Better Blogs [Deleted]

The only time a user knows that their blog's privacy is not "All Visitors" is if they actually edit the blog entry to see what it's set to. That becomes really time-consuming and inconvenient when you want to know what privacy setting all of your blog entries are set to. Could you add some kind of visual indicator that the user can see that tells them what privacy their blog is set to without having to actually edit the entry?

Last edited:
Also, can you consider adding an avatar and username for blog entries in the category list?

Can't tell who it was written by without clicking on it. For example:

Screen Shot 2013-09-07 at 11.39.33 PM.webp

I was editing a test blog entry by a test user's blog and set it to "People You Follow Only" Well... I forgot to follow myself and now I can no longer see the test user's blog. I can log into the other account and change the view permissions but still, shouldn't we be able to see all blogs if we have all the moderator permissions or does this require a new permission?
It's should follow the same "bypass privacy" permission that already exists and can be set for the administrator.
I'll have it fixed in a future version.

Reactions: DRE
Thanks. I'm not trying to nitpick at the addon or anything, I created several global categories tonight and am retro-actively applying those categories to member's blog entries. While I was doing that, that's when I discovered those issues.

Thanks. I'm not trying to nitpick at the addon or anything, I created several global categories tonight and am retro-actively applying those categories to member's blog entries. While I was doing that, that's when I discovered those issues.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll implement some of those in later releases.
Hope Global Categories are working fine. I don't use them myself at any of my forums so that limits my testing. Let me know if you find any details :)

Reactions: DRE
Global categories are working great so far, no errors. When you're looking at a user's blog list and one of the entries has attachment thumbnails, the category tags are not placed under the attachment thumbnails. They are placed above it which looks kind of weird. Would look better if it was under the attachments.

Screen Shot 2013-09-08 at 12.38.15 AM.webp

Receiving an error when trying to show the widget on the sidebar for recent entries.

Render: Better Blogs: Recent Entries

Code:
Error Info
ErrorException: Argument 1 passed to XfAddOns_Blogs_Model_Blog::prepareBlog() must be an array, null given, called in /home/spider7/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Panel/Entries.php on line 45 and defined - library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Model/Blog.php:49
Generated By: JessWrite, A moment ago
Stack Trace
#0 /home/admin/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Model/Blog.php(49): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(4096, 'Argument 1 pass...', '/home/spider7/p...', 49, Array)
#1 /home/admin/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Panel/Entries.php(45): XfAddOns_Blogs_Model_Blog->prepareBlog(NULL)
#2 /home/admin/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Widget/Entries.php(37): XfAddOns_Blogs_Panel_Entries->getEntriesFiltered('xfab_wf_19', 'post_date', 'DESC', 5)
#3 /home/admin/public_html/library/WidgetFramework/WidgetRenderer.php(637): XfAddOns_Blogs_Widget_Entries->_render(Array, 'forum_list', Array, Object(XenForo_Template_Public))
#4 /home/admin/public_html/library/WidgetFramework/Core.php(335): WidgetFramework_WidgetRenderer->render(Array, 'forum_list', Array, Object(XenForo_Template_Public), '??????????????<...')
#5 /home/admin/public_html/library/WidgetFramework/Core.php(246): WidgetFramework_Core->_renderWidgetsFor('forum_list', Array, Object(XenForo_Template_Public), '????????????<!-...')
#6 /home/admin/public_html/library/WidgetFramework/Listener.php(51): WidgetFramework_Core->renderWidgetsFor('forum_list', Array, Object(XenForo_Template_Public), Array)
#7 [internal function]: WidgetFramework_Listener::template_post_render('forum_list', '????????????<ol...', Array, Object(XenForo_Template_Public))
#8 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/CodeEvent.php(58): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#9 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/Template/Abstract.php(195): XenForo_CodeEvent::fire('template_post_r...', Array, 'forum_list')
#10 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/Template/Public.php(110): XenForo_Template_Abstract->render()
#11 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/ViewRenderer/HtmlPublic.php(119): XenForo_Template_Public->render()
#12 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(604): XenForo_ViewRenderer_HtmlPublic->renderContainer(Object(XenForo_Template_Public), Array)
#13 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(158): XenForo_FrontController->renderView(Object(XenForo_ControllerResponse_View), Object(XenForo_ViewRenderer_HtmlPublic), Array)
#14 /home/admin/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#15 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(29) "http://www.site.org/"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

When the widget's enabled, it shows the error and a white screen on the index page.

Receiving an error when trying to show the widget on the sidebar for recent entries.

Render: Better Blogs: Recent Entries

Code:
Error Info
ErrorException: Argument 1 passed to XfAddOns_Blogs_Model_Blog::prepareBlog() must be an array, null given, called in /home/spider7/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Panel/Entries.php on line 45 and defined - library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Model/Blog.php:49
Generated By: JessWrite, A moment ago
Stack Trace
#0 /home/admin/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Model/Blog.php(49): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(4096, 'Argument 1 pass...', '/home/spider7/p...', 49, Array)
#1 /home/admin/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Panel/Entries.php(45): XfAddOns_Blogs_Model_Blog->prepareBlog(NULL)
#2 /home/admin/public_html/library/XfAddOns/Blogs/Widget/Entries.php(37): XfAddOns_Blogs_Panel_Entries->getEntriesFiltered('xfab_wf_19', 'post_date', 'DESC', 5)
#3 /home/admin/public_html/library/WidgetFramework/WidgetRenderer.php(637): XfAddOns_Blogs_Widget_Entries->_render(Array, 'forum_list', Array, Object(XenForo_Template_Public))
#4 /home/admin/public_html/library/WidgetFramework/Core.php(335): WidgetFramework_WidgetRenderer->render(Array, 'forum_list', Array, Object(XenForo_Template_Public), '??????????????<...')
#5 /home/admin/public_html/library/WidgetFramework/Core.php(246): WidgetFramework_Core->_renderWidgetsFor('forum_list', Array, Object(XenForo_Template_Public), '????????????<!-...')
#6 /home/admin/public_html/library/WidgetFramework/Listener.php(51): WidgetFramework_Core->renderWidgetsFor('forum_list', Array, Object(XenForo_Template_Public), Array)
#7 [internal function]: WidgetFramework_Listener::template_post_render('forum_list', '????????????<ol...', Array, Object(XenForo_Template_Public))
#8 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/CodeEvent.php(58): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#9 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/Template/Abstract.php(195): XenForo_CodeEvent::fire('template_post_r...', Array, 'forum_list')
#10 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/Template/Public.php(110): XenForo_Template_Abstract->render()
#11 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/ViewRenderer/HtmlPublic.php(119): XenForo_Template_Public->render()
#12 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(604): XenForo_ViewRenderer_HtmlPublic->renderContainer(Object(XenForo_Template_Public), Array)
#13 /home/admin/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(158): XenForo_FrontController->renderView(Object(XenForo_ControllerResponse_View), Object(XenForo_ViewRenderer_HtmlPublic), Array)
#14 /home/admin/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#15 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(29) "http://www.site.org/"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

When the widget's enabled, it shows the error and a white screen on the index page.
Could you try deleting that widget, and adding it again? (that will force the information to be retrieved again)

For some reason, the associated blog to the entry was not found. That should not happen normally, but it could be an edge case.

Slight privacy issue. When you are viewing a private blog entry that you created and only added yourself to, other members can see the title and link of the private entry you are viewing in both member's card, profile page and who's online page.

Last edited:
Rigel Kentaurus updated Better Blogs [1.2 compatible] with a new update entry:
1.0.24 Edit History

If you like this add-on, please post a review. It takes 1 minute and I enjoy the feedback! :)

Existing Customers - Download here: http://xfaddons.com/index.php?forums/better-blogs.10/
New Customers: Click on "Buy Now" on top of this thread for instant delivery to your email

If you don't have access send me a conversation with your username at xfaddons.com and your paypal transaction id

========================

New features

• Implemented Edit History for both entries and comments. Authors will be able to see the edit history of their own entries, and an optional usergroup permission has been added to see history for all entries and comments.
screen-shot-2013-09-06-at-8-42-19-pm-png.56314

Changes

• Improvement: The "B" icon that appears next to a post now hides on small devices
  • Improvement: The avatar in the Blogs Home Page is now responsive and will reduce to 48px
  • Refactor: The "B" icon is now driven off Template Replacements instead of Template Hooks
  • New: The "B" icon will appear in profile posts as well
  • New: The "B" icon will appear in the member card
  • New: The "B" icon will appear in the member page
Bug fixes
  • Add-on was throwing an error when a user that does not exist was added to the list on entry creation
  • Entries scoped to "Followed users" were accesible but hidden from the Blog Index page
  • The widget panel on the right was not showing entries scoped to a "List of Users" when the visitor was indeed allowed

Random question but a member asked me if she could create an anonymous blog and there is no feature. Have you ever had someone ask you about that and have you ever considered the feature? There is already an anonymous threads type of addon by @xfrocks and @Luke Foreman

Random question but a member asked me if she could create an anonymous blog and there is no feature. Have you ever had someone ask you about that and have you ever considered the feature? There is already an anonymous threads type of addon by @xfrocks and @Luke Foreman
It would complicate incredibly the package for a feature that most people will actually disable.
I would say just create a new random user :)

Hi - just a quick question.
I ordered better blogs and the message said it would be delivered to my paypal address.
It has not yet arrived - does that happen a few hours after ordering?
Thanks
Cupre

I ordered better blogs and the message said it would be delivered to my paypal address.
Thanks
Cupre
@Rigel Kentaurus usually is online late at night (from what I've noticed). So to speed things up, you may want to register an account here http://xfaddons.com/ on his site and be sure to use the same e-mail address you used for paypal.

I've never gotten a copy in my inbox from him. Always downloaded it from his site.

Thanks
Cupre
Check your spam folder, it comes from ejunkie (my payment and downloads processor). Send me a message with your paypal transaction number or email if that is not the case and I'll manually send you a link

Rigel Kentaurus updated Better Blogs [1.2 compatible] with a new update entry:
1.0.25 Inline moderation

If you like this add-on, please post a review. It takes 1 minute and I enjoy the feedback! :)

Existing Customers - Download here: http://xfaddons.com/index.php?forums/better-blogs.10/

New Customers: Click on "Buy Now" on top of this thread for instant delivery to your email

If you don't have access send me a conversation with your username at xfaddons.com and your paypal transaction id

========================

New features

• Inline Moderation for threads: You may now select multiple threads on the blog index page and delete/undelete them
  • Inline Moderation for comments: You may now select multiple comments on an entry and delete/undelete them
Bug fixes
  • The CSS for the "B" icon was always being applied
  • The spam cleaner may corrupt the spammer's blog count in some scenarios

A few requests:

- The option to, instead of adding a B next to the avatar, add a link to the blog with entry count below the avatar, just like it shows Likes: X, it could show Blog Entries: X, with the number being a link to the blog.
Could you try deleting that widget, and adding it again? (that will force the information to be retrieved again)

For some reason, the associated blog to the entry was not found. That should not happen normally, but it could be an edge case.

This worked, thanks! If a blog's deleted and would show up from that widget, will this problem re-emerge? I'm concerned about the board going down with the error randomly from this issue.

Thanks so much for the updates and support with this addon. ;)

Top Bottom