Any good news? Please help to stop rumors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because they are not posting on the forums, they are not running their business?

Communicating with clients in a business in which that is expected, is necessary for product development and good for sales means they are not running at least part of their business.

It's simply a change from how they were when they first started out.

That understates the change and is incorrect in doing so as the industry standard and the XenForo standard is and was communication with the customers.

I know if I was their attorney, I certainly would advise them to keep their traps shut.

Make no comment about the lawsuit not silent about promoting, selling and supporting your product to pay your legal and other bills. The vB folks were promoting, selling and supporting their product and, when asked directly about XenForo, then said nothing. No lawyer is telling Xenforo to not run their business.

And I'm sure that the stress of it all has weighed very heavily on them personally - your mental and physical health is affected, your marriage is affected, your family life is affected. Even moreso when you have a bunch of people here who dream up with all these conspiracy theories, allegations, assumptions, etc.

Actually I think people are speculating exactly along the lines of your speculation above, the lawsuit may have put enough pressure on XenForo to limit it's ability to move forward.

OMG with the chicken little theories already, the sky is not falling...the developers are busy right now...get over it already. take a break.

OMG with the chicken little theories already, the sky is not falling...the developers are busy right now...get over it already. take a break.

Really when did you talk to them last? That they apologized for going AWOL two months ago and apologized for causing concern among customers at least shows they understand the problem even if some of their more reflexive defenders do not.

They are not obligated to apologize to anyone for being quiet for a couple of months. No one.

Actually I think people are speculating exactly along the lines of your speculation above, the lawsuit may have put enough pressure on XenForo to limit it's ability to move forward.
I didn't say anything about it not moving forward. I simply said they're probably under a lot of pressure. Period.

Lets keep in mind that for many people running forums is more than a hobby.

For them these things have importance, for us who run it from a hobby point of view we could care less if XF's development was ceased forever, we have a running community with all we want. On the other hand for people who do run forums as more than a hobby, may it be for a client or for themselves from a business viewpoint, these things are concerning.

"What's the future?" "What can we expect in the upcoming updates?" "Will XF add x&x feature which most other forum solutions have" "Will company x&x release a better product for my community than XF", if you view from a business standpoint these things matter, and even if you don't own/run a business you would acknowledge it since if you were in their shoes that would be your concerns as well, probably many more too.

Everyone is within their rights to question what's the roadmap right now as valid paying customers. I've read a lot about this topic on a few different admin forums, many people have termed a few members as "XF Fanboies", just due to their blind faith and dissing everyone who has genuine concerns. Let's not do this, XF caters to many types of customers and each has the right to know what's the roadmap, when new features are going to be added and how XF will compete with the other big bad boys on the block.

Thanks for quoting this announcement from two months ago. Rereading it, it's clear to me why his post doesn't instill the confidence as it was hoped to. Kier says he didn't want to announce his return until he felt confident that he is back to stay, that he can devote time and effort on the product and the community. He did _not_ say that he needed to stay away from the community so that he could focus on the product - as some members insist to believe.
Exactly.
Hello everyone, it's been a while.

I'm aware that many of you have been concerned that I've not really showed my face around these parts recently. I can only apologise for my absence and ask you to understand that I've been working through some very difficult personal issues that have been a source of uncertainty and anxiety for me for some time now. I've been conflicted as to whether or not to post, as I haven't wanted to announce my return until such time as I've felt confident that I'm back to stay, and that I can devote the necessary time and effort to focus on our great product and wonderful community. Here I am.

By any measure, XenForo has been and continues to be a phenomenal success. The software has turned out better than I could ever have imagined, and the response to it from the community at large has been incredible, both in terms of sales and feedback. Seeing enormous sites like IGN moving their forums over to our software is hugely rewarding. It's a great pity that Mike, Ashley and I have been unable to really celebrate that success due to the dark shadow of the ongoing lawsuits hanging over us and the grotesque cost of mounting a defence against them, which has meant that virtually every penny that XenForo has made has been consumed by legal fees rather than paying us a salary or allowing us to hire more staff to develop our products faster. Nonetheless, I continue to have faith that the claims against us will be shown for what they are, and that in time we will emerge even stronger than before, and will continue to build world-beating software that people will want to use.

I'd like to thank the many people who've sent me personal messages of support recently. It's heart-warming to see that so many of you care enough to get in touch, even when I'm not around. Thank you, all.

Now, let's get on with doing what we do best.
The above post also pretty much settles the "they can't comment on the lawsuit, or anything for that matter" argument.

How do you know they haven't been told not to say anything, not even that they arn't allowed to say anything.

Have you considered it might be for their own protection?

They are after all being sued by a billion dollar organisation who probably has someone crawling this site daily for the slightest hint of something they could throw at them.

Perhaps absolute silence is the lesser of 2 evils.
Nobody is asking them for their opinion on the court case, nobody is asking them to comment or express how they feel about IB or Vb. Yet as you can see above, comments are being made.

Considering this and even if the above comments had not been made: there is absolutely zilch legal reasons not to say: Guys, here's how far we've gotten with stop forum spam, the mobile theme, the resource manager, etc.

None whatsoever, what you are presenting is a legal canard.

I'll get back at the legal aspect further down the line.
This is a flawed arguemnt Mark.

You buy the product because of its features, stability, support and license at the point of purchase. Not because what "might be coming" or "communication from the developers". If you are making a purchase based on what might be coming in the future... then it is no different if the developers are talking to us or not.

You could compare this to the purchase and commission of a house.

Buildingyourhouse.jpg

This is xenforo, it lacks walls, and a kitchen. You've heard the construction workers make mention of them, but at this point you don't know whether the bathroom fixtures you expected to be part of the package you purchased and continue to pay for, are abandoned in some dusty trailer, have been sold off, or are still in transit. You've tried to communicate with the prospector whom you paid good money to, asking what ever happened to the promises he made, but all he tells you is to just wait. Lately he doesn't even bother picking up your calls, your house hasn't changed in appearance in months, there is no visible activity on it. Maybe there's a handy man working on it, maybe not, one thing is certain work has not happened a the habitual pace.

Meanwhile, you've been living in a hotel for the past 8 months, you have sold your previous house, you can chose to abandon this housing project and make significant loses, or stick to it, increasing the potential impact on you and your family if the project never comes to fruition.

Frustrated yet?

To get back at FX now, at this point in time you're right in saying that it might be coming or not. Albeit vague, promises have been made, people have every reason to be tired of waiting for features like the mobile theme. It's been more than one and a half years, and by the looks of it, it could very well never come. I can't afford to just sit idly, invest further in XF products, on the off chance they come around and live up to the expectation and promises KaM themselves put forth. The release of big board search was equally veiled in mystery, this has been a problem for a long time and it apparently is only getting worse.

Half truths and nearly conflicting official statements do not help retain trust in XF's sincerity.

Some members are requesting an update and all I will say is that we are working towards developing and supporting XenForo. We are also dealing with a law suit and there are clearly many conspiracies already formed, ready prepared and this scaremongering is unhelpful, to say the least.

Who is working on what?

Now in closure: re legal.

I am of the opinion that KaM have vastly underestimated how much the tighter (group 2 as someone called it) community cares about XF, i.e those that are unsatisfied with the way business is being done, yet still have a vested interest in XF's continued existence.

I for one have not much to contribute on the financial front, I don't make a fortune with the XF product. What I do on the other hand have is a passionate disliking of as you called it: Billion Dollar organizations, messing with the little guy. Better yet, one of the things I do is bring together folks who feel the same. That is not to say they are by any means a personal army, they are most definitely not. However, I myself have for the past 4 years, and this is not to toot my own horn, meddled with a relentless multi billion organization, known to harass, legally destroy, slander or otherwise lash out at vocal critics of said organization. An organization found culpable of criminal neglect, intimidation and coercion, criminal harassment, human trafficking, fiscal fraud and many other crimes.

In doing so, I have gotten to know and often earn the respect of great many lawyers, whether it's IP, copyright, human trafficking, torts and other legal fields. I on a regular basis, if not continuously benefit from this network myself. If I learned one thing, it is that freedom of expression and freedom to pursue a livelihood is important not only to I, but also to those I have gotten to know.

Without making promises or wanting to raise expectations had XF's continued existence become a community matter, had KaM decided or realized this was too much for them to handle on their own as a business, I know that I would have done whatever is within my possibilities to assist, and I have no doubts I would not (have) be(en) the only one.

Either we are in this together, or we are your customers. In which case it is well over due to be treated as such.

You can't have both.

I didn't work it out either, having extensively watched the threads the same faces become familiar in the threads.

I don't know how anything posted today has altered that perception at all. So my puzzlement remains.

Infact given the long, well constructed and balanced nature of several posts made today, I would actually say the opposite, it apears more people are accepting that it will come when it comes... and aruging the same points back and fourth serves no purpose.

What thread have you been reading? Is this wishful interpretation or are you seriously oblivious to the fact quite a few early adopters, and individuals that wanted to support no matter what, are on the brink of taking their loss and stop giving a single F*ck.

They are not obligated to apologize to anyone for being quiet for a couple of months. No one.
For the better part of a year, notwithstanding that most aren't asking for apologies or for them to eat humble pie. A concrete update and development status announcement, and an ETA to 1.1.3 or 1.2 would suffice to most. I for one don't want to know what they thought they could accomplish 6 months ago, I would like to know where they are and what they think now.

Let me start out by saying I am very hesitant to say what I'm about to say, but I've reached the point where I have to. I have been one of their most ardent supporters since before XF even saw the light of day. I was honored and privileged to be invited to sit in on the first private screening of XF with just a handful of close friends of Kier and Mike. I am still rooting for them big time...my comments that follow do not forfeit my position as a supporter although many here seem to think anyone who expresses a position that doesn't line up with their rosy XF world view automatically does. A substantial portion of my livelihood depends on a strong and healthy XF community. I can say, unequivocally, whatever the reasons for their continued refusal to address concerns raised (sorry, but short, vague posts every two or so months does not qualify as adequate to me...and my perception is the only one that I care about) matters not to me at this point. Their actions are indeed hurting the XF ecosystem and thus my livelihood. I won't wait forever for them to get their act together...I can't. Call me chicken little, traitor or whatever, doesn't impact me at all. I'm not stupid nor easily swayed by the crowd. I have run internet businesses for a long time and I like to think I know a little bit about what I'm doing. Having said all that, I am absolutely making alternative plans that do not include XF and will continue to do so until their actions change my mind. The onus is on them to convince me I'm wrong. Take that for what it's worth, Kier, Mike, and Ashley. When one of your oldest and strongest supporters is losing faith, hopefully that matters to you.

I think $140 software is significantly different than a home. And I think the analogy about the contractor and the house is way off. If you contract for a custom home, you better have the specs and delivery requirements in the contract or you have not agreed to have the features delivered. With this software and this licensing model, you are not buying future features, but are receiving the right to install and run updates for specified period of time. But nothing is promised in the licensing agreement about future developments, nor is there anything about promises to inform or communicate anything in the forums.

I don't think there have been any broken promises nor any half-truths. I recall discussion of things that were being worked on and would be in future releases. But nothing has not been delivered that they said would be in the releases.

People might wish that they were told things or to hear more. But, this was not promised. And there is no "right" to this information. People certainly can be mad about not hearing more, having a road map, or having whatever else they would like to have. And they can choose not to continue to buy renewals, they can move on to another platform, or they can vent in these forums. I doubt any of this provokes any change, though.

As far as who is working on what, it is a safe bet that Mike is working on fixing bugs. Presumably, Mike and Kier are at work on developing new code (that is not to much of a leap based on the fact that there are only two folks on the development team). Again, though, take it back to a comparison with vB. Does anyone know if Kevin Sours is still the lead vB4 developer? I have seen this asked and not answered repeatedly. Is Edwin still working on CMS? Its been years (more than 2, by my count), that anything about the CMS has been discussed or improved on. Lawrence Cole stated that Paul M was working on vB5. I thought he was working on vB4 bugs. It is near impossible to get anything nailed down at vB. Folks might miss hearing from KAM. But, with a staff a tenth of the size at least (guestimate on my part) of vB, it is not surprising that they aren't posting recently. I get that this change in communication frequency was not announced. But, I think there is nothing to be done. Either decide you are happy enough with XF as it is and are confident that it will meet your needs in the future. Or decide you have to move on. Not sure there is anything else that could be done.

Either decide you are happy enough with XF as it is and are confident that it will meet your needs in the future. Or decide you have to move on. Not sure there is anything else that could be done.
Well, that's the thing. My numbers tell me many are either moving on or are in a holding pattern...or new customers are dwindling. That's my reality and I wouldn't be a bit surprised the reality of many other 3rd party vendors who add real world value to the product. We can't operate at a loss for too long - and in my case, it is all attributable to KAM going dark. It is a big deal, and knowing Kier and Mike like I do, I doubt very seriously they are slaving away working on XF to the point they can't address a critical aspect of their business...customer relations.

They think they are which is why the apology for being quiet. We think they are because that is the industry standard, the XenForo standard.

I didn't say anything about it not moving forward. I simply said they're probably under a lot of pressure.

Which is what the speculation is about since we agree they are under a LOT of pressure and the result is noticeable pulling back from XenForo.

The situation in a nutshell, as you speculate, they are under a lot of pressure. As everyone can see, it has noticeable negative affect on their engagement with XenForo. They have acknowledged it and apologized for but have not re-engaged yet so an information vacuum is created and nature abhors a vacuum.

Like all of you, I'd appreciate an update from MAK team; but I don't really get the 'house' analogy. The photo shows a home not fit to live; I'd rather compare it with XF alpha; which was not released for public consumption. When XF came out to public, it was like a small home - where most people can live happily. Yeah, it didn't have a garden and a fancy gate; but it was good enough to live in it.

Now people want to add extra rooms (features), landscape the garden, have a fancy fence and so on. It will take time, folks.

I'm going to wait until the end of June before starting to worry.

I still fail to find a good reason to worry too much. Is there a much better alternative at the moment? Didn't the developers say "development is on going"?

Didn't we all accept to take risk when we bought the product? It could be much worse.

. Their actions are indeed hurting the XF ecosystem and thus my livelihood.

Excellent point about the XF ecosystem being damaged. Some of the add ons are essential and if the add on developers move on leaving orphaned apps that don't keep evolving as the web evolves. One of the reasons I'm going with XF vs. IPB is that I've found more professional developers in the XF ecosystem than on the IPB one.

Except running in the Olympics, special or otherwise, isn't about raising one's IQ but about doing the best you possibly can, higher, stronger, faster. Whoever created the poster is a juvenile lowlife.

To this topic, XF is not doing the best it can, not even in the race and the question is will they come back or not.

Regardless of the situation, and bear in mind that I understand the lawsuit is to blame, it still sucks that we haven't had any guidance (again, I know that the lawsuit makes this probably impossible, I fully recognize that). No matter whose fault, we are still left wondering. I am a huge supporter, but if the future is so foggy that we cannot see anything ahead, it is not ridiculous for some of us to be worried. Myself, as well as most other developers that I've talked to, are in limbo. Do we continue to develop with the chance that the worst could happen? Or do we just wait. And that is the option most have taken, until we get the OK.

Excellent point about the XF ecosystem being damaged. Some of the add ons are essential and if the add on developers move on leaving orphaned apps that don't keep evolving as the web evolves. One of the reasons I'm going with XF vs. IPB is that I've found more professional developers in the XF ecosystem than on the IPB one.
Exactly. Many of us cut our teeth years ago in the vB/IPB world. We are not amateurs. In order for XF to grow and thrive, it needs to be able to attract and keep the average forum hobbyist in large numbers. The professional admins (of which make up the majority of the current customer base) have a limited need of the services of 3rd party vendors. The 3rd party ecosystem brings value to the table the core product can't in the same time frame. If we move on, the product will struggle to survive and will eventually wither and die on the vine.

Regardless of the situation, and bear in mind that I understand the lawsuit is to blame, it still sucks that we haven't had any guidance (again, I know that the lawsuit makes this probably impossible, I fully recognize that). No matter whose fault, we are still left wondering. I am a huge supporter, but if the future is so foggy that we cannot see anything ahead, it is not ridiculous for some of us to be worried. Myself, as well as most other developers that I've talked to, are in limbo. Do we continue to develop with the chance that the worst could happen? Or do we just wait. And that is the option most have taken, until we get the OK.
We would wait for 3 months :D.

John, I agree with you to a degree. But 1.1.3 is being developed, which we now know for a fact since Mike stated as much in some of the bug fix threads. This means, 1.1.3 will most likely be released in the near future.

And given that you have personal familiarity with the developers, I think it's a bit unwise to comment like this in the public. Couldn't you just pick up the phone and call them? And if you are their friend, I am sure you can keep whatever they tell you to yourself if they seek confidentiality. Friends don't criticize friends if they don't know what's wrong...

Cheers Mate!

This means, 1.1.3 will most likely be released in the near future.

Here...let me fix that for you....

This means, 1.1.3 will most likely be released in the very very very vague near future (maybe).

A lot of us are concerned. There's no doubt about that. We're concerned for a reason and let's be honest...it's one hell of a valid reason. ;)

John, I agree with you to a degree. But 1.1.3 is being developed, which we now know for a fact since Mike stated as much in some of the bug fix threads. This means, 1.1.3 will most likely be released in the near future.

That's contradicted by this statement:

1.2 with Mobile Style beta in two weeks (end of 2nd quarter) is expectation. If that is not going to be met, a clarification and update to expectations XenForo created would be in order.

And given that you have personal familiarity with the developers, I think it's a bit unwise to comment like this in the public. Couldn't you just pick up the phone and call them? And if you are their friend, I am sure you can keep whatever they tell you to yourself if they seek confidentiality. Friends don't criticize friends if they don't know what's wrong...

But business associates do question other business associates over decisions that affect their mutual business concerns and their implicit or explicit expectations of performance. XenForo wanted expert advice and asked John to give it. He's giving them some more expert business advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom