Load the class using the correct loader first. - library/XenForo/Autoloader.php:108

#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Autoloader->autoload('XFCP_DigitalPoi...')
#1 /home/sites/digitalpoint.com/web/library/DigitalPointLittleThings/ControllerPublic/Member.php(4): spl_autoload_call('XFCP_DigitalPoi...')
#2 /home/sites/digitalpoint.com/web/library/XenForo/Autoloader.php(119): include('/home/sites/dig...')
#3 /home/sites/digitalpoint.com/web/library/XenForo/Application.php(860): XenForo_Autoloader->autoload('DigitalPointLit...')
#4 /home/sites/digitalpoint.com/web/library/XenForo/Application.php(353): XenForo_Application::autoload('DigitalPointLit...')
#5 /home/sites/digitalpoint.com/web/library/XenForo/Model/Session.php(303): XenForo_Application::resolveDynamicClass('DigitalPointLit...', 'controller')
#6 /home/sites/digitalpoint.com/web/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Online.php(50): XenForo_Model_Session->addSessionActivityDetailsToList(Array)
#7 /home/sites/digitalpoint.com/web/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(313): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Online->actionIndex()
#8 /home/sites/digitalpoint.com/web/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(132): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#9 /home/sites/digitalpoint.com/web/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#10 {main}

And I most definitely am only initiating XFCP classes the proper way... it happens when someone on page is on the member list so the XenForo_ControllerPublic_Member class is initialized to resolve their location.

I think there is just a problem with the extension of a controller and then maybe it gets extended again on the reroute or something...

You aren't rerouting to an extended class are you (class name extends XFCP_name)? That would not be good me thinks.

But ignoring that... I am looking at this:

XenForo_Model_Session::addSessionActivityDetailsToList

Code:
			$controller = XenForo_Application::resolveDynamicClass($controller, 'controller');
			try
			{
				$canLoad = ($controller && XenForo_Application::autoload($controller));
			}
			catch (XenForo_Exception $e) {} // likely an XFCP autoload error - skip this

You can see from the comments that the intention is to skip autoload errors in this instance, but the resolver which is called outside of the try block initiates the autoload as well. Maybe try moving that first line to inside of the try block.

Once things settle down, I plan on releasing some more stuff (certainly not everything... need *some* stuff to stay unique)...

I know that some of your end results are dependent on your coding and server environment (and probably a thousand things that are above me skill level in understanding). That said, I appreciate your willingness to share...the thing that most immediately caught my eye was your frontpage "content aggregator." I really like what you did there and if it is easily done without coding modification or dependent on server requirements, a release of however you did that via an add-on would be very sweet.

I know you have to attend to your site first, maybe get a minute or two of sleep, and enjoy the coffee pot that should be coming your way...but if you can, a release of your content aggretator code would definitely make many folks (at least me) very happy.

Top Bottom