• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[8wayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have actually helped with creating portals for a couple of years over at SMF. As far as features are concerned, interface design, and documentation. So I will try to offer some ideas here that I feel are within the scope of xF.

1.| I think xenporta should have a built in tag system that will expand over your other add-ons. If possible, allows a user to write in tags on a post in the forum itself, media, events, and wiki. Have the most commonly used tags in the tag cloud. When clicking on a tag within the cloud, it shows posts from forum, media, wiki, and events. This allows a user to filter through the forum and display content they are looking for. For example, it would be nice to be able to go to your site and click on the tag "Cervantes" and it display all the media, wiki, and posts that were tagged with Cervantes. Multiple tags would be great to for sorting by relevance.
2.| Option for module to only appear to all or certain groups, as defined by the admin.(parameters)
3.| Option for module too appear at certain places with a forum, such as categories, and posts if possible.(parameters)
4.| Use jquery drag & drop for module placement at portal/modules. Or even an option to allow user's to organize it the way they want it, if possible.
5.| More modules, such as poll(show poll from post, most recent, or most voted, etc), and random text/quote.

Overall it's great like it is except I feel it desperately needs a tagging system that intergrates into your other add-ons.

So, besides the whole "promoting to article" thing (which I actually have a few ideas about), what sort of features do you guys want for XenPorta?

What would be absolutely killer for xenPorta would be to have a built-in slideshow to display above the news and in the place of the forum title. The built-in slideshow would take attached images in the first post of a thread (specific 'news' thread or multiple threads if possible) and have that be the display slide. Then, when the 'slide' (image) is clicked, it would go to the thread created.

Examples here in this request: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/slideshow-integration-with-thread-creation.7665/

In my opinion, this would completely finish off the look of a CMS and would give all sites using XenPorta the complete website homepage feel! :D

I think it would be best as a module. I'd imagine in time several people will make a variety of slideshows or "news sliders".

I think it would be best as a module. I'd imagine in time several people will make a variety of slideshows or "news sliders".

As long as they were built-in based on the newest threads in a particular forum and uses the attached image from the first post on that thread, then that would be cool.

I'm using static slideshows at www.MysteryDistrict.com and www.FantasyLeagueForums.com, but it isn't the same since you have to go into the code and change the slides and text every time.

NICE! this mod just adds more sex appeal to xenforo (on top of it already being amazing)... why not have all the bells and whistles?

If you don't need it, don't use it? .. bells and whistles is what resulted in marque and blink and flash headers on web sites that had nothing to say but "welcome, we will open soon" :)

I rather see things stay simple and uncluttered. I think this addon doens't add clutter though; especially if you need it.

If you don't need it, don't use it? .. bells and whistles is what resulted in marque and blink and flash headers on web sites that had nothing to say but "welcome, we will open soon" :)

I rather see things stay simple and uncluttered. I think this addon doens't add clutter though; especially if you need it.

well, because any flash would be in a module that you would had after the fact would it really be cluttering much up?

I have two more suggestions.

The ability to apply a specific template to the portal. This way the portal page could have a 'bigger' style before letting people pass into the forum or other areas.

On the news module could you make tabs?

Agree with points 2 to 5 (although there seem to be a lot more modules being produced now) that Xarcell has mentioned. Especially option 4, the ability to change the layout to how we'd like it (IMO doesn't have to be a drag and drop although that would be very nice). For instance we have a left and right side column with the center first row 2 columns, second row 3 columns and third row 4 columns, the first 2 rows have columns of different widths.

Well looks amazing so far. Seems to be working well, ill be doing a little testing over the next couple of days and if all seems well i will be keeping the portal and making a donation.

If anybody is interested in checking out my portal installation
Please note this is just development, site is 3 days old! If you wish to post for testing go nuts! Just please nothing that shouldnt be posted!
http://www.mmazone.com.au/community/portal
I didn't realize you can have 3 columns with this. I thought it was just a sidebar and the left main content areas. ??

There are also some issues with my portal layout.

qZaqG.png

I had the same issue but they thought it was a user end problem :D I applied the changes now the layout issue was fixed.

It would be nice to have the option of submitting to facebook when promoting or creating! :) Also the ability to create new grids. Keep up the good work! :D

[8wayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal) v1.0.7 CHANGELOG
  • Added a [prebreak][/prebreak] BBcode... You can now define the preview break location for the recent news.
  • Altered the preview thumbnail system for recent news. Now it will first search for attachment thumbnails, then it will search for embedded [medio] tags (XenMedio). If all else fails, it will default to the user icon.
  • Make sure you upload the new RecentNews.xml module to see the changes.
  • Added CACHE support for modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom