Better Blogs [Deleted]

The latest update shows everyone's blog even if they don't have any. That's not right because it is circumventing the member list (which we can hide) as it now shows all members of the site.
I noticed this as well in 1.0.21

The category listing in adminCP does not work well. When I try to delete a category, it does not get deleted. Sometimes I get an error. Sometimes nothing. If I just click the delete button for multiple categories then nothing happens until at some point it start acting really weird, some categories will disappear, the page will freeze and some more categories may or may not disappear.

Since I could not get rid of the multiple instances of all categories and blogs, I uninstalled the product. Then I tried to re-install but this is not possible because the uninstaller did not remove the blog tables. Thus the installer hangs on the fact that the tables already exist. I have executed a query to drop all tables with 'blog' in the name. Does Better Blogs create any tables without the blog prefix?
In any case, after dropping the blog tables the site showed the following error: 'Mysqli prepare error: Table 'myforum_test.xfa_blog' doesn't exist'
Until I removed the BB files from the server.
Is there anything I can do to resolve this or is the mess simply too big?

An error with 1.0.22 :

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli prepare error: Column 'user_id' in where clause is ambiguous - library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php:77

#0 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Statement.php(115): Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare('????SELECT?????...')
#1 /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php(381): Zend_Db_Statement->__construct(Object(Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli), '????SELECT?????...')
#2 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(478): Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare('????SELECT?????...')
#3 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/XenForo/Model.php(219): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('????SELECT?????...', Array, 2)
#4 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Model/Blog.php(269): XenForo_Model->fetchAllKeyed('????SELECT?????...', 'user_id')
#5 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Panel/Blogs.php(81): XfAddOns_Blogs_Model_Blog->getBlogList(Array)
#6 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Panel/Blogs.php(52): XfAddOns_Blogs_Panel_Blogs->getBlogs('create_date', 'DESC', 42, ' user_id >= 1')
#7 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(198): XfAddOns_Blogs_Panel_Blogs->execute(Array, Array, 9.99999904633, '')
#8 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(321): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 9.99999904633, '', false)
#9 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(274): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#10 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/deferred.php(18): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#11 {main}
array(3) {
["url"] => string(31) "http://www.xxxx.com/deferred.php"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(4) {
["_xfRequestUri"] => string(18) "/evenement/monthly"
["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
}
}

I'm going to do a short update tonight (PST) to fix the "All Blogs" showing empty blogs. This seems to be also affecting the sidebar (which technically makes viewing recently created blogs useless).

If people want to skip update-22 that is fine :) I'll try to wrap up the small fix EOD today

After upgrading to 1.0.22 and importing from vb3.8 I encounter the following issues:
  1. Imported blogs & categories are duplicated instead of overwritten. This did not happen on previous imports.
  2. Entries do not get attributed correctly to categories. For example: the first category should have 15 entries. But the category listing on blog index indicates that there are 2 and the category itself only shows 1 entry.
  3. There are no child - parent relations visible in the category listing on blog index.
  4. Entries with a lot of categories have styling issues due to the blue label/tag images interconnecting.
  5. Breadcrumb does not display the global category that you are in.

Looks like I still haven't gotten it right. I'll do another cycle on the global categories. Let me address your comments, and thanks for testing it for me !

1. That is by design, when you do an import, the new categories and entries are added. If you want a fresh import you need to either truncate the tables, or delete all the info. Fastest way of doing that is just uninstalling the blogs addon (it will delete everything), and then reinstalling it

2. I still don't know why that is happening. I am going to spice up my local test case to see if I can find any corner cases. I have been testing with less than 50 entries in global categories, I'm going to create for myself a more complicated use case and I'll report back. Hopefully in the next global categories update this will be fixed.

3. Do the hierarchy appear on the admincp, though? I'll take a look. I hope I fixed the import issues. If it's only the display that is easily fixable

4. Yeah, I have not yet fixed the display issue. You are the only one seriously using categories. Previously the limit was 5 and it looks fine. I'll take a look. Out of curiosity, what is you maximum categories per entry?

5. That is by design, the blog is not driven off the categories and they are not included in the breadcrumbs. I could add this as an optional on the next update.

You need to edit the template itself. One of
  • xfa_blog_wf_blogs
  • xfa_blog_wf_comments
  • xfa_blog_wf_entries
Code:
<xen:avatar user="$blogRow" size="s" img="true" />
Change the "s" part
That only gives us m and l sizes other than s. How do you make it go smaller than s?

The category listing in adminCP does not work well. When I try to delete a category, it does not get deleted. Sometimes I get an error. Sometimes nothing. If I just click the delete button for multiple categories then nothing happens until at some point it start acting really weird, some categories will disappear, the page will freeze and some more categories may or may not disappear.

Since I could not get rid of the multiple instances of all categories and blogs, I uninstalled the product. Then I tried to re-install but this is not possible because the uninstaller did not remove the blog tables. Thus the installer hangs on the fact that the tables already exist. I have executed a query to drop all tables with 'blog' in the name. Does Better Blogs create any tables without the blog prefix?
In any case, after dropping the blog tables the site showed the following error: 'Mysqli prepare error: Table 'myforum_test.xfa_blog' doesn't exist'
Until I removed the BB files from the server.
Is there anything I can do to resolve this or is the mess simply too big?
Sounds like the uninstaller timed out, and left everything in a corrupted scenario.

Here I have instructions that you can use to completely remove the blog add-on
http://xfaddons.com/index.php?threads/manually-deleting-better-blogs.146/

After that, you should be able to reinstall without issues

That only gives us m and l sizes other than s. How do you make it go smaller than s?
You would need to use CSS, in (i.e) xfa_blog_wf_blogs.css
Change

Code:
.widget.blogs .avatar
{
    float: left;
    margin-right: 5px;
}

And add a width to that, e.g.
Code:
.widget.blogs .avatar
{
    width: 40px;
}

Reactions: DRE
An error with 1.0.22 :

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli prepare error: Column 'user_id' in where clause is ambiguous - library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php:77

#0 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Statement.php(115): Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare('????SELECT?????...')
#1 /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php(381): Zend_Db_Statement->__construct(Object(Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli), '????SELECT?????...')
#2 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(478): Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare('????SELECT?????...')
#3 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/XenForo/Model.php(219): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('????SELECT?????...', Array, 2)
#4 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Model/Blog.php(269): XenForo_Model->fetchAllKeyed('????SELECT?????...', 'user_id')
#5 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Panel/Blogs.php(81): XfAddOns_Blogs_Model_Blog->getBlogList(Array)
#6 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Panel/Blogs.php(52): XfAddOns_Blogs_Panel_Blogs->getBlogs('create_date', 'DESC', 42, ' user_id >= 1')
#7 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(198): XfAddOns_Blogs_Panel_Blogs->execute(Array, Array, 9.99999904633, '')
#8 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(321): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 9.99999904633, '', false)
#9 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(274): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#10 /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/deferred.php(18): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#11 {main}
array(3) {
["url"] => string(31) "http://www.xxxx.com/deferred.php"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(4) {
["_xfRequestUri"] => string(18) "/evenement/monthly"
["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
}
}
Sorry about that. I'll fix that in tonight's update as well.
The blogs should be functional, thought, that is only the background task that refreshes a blog panel

Sounds like the uninstaller timed out, and left everything in a corrupted scenario.

Here I have instructions that you can use to completely remove the blog add-on
http://xfaddons.com/index.php?threads/manually-deleting-better-blogs.146/

After that, you should be able to reinstall without issues
Thanks. I will await the next version in the hope that the following issues will be addressed:
After upgrading to 1.0.22 and importing from vb3.8 I encounter the following issues:
  1. Imported blogs & categories are duplicated instead of overwritten. This did not happen on previous imports.
  2. Entries do not get attributed correctly to categories. For example: the first category should have 15 entries. But the category listing on blog index indicates that there are 2 and the category itself only shows 1 entry.
  3. There are no child - parent relations visible in the category listing on blog index.
  4. Entries with a lot of categories have styling issues due to the blue label/tag images interconnecting.
  5. Breadcrumb does not display the global category that you are in.

You would need to use CSS, in (i.e) xfa_blog_wf_blogs.css
Change

Code:
.widget.blogs .avatar
{
}

And add a width to that, e.g.
Code:
.widget.blogs .avatar
{
    width: 40px;
}
Thanks I think that worked!

Don't need to unistall 1.0.22 and install 1.0.23. No problems with database ?
Do not uninstall the add-on, because uninstall deletes everything, all blogs, entries, comments, etc.
Uninstall is a destructive operation that cannot be recovered

You should be able to just upgrade to the new version, and that's it. As I was mentioning, that error you saw is harmless :)

Rigel Kentaurus updated Better Blogs [1.2 compatible] with a new update entry:
1.0.23 Bug fixes for "All Blogs" page

If you like this add-on, please post a review. It takes 1 minute and I enjoy the feedback! :)

Existing Customers - Download here: http://xfaddons.com/index.php?forums/better-blogs.10/
New Customers: Click on "Buy Now" on top of this thread for instant delivery to your email

If you don't have access send me a conversation with your username at xfaddons.com and your paypal transaction id

========================

Changes

• Improved error logging with the panels
  • Hardened the panel refreshing logic, so it does auto-cleanup when the information gets corrupted
  • Added logic to expire the "Background Panel refresh" task when it times out
Bug fixes
  • The "All Blogs" page no longer shows blogs from banned people
  • The "All Blogs" page no longer shows blogs without entries
  • Fixed a bug with a SQL query that prevented the "Blogs" Panel from updating

Reactions: DRE
A server error occurs when we try to add a member that does not exist to "view this entry only" list in blog entry settings. I did it on accident btw, not trying to break your addon.

ErrorException: Fatal Error: Call to undefined function XenForo_Phrase() - library/XfAddOns/Blogs/DataWriter/Entry.php:654 Generated By: Dre Sage, A moment ago Stack Trace #0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handleFatalError() #1 {main} Request State array(3) { ["url"] => string(57) "http://blah-sage.8thos.com/xfa-blogs/dre-sage.1/save-entry" ["_GET"] => array(0) { } ["_POST"] => array(16) { ["title"] => string(3) "Rap" ["message_html"] => string(836) "<p>I grew up in the South Bronx, NY and was there for the birth of Hip Hop. </p><p><br></p><p>I'll finish this later.</p> " ["_xfRelativeResolver"] => string(56) "http://blah-sage.8thos.com/xfa-blogs/dre-sage.1/new-entry" ["attachment_hash"] => string(32) "cd2c8ed978cfdaf0ae7b9df3fe2af418" ["post_date"] => string(10) "2013-09-06" ["hour"] => string(1) "6" ["minute"] => string(2) "55" ["second"] => string(2) "14" ["allow_comments"] => string(1) "1" ["allow_view_entry_enable"] => string(1) "1" ["allow_view_entry"] => string(4) "list" ["allow_members"] => string(3) "DRE" ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********" ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(31) "/xfa-blogs/blah-sage.1/new-entry" ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1" ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json" } }

Last edited:
Top Bottom