Better Blogs [Deleted]

If you care to give it a try sometime in the future, in a nutshell, this is what you do ...

1. Make sure you are using the new version, since that has a master switch in the config.php :)
2. In your site url, put 8thos.com
3. In the blogs url, put 8thos.com
4. In the cookies domain, put .8thos.com
5. You need to create an A entry on your DNS for *
Code:
*.8thos.com.    IN    A    173.248.188.141
6. You need to modify your apache config to make the default DocumentRoot your XenForo installation
7. Enable the setting in the config.php (the name of the setting is on the Blog Multisite options)

Done :)
I'm guessing this is something which isn't exactly going to work with Cloudflare or Incapsula, eh?

I'm guessing this is something which isn't exactly going to work with Cloudflare or Incapsula, eh?
"Maybe"
Cloudflare takes over your dns servers, but still sends all the traffic for your site, I haven't seen how it behaves with a catch-all domain, but that is something to be talked with them. Worst case scenario your main site is using cloudflare and the multisite blogs are going straight to your server

"Maybe"
Cloudflare takes over your dns servers, but still sends all the traffic for your site, I haven't seen how it behaves with a catch-all domain, but that is something to be talked with them. Worst case scenario your main site is using cloudflare and the multisite blogs are going straight to your server
To answer the question, no it does not work with Cloudflare or alike services.

But as a point of interest, can't seem to get it to work without it either... End up getting 404 error any time I view someone's blog & so I disabled it for now.

I'm wondering if maybe this is because my site is in sociallyuncensored.eu/forums/ and not directly sociallyuncensored.eu

I believe I have my A records correct

2013-8-29 14 10 46.webp

To answer the question, no it does not work with Cloudflare or alike services.

But as a point of interest, can't seem to get it to work without it either... End up getting 404 error any time I view someone's blog & so I disabled it for now.

I'm wondering if maybe this is because my site is in sociallyuncensored.eu/forums/ and not directly sociallyuncensored.eu

I believe I have my A records correct

View attachment 55515

Just to set expectations right, I do not provide free support for MultiSite, there is a fee associated with that specific feature as specified on top of this thread :)
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/better-blogs-1-2-compatible.36836/#post-420053

Mocking with server configurations is unique for each person, and does not scale properly, so I charge individually for that.

If you can get it working, all power to you! (several people have), else, I charge a consulting fee for helping people out with their server and dns config.

Just to set expectations right, I do not provide free support for MultiSite, there is a fee associated with that specific feature as specified on top of this thread :)
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/better-blogs-1-2-compatible.36836/#post-420053

Mocking with server configurations is unique for each person, and does not scale properly, so I charge individually for that.

If you can get it working, all power to you! (several people have), else, I charge a consulting fee for helping people out with their server and dns config.
Thanks, but no thanks.

I'll figure it out on my own or have my hosting provider, whom I already pay, to help with such matters.

I have an implementation of Global Categories ready
http://xfaddons.com/index.php?threads/better-blogs-1-0-21.143/

Would you mind trying a run of your import process?
It should now bring in the same Global Categories as in vBulletin, they will appear on the Home Page

If you want to deny your users the ability to create categories there is also a permission for that in the UserGroup in the AdminCP
Tried it and Categories are imported. I'm encountering the following issues:
  1. category names with '&' in it get html code for this symbol instead: &
  2. entries do not get attributed correctly to categories. For example: the first category should have 15 entries. But the category listing has (2) while the category only shows 1 entry.
  3. there are no subcategories, so the import does not import the child - parent relation.
  4. entries with a lot of categories have styling issues due to the blue label/tag images interconnecting.

Well, it's a bug, the media query is not there or not working :)
I already acknowledged the bug, it will be fixed in a future release.
I understand these things happen, but if you fail to provide a time frame for the next release it makes it very difficult for me to evaluate if we can wait for it or should find a new solution for blogs.

I understand these things happen, but if you fail to provide a time frame for the next release it makes it very difficult for me to evaluate if we can wait for it or should find a new solution for blogs.
I cannot commit to a timeframe, so I would advice you to explore finding a new solution for blogs if this is priority one for you. There are also other coders in the site that you can hire to fix just that one bug for you.

The package is provided as is, and the bugs will be fixed, but I fix them depending on my availability and the other bugs that are currently in the queue. I am usually 24 hours responsive for security issues, and important issues, but the comments being not responsive is hardly a high priority issue.

You will find that this is no different from the main XenForo release, the devs do not provide a promise of when the next release will be nor what it will have.

I'm not trying to be mean, but everyone is always trying to coerce me into either implementing the features they want or fixing the one bug that upsets them. I do keep all of them in a list, but I cannot provide an ETA.

I cannot commit to a timeframe, so I would advice you to explore finding a new solution for blogs if this is priority one for you. There are also other coders in the site that you can hire to fix just that one bug for you.

The package is provided as is, and the bugs will be fixed, but I fix them depending on my availability and the other bugs that are currently in the queue. I am usually 24 hours responsive for security issues, and important issues, but the comments being not responsive is hardly a high priority issue.

You will find that this is no different from the main XenForo release, the devs do not provide a promise of when the next release will be nor what it will have.

I'm not trying to be mean, but everyone is always trying to coerce me into either implementing the features they want or fixing the one bug that upsets them. I do keep all of them in a list, but I cannot provide an ETA.
I understand you are not being mean. The bug does not upset me.

What upsets me is the fact that I was told by you that this was fully responsive.

Now after reading your answer I get the impression that you think I’m coercing you. I’m very sorry about that. That was not my intention. I was simply stating a fact.

We went for your blog system not because of all the cool features it has but because it was ready and we have a contract that kind of puts on in a spot to be completely responsive on the blog section. This is of course my problem and not yours.

Saying that comments are not a high priority accompanied by the comment about this being bought as is makes my situation ever harder.

I don’t really need you to compromise on a date for the release. What I need is a time frame because I would like to have an answer when I’m asked. I am not asking for a refund I will take full responsibility for believing your word and not testing or checking other forums that feature this add on. I understand that this is just another bug for you, but it is a deal breaker for my clients.

I think I figured out my problem.... Something so small and yet so so stupid of me.

Forum is not in document root, forum is in /forums/ ..... Kind of defeats the reasoning to have sub domain names.

Rigel Kentaurus updated Better Blogs [1.2 compatible] with a new update entry:

1.0.21 Global categories

New features
  • New permission - Can comment. You can prevent certain usergroups from commenting in a blog
  • New permission - Can create categories. You can prevent users from having their own categories
  • Global Categories. You can now specify categories through the Admin Control Panel. All members will have these categories.
Changes
  • Added a comment count to the Front Page
  • The vBulletin importer has been updated to bring in the Global Categories...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom