California Case Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
My concern. When the court rules in favor of KAM, what chance is there that they simply breath a sigh of relief, and close things up to move onto other projects/jobs?

My concern. When the court rules in favor of KAM, what chance is there that they simply breath a sigh of relief, and close things up to move onto other projects/jobs?
Not likely, starting new ventures is not as easy as pie, they have something very solid here, and if it's not driven into the ground by IB, this has the highest chance of being their income and job for a very very long time if not until they retire, short of someone offering them oodles of money or winning the lottery.

Kier and his team have spent too much time working on this project to simply walk away at this point in my honest opinion. Anything is possible. However what his next move will be is speculation until this whole court case is settled.

It's unlikely they will ramp things up immediately. However money that was tied up in paying for litigation will now be freed up allowing Kier to take a salary. Furthermore, it would not surprise me additional money would come out of the wood works for damages, defamation of character, etc.

I know no one wants to talk about it. I personally wish it wasn't an issue. But there is a the elephant in the room which we're all forgetting. The UK Court Case would still be pending after the end of this court case.

Granted... I can safely bet that The UK Courts do not take lightly to the games that IB has played and it will all go down a lot quicker than the current court issues in America.

You have to love and respect that The UK is quick about such matters. And that part of it will be done and over with faster than it took to resolve The USA matter.

I have complete faith it will all be over soon. But the elephant is still in the room until that's done and over with.

I know no one wants to talk about it. I personally wish it wasn't an issue. But there is a the elephant in the room which we're all forgetting. The UK Court Case would still be pending after the end of this court case.

Granted... I can safely bet that The UK Courts do not take lightly to the games that IB has played and it will all go down a lot quicker than the current court issues in America.

You have to love and respect that The UK is quick about such matters. And that part of it will be done and over with faster than it took to resolve The USA matter.

I have complete faith it will all be over soon. But the elephant is still in the room until that's done and over with.
However, in the case that IB gets crushed by any sort of decision from the judge, would they really be stupid enough to go through with the UK one? Would they really think they can accomplish anything there, at that point, if they all ready lost with "home advantage"?

I don't know, I just wonder if they'd really do that at that point, as it would be more or less financial and social suicide.

However, in the case that IB gets crushed by any sort of decision from the judge, would they really be stupid enough to go through with the UK one? Would they really think they can accomplish anything there, at that point, if they all ready lost with "home advantage"?

I don't know, I just wonder if they'd really do that at that point, as it would be more or less financial and social suicide.
Would Internet Brands be stupid enough? .... Yes

Would they get anywhere with it? ..... No way in hell.

But I think we can all agree that Internet Brands (IB) didn't have a case to begin with. They knew from the start they were in the wrong. And I think it is safe for all to assume this case wasn't really about what IB claimed it was about, but rather it trying was to hurt a company (XenForo) which has a cutting edge over vBulletin's poorly written and supported software.

That was what this case was really about (in my opinion). And sadly, yes, I think IB will try to push it as far as they can go.

They do it all the time. Samsung vs. Apple fighting each other in every continent same allegations, just trying to hurt eachother. I hope that when IB gets slapped in the face they reconsider moving on.

The UK courts have already stipulated VB need to deposit an obscene amount of money into court escrow before they will even entertain the case.
This^

Also, even though UK does not obey US court, if they see that IB is flopping over here, they will atleast look it over and most likely toss it out faster then you can say Internet Brands, unlike here in the US, I would not be surprised if it took less then a month to drop it.

The UK courts have already stipulated VB need to deposit an obscene amount of money into court escrow before they will even entertain the case.
For a multi-million dollar company (Internet Brands), which is backed up by a multi-billion dollar company (Hellman & Friedman). I don't think they're short on cash :(

For a multi-million dollar company (Internet Brands), which is backed up by a multi-billion dollar company (Hellman & Friedman). I don't think they're short on cash :(
Internet Brands own like 200+ divisions(Correct me if I'm wrong), stockholders and the sort would never allow something like that to continue at that point over vBulletin, they would write it off as a loss and move on. Hellman and Friedman would not even bother with a cent, because IB is supposed to be able to take care of things like that.

Edit: Atleast that is how companies work around in America, not sure about other parts of the world.

Internet Brands own like 200+ divisions(Correct me if I'm wrong), stockholders and the sort would never allow something like that to continue at that point over vBulletin, they would write it off as a loss and move on. Hellman and Friedman would not even bother with a cent, because IB is supposed to be able to take care of things like that.

Edit: Atleast that is how companies work around in America, not sure about other parts of the world.
I always play all the odds.... Like yourself and everyone else here.... I do not think it would really go further. But I've also learned to always expect the unexpected.

Let's just all hope we're right that this is where it ends and that IB doesn't try to play the sore loser.

Why do you think IB didn't push the UK case at the same time?

They know its a lost cause, so why would they want to commit to a £100,000 deposit they know they will lose the majority of.

*Edit* oh and that £100,000 is just for starters. They would be required to deposit more as the case went on, and that doesn't cover their court or lawyer fees either. The deposits were stipulated by the court for XenForo's safety incase Jelsoft tried to renege on paying XenForo once they won.

Why do you think IB didn't push the UK case at the same time?

They know its a lost cause, so why would they want to commit to a £100,000 deposit they know they will lose the majority of.
Same reason why they kept drawing out this case as long as they can. It's all been their strategy to try to bankrupt and hurt XenForo's business (in my opinion). From the start they've never had a case... It's not about winning, it's about making the war (case) outlast the little guy.

Same reason why they kept drawing out this case as long as they can. It's all been their strategy to try to bankrupt and hurt XenForo's business (in my opinion). From the start they've never had a case... It's not about winning, it's about making the war (case) outlast the little guy.

Which wouldn't fly in the UK court system and it would be decided in XF's favor very quickly... so they would effectively be paying XF to beat them in the US court also!

Catch 22 for VB :)

This is why the UK court system is superior!

It's awesome and fortunate that Kier, Mike, Ashley have great representation who saw this early on and planned for it. After reading the motion and arguments released today, it sounds like Pam let Internet Brands believe they were in control when in reality, she was in complete control and was preparing to fight them on those terms :D

It's awesome and fortunate that Kier, Mike, Ashley have great representation who saw this early on and planned for it. After reading the motion and arguments released today, it sounds like Pam let Internet Brands believe they were in control when in reality, she was in complete control and was preparing to fight them on those terms :D

The real question is if Xenforo is still accepting gifts to their address, the team deserves a drink :D!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom