Calendar?

DoctorWatsOn

Is it me being stupid and missing something, or is there no calendar?
hmm.gif

There's a site I'm planning on building which would use an events calendar extensively - but the current format in vB/IPB wouldn't work - the events function in facebook would be fabulous though... so would be nice to see something like that available, but I wouldn't put it down as an item that must make it into the initial commercial release and hold up things :)

There's a site I'm planning on building which would use an events calendar extensively - but the current format in vB/IPB wouldn't work - the events function in facebook would be fabulous though... so would be nice to see something like that available, but I wouldn't put it down as an item that must make it into the initial commercial release and hold up things :)

Yes, rightly integrated a calendar would be very useful for most communities. There are lots of events that take through a year, where members have their own events, moderators give general events. But these events must be discussed, they must be displayed the right members and so on.

Calendar essential for me too.

As is live chat functionality so I hope that will be an add-on at some point.

Live chat is heavily used by members during race sessions so if/when I ditch phpBB I will have to have something in place already.

We want to do a calendar, but we want to do it well.

Version 1 will not have a calendar, but we have some great ideas that we want to implement in a future version.

nice to know this ... personally i think that a calendar without an automatic thread (for the events) isn't useful ... just an example ...

nice to know this ... personally i think that a calendar without an automatic thread (for the events) isn't useful ... just an example ...

In my mind, the calendar is going to need to be at least half as useful as the Google calendar and possibly have support for exporting to third party calendars for it to be at all useful.
I do not believe that a specific thread would be the right way. The calendar should have a discussion content type of its own and be stored there. The search system can point you to it, or the there could be notices if your subscribed, perhaps the calendar can show a new count for events since the last time you were logged in. Honestly the ideas are endless, I would not constrain myself to the requirement of a thread when they are going to build something from the ground up.

In my mind, the calendar is going to need to be at least half as useful as the Google calendar and possibly have support for exporting to third party calendars for it to be at all useful.
I do not believe that a specific thread would be the right way. The calendar should have a discussion content type of its own and be stored there. The search system can point you to it, or the there could be notices if your subscribed, perhaps the calendar can show a new count for events since the last time you were logged in. Honestly the ideas are endless, I would not constrain myself to the requirement of a thread when they are going to build something from the ground up.

you're right, mine was just an example ... ;)

Top Bottom