XF 1.0 Cleaning-Up Spam

The proliferation of human-backed CAPTCHA breakers and all manner of other means to break through anti-robot protection on forums means that spam prevention systems must now be joined with spam clean-up utilities.

With this in mind, XenForo introduces the Spam Cleaner - a one-stop shop for quickly and easily dealing with spam that has made it onto your forum.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I suggest you view this video at full-size by clicking the full-screen gadget in the bottom-right of the video.

Anyone else seeing:
Timeout​
The server did not respond in time. Please try again.​

When doing the IP check? No IP check, no timeout.

Anyone else seeing:
Timeout​

Probably best to have a separate thread so it gets better exposure, but if it were me I'd re-test after B3 came out. No I am not sure when that is exactly, but it could be next week.

Anyone else seeing:
Timeout​

I never experienced this, but I was only doing it to my own IP address and not a proxy type (banning test accounts on Beta 2). It might just be a server fluke.

I was just informed that if you have adblock installed, the captcha thing on signup never loads. I just confirmed. (I don't know if a message should be displayed above the text saying you need to disable google adblock to sign up or?)

"ReCAPTCHA verification is loading. Please refresh the page if it does not load"

I was just informed that if you have adblock installed, the captcha thing on signup never loads. I just confirmed. (I don't know if a message should be displayed above the text saying you need to disable google adblock to sign up or?)

"ReCAPTCHA verification is loading. Please refresh the page if it does not load"
It's rather ironic that the Google adblocker would block Google's own ReCAPTCHA system.

It's rather ironic that the Google adblocker would block Google's own ReCAPTCHA system.
google adblocker is created to block ads and whanot on google's servers by 3rd party programs..

(unless you're trying to be sarcastic towards me)

the program is working as designed for those who don't want to see google's stuff.

I can't use it either even with Check IPs unchecked. This is kinda problematic honestly as my mods can't do anything about spam.

Update on this - interestingly, with Check IPs unchecked, it DOES actually work and clean up the posts/ban the user, but the postback to the client never seems to happen and they get the timed out message. 1.0RC1 here.

Wow, what an awesome feature. This definitely reassures me that you didn't copy anything off of vBulletin, they couldn't come up with anything this clever and then implement it too! :P

for certain spammers, I just see the "Registration IP" within the Spam-cleaner.
I do not see the "Confirmation IP" and also not the "Content IP".

Is there a specific reason for that?

for certain spammers, I just see the "Registration IP" within the Spam-cleaner.
I do not see the "Confirmation IP" and also not the "Content IP".

Is there a specific reason for that?

Have they confirmed their address, and posted?
I've seen this too, but only with unconfirmed accounts.

when using the spam-cleaner, do I need to make some other actions within ACP ?

Like for example hide the spammers Profile-page to public-view ?
And do I need to set the spammers profile-privacy to "people spammer follows" ?
There is also the Privacy-setting named "Initiate conversations with this user:" : are other members able to contact a banned spammer via Private Conversation?

Am just discovering several spam-accounts and wondering whether the Spam-cleaner is sufficient or whether I need to do other steps, like e.g. hiding the spammers Profile-page (so it is only visible to people who the spammer is "following".

What is the best approach here? Should I make a profile-post into the spammers Profile-page, so that other members are aware that this user is a spammer ?

Appreciate your help and advise!

Top Bottom