Anyone with a VERY large community using XenForo?

*glances at Members Online Now block* Whoa!
eek.png
I was wondering how those 4-per-row-sized avatars would look in a long list (my site has 'em like that too)... o__o

Large condom over your face?
Wow, so the milepoint site is down for many days........
I would be scared to ever take such a bold move! My site has never been down more than 8 hours since 1996.......
It's hard to imagine why the old site can't keep running while the new one is put into place.......
I remember way back when AOL was down for 3 days.....really ruined their cred and business in a lot of ways...not that I am AOL, just saying.....
Days? Actually down for 5.5 hours as we made our change and waited for the DNS to populate itself. No forum community today can be down for any length of time. The members got right back to it and yesterday (Sat.) in its 24-hour period had over 12K posts. Still some tuning to do for site performance but glad we moved to the cloud for longterm considerations. Because middle of U.S. night not too much momentum was lost and members were well advised of the downtime. 15 days, 93K posts starting from scratch.

Days? Actually down for 5.5 hours as we made our change and waited for the DNS to populate itself. No forum community today can be down for any length of time. The members got right back to it and yesterday (Sat.) in its 24-hour period had over 12K posts. Still some tuning to do for site performance but glad we moved to the cloud for longterm considerations. Because middle of U.S. night not too much momentum was lost and members were well advised of the downtime. 15 days, 93K posts starting from scratch.

Randy? Former FlyerTalk owner?

Wow....that is almost as large as the forum I admin on a dedicated server. We don't have as many members signed up, but we had maybe 250 registered members and 300 guests online at a time during peak hours. We have over five million posts. And we are bogging down. I don't think it's a resource issue since our load averages look good, but I think that the sheer number of posts in our database is probably part of the cause.

Wow, though...I was clicking through that forum and there was no delay on clicking on any of forum areas or threads. Know what hardware they are running? That is just beyond slick! It's also a testament to the efficient way in which XF operates. The forum runs like I'm the only person visiting.

I found out recently that the difference between one server and another can be vast. My community is similar in size - that is as many as 500 - 600 total guests and signed in users. My existing 3GHZ dual core pentium server with 2Gig ram was bogging down big time at about 500 users. In my case, the load average did shoot up quite a bit, as high as 7 regularly and sometimes over 15.

I replaced the server with a Xeon (quad core) 2.5 GHZ with 4 Gig ram and the difference is completely night and day! I have never seen the load go over 1 since. The actual queries times are now less than 1/2 a second for a large page rendering.

This is with a rather old CMS and Forum software. Point is only....that the server can make a bigger difference than we often think. I was expecting an improvement, but not a drop in load that far. My guess is that this setup would handle 1,000 users with ease.

We only have about a million total posts and entries, but I don't think that really slows anything down.

We're on our third dedicated server. The first two were no great hardware (the first was a lowly Celeron processor...ugh). This one we're on now was good enough a couple of years ago to where we actually dropped our separate database server and put it back on the web server, and loads stayed below 1.5 most of the time. We're running 4GB RAM, but have only a Core2 Duo right now. The drives are only SATA, but we have the database on a second drive in the box.

Installing APC Cache dropped our load numbers in half. And Sphinx cut way down on database operations. I have numerous other small tweaks in place, so I've pretty much wrung out all the performance I can, and I'm happy with that. Given the limited budget we have, and my reluctance to work for the forum's owner anymore, I would be more than pleased to leave things status quo. ;)

Installing APC Cache dropped our load numbers in half. And Sphinx cut way down on database operations. I have numerous other small tweaks in place, so I've pretty much wrung out all the performance I can, and I'm happy with that. Given the limited budget we have, and my reluctance to work for the forum's owner anymore, I would be more than pleased to leave things status quo. ;)
Rudy, is this on nginx server?

10,000 concurrent users is a huge forum.
We trundle along currently on vB 3.8.2 with between 3 and 4 thousand.
Threads: 1,257,247, Posts: 13,329,814, Members: 318,793

I'm getting a dedicated web server shortly in order to trial an import of a copy of our forum into xenForo.
I'll be reporting back how it goes.

But the more my moderators play with xenForo, the more missing features we notice we need. Little things like the ability to edit the remaining time on a thread redirect. Stuff like that.

http://www.webflyer.com/
well I guess you already have a large number of users at several of your websites?
i certainly have my followers. running any community has it's challenges. The hope is always you are active enough to make a presence within the community and as well, the vast majority seem to appreciate the efforts. learned long ago from maybe Seth Godin (?), it never pans out putting 80% of your efforts into trying to keep the 1-2% happy. move on form them and put the same effort into making the 98% happier. such is the Internet but i've been blessed by betting on the XF forum to help build a new community. in fact, so much so that while i bought the brand-free version, i have voluntarily gone back and added the brand of XF to my launch just to help this effort here.

How did you got such a huge number of post and members from scratch? did you have a site before and just moved?
No, all from scratch. launched after three weeks of beta with 180K posts. i have a positive group of followers! and really the XF platform made it all easier and possible. New members all were impressed just visiting from their experiences on vB platforms.

No, all from scratch. launched after three weeks of beta with 180K posts. i have a positive group of followers! and really the XF platform made it all easier and possible. New members all were impressed just visiting from their experiences on vB platforms.

This is what I have found overwhelmingly true with my own XF installation: users like it! As much as we admins fret about performance, plugins, features, styles, or anything else...it all comes down to the users. If they are happy with the forum platform and find it easy to be social, they will be way more likely to return.

Top Bottom