XF 2.2 Are "Jump to New" and "Read marking data lifetime" related?

Banana99

Occasionally when I click on a thread title from a list of threads I am taken to the top of the thread rather than the first unread post in that thread. If I then click "Jump to New" I am taken to what appears to be the first unread post. Why is this?

My initial suspicion was because the first unread post exceeded the number of days in the "Read marking data lifetime" value. However the fact that post in the threads are still marked as "NEW" and my first unread post can still be located has filled me with doubt.

Finally, if "Jump to New" can take me to my first unread post, then why doesn't clicking on the thread's title from a list take me to the same place?

Thanks

You're basically correct. I can't remember what happens after 28 days, I think jump to new goes to the first post that was made within the last 28 days.

28 days is the default for read marking data lifetime I believe.

You're basically correct. I can't remember what happens after 28 days, I think jump to new goes to the first post that was made within the last 28 days.

28 days is the default for read marking data lifetime I believe.
Thanks, that's interesting. Would be good to have it confirmed.

And also why it doesn't do this "best guess" when the thread is navigated too.

And also why it doesn't do this "best guess" when the thread is navigated too.
Because after the read data is deleted it doesn't know whether you've read the thread or not so it can't assume you have as all old threads will jump to new when you've never read them.

Safer to go from the start then activate this function when you explicitly jump to new.

Because after the read data is deleted it doesn't know whether you've read the thread or not so it can't assume you have as all old threads will jump to new when you've never read them.

Safer to go from the start then activate this function when you explicitly jump to new.
The individual posts after I click "Jump to new" are marked as "NEW". So am I not following the logic here. If "Jump to New" takes me to "new" posts, then why wouldn't I be taken there when I navigate to the thread?

It's a performance related thing.

Yeah I mean I asked this question before. And it's suggested to increase the time period in case this was a bother on your own board. Six months should be fine even. But Kier did mention that not having a deadline or a very long deadline might cause performance issues. I'm guessing it might slowdown loading of new content sections for logged in members.

Yeah I mean I asked this question before. And it's suggested to increase the time period in case this was a bother on your own board. Six months should be fine even. But Kier did mention that not having a deadline or a very long deadline might cause performance issues. I'm guessing it might slowdown loading of new content sections for logged in members.
I guess my point is, why does it take you the top of the thread rather than the new posts that it knows exist?

so developers might be able to explain the reason. from my understanding... threads you haven't opened before get a regular link like this:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/are-jump-to-new-and-read-marking-data-lifetime-related.217988/

but threads you have opened before get unread links in various sections like this:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/are-jump-to-new-and-read-marking-data-lifetime-related.217988/unread

the idea in my understanding seems to be this... if the thread is really old, beyond the time period specified in forum admin, xenforo assumes that user would want to load the thread as new so it does not use the unread link in node and other views. so it loads on the first page. but jump to new would still let you visit where you last left off.

Top Bottom