Calendar?

DoctorWatsOn

Is it me being stupid and missing something, or is there no calendar?
hmm.gif

Our business site relies heavily on the calendar. We have recurring daily specials that don't change from week to week (recurring events showing a start and end date are pointless and confusing to our customers and get edited out of the templates...hindering it's importance in other events). Specials that do change (showing a start and end date and time are useful here. so when they are edited out of the templates, we lose this function on these events...ugh.). Scheduled listings that needs to be posted every day (These don't need a mention of "all day event" or start and end. It's just the schedule listing for the day.). And I can foresee many other things the calendar could be used for if it worked differently.

The way VB and IPB is setup is not the best for us. We have issues with both. They are both too restricting and not enough options.

The way VB and IPB is setup is not the best for us. We have issues with both. They are both too restricting and not enough options.

What is almost mindblowing for me is that vBulletin never ever implemented any improvements/additional functionality into their Calendar system... we have been requesting this over and over and over for I don't know how many years. They introduced Social Networking functionality a few years back, but totally left the Calendar alone. If you introduce social network stuff, then it is remains a mystery to me why you do not integrate this social aspect more into the already available Calendar module. Subscribing to events and make it visible who of the social network members attends... anyone? Finally dish the most useless of the most useless of overviews ever... yes: cluttering the Calendar with every single birthday of every single member out there! So many boards have this. Why?! :

For the future Calendar: Buddy Birthdays
(originally posted as a suggestion for vBulletin)

By default on every single day you see Birthdays presented from your boardmembers. I mean... come on, who wants to know?!
tongue.png
In my opinion such an overview of birthdays is pretty useless. As a regular boardmember I don't care if Miss. Marple has her birthday on July 29th if I check the Calendar on July 2th. At the most I am only interested in the birthdays of the people I have a bond with really. It is just like in real life...when you are sitting in the loo, staring at your birthday calendar in front of you, there are only entries on it from your family and dearest friends.

Sitting in the loo, staring at my laptop, and visiting my vBboard Calendar there are all these birthdays from every single boardmember all over the place!

And the list goes on and on. Invision just recently announced they get the importance of the Calendar on a social network and apparently they are going to improve it. vBulletin will take... another 5 year?! I am in the process of building a new platform where people/companies can mention the trainings they offer. A sophisticated Calendar is the thing we need to put these trainings schedules on and then the board members can let everybody know they are attending. This by itself generates further interest in the trainings (people seeing who is coming) and also is beneficial for the whole social networking on the platform.

Why-o-why does not any standalone forum product get this? (Yes, I do sound a (tiny) bit frustrated :rolleyes:)

What is almost mindblowing for me is that vBulletin never ever implemented any improvements/additional functionality into their Calendar system... we have been requesting this over and over and over for I don't know how many years. They introduced Social Networking functionality a few years back, but totally left the Calendar alone. If you introduce social network stuff, then it is remains a mystery to me why you do not integrate this social aspect more into the already available Calendar module. Subscribing to events and make it visible who of the social network members attends... anyone? Finally dish the most useless of the most useless of overviews ever... yes: cluttering the Calendar with every single birthday of every single member out there! So many boards have this. Why?! :

And the list goes on and on. Invision just recently announced they get the importance of the Calendar on a social network and apparently they are going to improve it. vBulletin will take... another 5 year?! I am in the process of building a new platform where people/companies can mention the trainings they offer. A sophisticated Calendar is the thing we need to put these trainings schedules on and then the board members can let everybody know they are attending. This by itself generates further interest in the trainings (people seeing who is coming) and also is beneficial for the whole social networking on the platform.

Why-o-why does not any standalone forum product get this? (Yes, I do sound a (tiny) bit frustrated :rolleyes:)

Grover!!! Here we are again...talking calendars...how long has it been now? LOL

I was always surprised that vBulletin didn't get the importance of the calendars. Now that the good coders are on their own I'm hoping they'll be able to deliver this much needed, (to me), feature. I would push $$$ towards xenforo in a heartbeat for this need.

Good to see you again, bro!

All I want to see is an implementation of Google Calendar. :)
That along with the Google Mail... it would be brilliant. Imagine you could offer to members with over 250posts a personalized access to XenForo mail and calendar. Efficient and also no load attached to your servers.

All I want to see is an implementation of Google Calendar. :)
That along with the Google Mail... it would be brilliant. Imagine you could offer to members with over 250posts a personalized access to XenForo mail and calendar. Efficient and also no load attached to your servers.
Yeah...

That wouldn't work for everyone. 

Calendars: when I went looking for forum software over 5 years ago, I wanted a calendar on mine, be it a free software or paid. I started with phpbb and quickly left it because it lacked a calendar, moved to vb even tho my forum was very tiny and stayed small all thru it's life. When I split them and moved the scrapping side to vb, I moved the personal one to smf because it also had a calendar. Yes, a calendar is very important to me and my crew. We plan things thru it. 

Blogs on the other hand have no use for me, we all use blogger or wordpress for our own exposure. Designers are a squirrley bunch, we prefer going our own way when it comes to showing off our own designs. :) And I have quite a few under my roof.

Gallery's; Extremely important, even as a bridge. It's our lifeblood.

Liz 

The only real use my calendar gets each month is keeping track of user birthdays. I polled my users about a year ago and found that just about none of them ever took a look at the calendar. As a matter of fact, a lot of them never even knew there was a calendar in the forum :D.

The only real use my calendar gets each month is keeping track of user birthdays. I polled my users about a year ago and found that just about none of them ever took a look at the calendar. As a matter of fact, a lot of them never even knew there was a calendar in the forum :D.
Not all communities require a calendar, though it is useful for -all- communities in some form or another, it is just rarely utilized.

Calendars: when I went looking for forum software over 5 years ago, I wanted a calendar on mine, be it a free software or paid. I started with phpbb and quickly left it because it lacked a calendar, moved to vb even tho my forum was very tiny and stayed small all thru it's life. When I split them and moved the scrapping side to vb, I moved the personal one to smf because it also had a calendar. Yes, a calendar is very important to me and my crew. We plan things thru it.
Same here. When I had my design site, I used it extensively. And IF I should get back into designing for XenForo, I will need one again.
So it is my heartfelt prayer that Kier and Mike will code a calendar for XenForo.

there just needs to be a good event-management-system, which let´s you invite people to a certain event and they can confirm whether they will participate at the event, etc.

We want to do a calendar, but we want to do it well.

Version 1 will not have a calendar, but we have some great ideas that we want to implement in a future version.

Amazing :cool:, I just read this confirmation for the first time. It seems that everything somehow comes together for me: just a few months after XenForo is announced and playing with/testing it a new potential client pops up. Obviously I recommended XenForo, since (next to many other reasons) the product is perfect for forum-newbies (outstanding UI/UX). However, this client is in need of much sophisticated functionality such as a tightly integrated Calendar to promote their trainings.

Key in all this is:
  • The possibility for members to show that they are attending these events,
  • The possibility for the admin to set who (which usergroups) can add events to the Calendar, so that only people who have a paid subscription can add their trainings to the Calendar (so that the admin doesn't have to do it all manually for them),
  • To have a convenient year-overview (being it on screen or on print (preview).

I love how this add-on looks: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/8wayrun-com-xenatendo-events.8670/ , but can not wait for XenForo to have it as stock functionality.

We want to do a calendar, but we want to do it well.
Version 1 will not have a calendar, but we have some great ideas that we want to implement in a future version.
The vB calendar was terrible. The most useful view of a Calendar "Agenda View" wasn't even there.
For people who have said .. "We need X" before we move to Xenforo. I doubt anyone will quote "a calendar like vB".
Hopefully, either a calendar is easy and you don't spend much time on it or you work on higher priority items.
IMO.
Does xenforo.com itself need a calendar ? I think the answer is No.
Sir nick: I've never really used the calender so i don't really mind having one

I was going to wait for a calendar, but already bought xF for a new site. My current huge vB sites need to wait though so I can buy more xF's when the calendar and gallery is included. In the mean time, im lovin xF on my new site. So yes, once the calendar is launched (with attending/not attending stuff included) sales will go up. Anyone that doesnt need a calendar has already purchased xF.

Top Bottom