Database read marking limit

Nick

In vBulletin, there is a setting that allows you to set how much time goes by before an unread/unvisited thread is automatically marked as "read".

I'm noticing the same thing here, but the time limit seems very short. I just opened a thread (for the first time) that was originally started on Sunday. I was automatically taken to the first unread post (posted today), which happened to be the 11th post in the thread. So it essentially thought I had read the first 10 posts from Sunday, when in fact, I hadn't.

So is there a time limit and if so, how long is it? Can it be increased to at least 7 days or something so that I'm not being taken to the middle of threads I haven't even started reading?

That wouldn't make sense, because if it wasn't automatically marked as read, the first unread post I should have been taken to should have been the first post in the thread.

So there is no thread-specific read logging? That would be great... i know it may takes a few hours to code...
Or am i wrong another time?
There is thread specific code, but all threads with no replies posted more recently than ten days ago will be automatically shown as read.

When you have young children, 8am is almost lunch time.

The time zone differences make visiting the site so odd. I'll see Kier go to bed, and then wake up 5 hours later (during which the forums are pretty much dead), and then I'll go to bed. Then when I wake up it's like the site exploded and there's pages and pages of threads that I have to catch up on. :P

The time zone differences make visiting the site so odd. I'll see Kier go to bed, and then wake up 5 hours later (during which the forums are pretty much dead), and then I'll go to bed. Then when I wake up it's like the site exploded and there's pages and pages of threads that I have to catch up on. :p

I've tried to not sleep or be away too long as then it takes me a good two hours or so to read through them all.

Top Bottom