XF 1.0 Cleaning-Up Spam

The proliferation of human-backed CAPTCHA breakers and all manner of other means to break through anti-robot protection on forums means that spam prevention systems must now be joined with spam clean-up utilities.

With this in mind, XenForo introduces the Spam Cleaner - a one-stop shop for quickly and easily dealing with spam that has made it onto your forum.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I suggest you view this video at full-size by clicking the full-screen gadget in the bottom-right of the video.

I create a couple Q&A and it seems to do the job fine. Just gotta be the janitor sometimes and clean some spam up, but not much.

The VB plugin for StopForumSpam is the only thing that has (almost) completely stopped spam on our forums. The only ones it doesn't catch are the new spammers, for obvious reasons. We have had no complaints from people who cannot register and our mods love the fact that they're not chasing fools around the boards all day - they can actually get on with the stuff they enjoy, interacting with genuine members.

The VB plugin for StopForumSpam is the only thing that has (almost) completely stopped spam on our forums. The only ones it doesn't catch are the new spammers, for obvious reasons. We have had no complaints from people who cannot register and our mods love the fact that they're not chasing fools around the boards all day - they can actually get on with the stuff they enjoy, interacting with genuine members.

I used a similar idea on all of the vB sites I admin since it was becoming way too time consuming to chase them all down, except I do not use the mod that was offered. I rewrote my register.php files to check the SFS database directly by ip address and email address before allowing them to register. I have yet to have any problems with that myself.

I used a similar idea on all of the vB sites I admin since it was becoming way too time consuming to chase them all down, except I do not use the mod that was offered. I rewrote my register.php files to check the SFS database directly by ip address and email address before allowing them to register. I have yet to have any problems with that myself.
Sounds good. Care to do something similar for XF once you get your hands on the code?

Sounds good. Care to do something similar for XF once you get your hands on the code?

I will definately be looking in to it as soon as possible, I am not so sure what the modification requirements will be here, but if they have the no third party thing, instead of releasing it to everyone I could share the code with those who want it. :-)

Hmm,

When the spam cleaner checks the IP's why do I have to click to their profile page, click to see their posts, click to goto one of their posts, then click to clean them as spam? Why on the IP checking page, there isn't links on the right side to clean them as spam straight away rather than clicking 3-4 more times?

Now that I'm using this, I notice that the little grey pop-up that says 'select this post by $user' has a timing issue.
If you click in the box before the animation is complete the click does not register. Pedantic I know!

Now that I'm using this, I notice that the little grey pop-up that says 'select this post by $user' has a timing issue.
If you click in the box before the animation is complete the click does not register. Pedantic I know!
Post it in the bug report area.

Will the Spam Tool eventually move posts too?

Also, something that I've noticed, if you have the Spam Tool set to just move messages, it won't touch things left on a person's user page. Would that be a bug or intended since it can't really be moved.

The easiest way for me to clean up spam, is see what people write on custom registration fields on my current forum. When user uggworld.com registers with asdf in all the fields, that is my second clue it is a spammer :D I hope xF allows this in future releases!

Top Bottom