YouTube Musician Evan Emory Faces 20 Years in Prison for Clever Editing

If you can't tell that, then there is little I can say. If you really think that even the risk for 20 years in prison is appropriate in this case, then I'm happy I'm not living in your country.

I think people who take advantage of children for their own self-promotion purposes are lucky it's just 20 years. If your country thinks it's just fine to use children in this way, then I'm glad I'm not living in there.

An American president certainly needs to guard and shepherd his political capital, and should not speak out about every prisoner. But Musa himself has appealed to “President Brother Obama” to rescue him from his current jail. And when an obscure and aberrant Florida pastor, Terry Jones, threatened to burn a Koran, not only President Obama but much of his cabinet, as well as General Petraeus, weighed in on the matter.
If the actions of a Florida pastor who threatened to destroy a book holy to Muslims deserved public and presidential attention, then the actions of the Afghan government, ostensibly a ‘democratic’ ally, to destroy something holy to Christians, a human being made in the image of God, also deserve public and presidential attention.
...this is scary I hope the writer of that article made this up.
Respect the laws of your country.
I hear yah but in regards to the original post it was a state charge I think not federal. He did not break any federal statutes as far as I know.

The thing is the footage he used was from a recording of his presentation I believe that he gave. They did not require consent from the parents for him to do it and obtain said footage so it is the schools fault...as much as you want to hate the guy...the school is at fault.

While I don't cut the school any slack whatsoever in this situation, I think it's disingenuous of him and anyone defending him to pretend that he asked for permission. If he had said, "I want to film these children reacting to a harmless song and then use that footage to pretend they're listening to a much racier song for adults," and they still gave him permission - then, and only then, would he have a leg to stand on with his "I asked for permission" excuse.

I think people who take advantage of children for their own self-promotion purposes are lucky it's just 20 years. If your country thinks it's just fine to use children in this way, then I'm glad I'm not living in there.
I can say this...he should not be criminally charged...
If I was a parent of one of those kids...in a matter of self-interest would probably end up doing a 20 year stretch myself. But these are feelings. And there are laws. The way the video was done should not fall under purview of provisions set forth in protection of a minor...anyone in the world who saw it would not know where these kids were and/or recognize them in a few years the media connected the random information otherwise it would have been a local thing....google earth had my face on a street view with someone I would have not liked to be seen with for privacy/personal reason....how come I can't make claims against google (not that I would) and how come they can use they're SAT access and images to bring in hits to their site when my privacy is being violated . What is the difference. Personally I don't want ANYONE to have a picture of me that I didn't give them.

I mean this whole thing is a big mess that boils down to city council, board of education, blah blah, not having proper procedure for visitors to an elementary school.

Incredible. Do you even understand what this is exactly about? Do you understand 20 years in prison?

Nowhere was said this is fine. You just made that up. But you did confirm that 20 years isn't even enough, a punishment I believe is more suitable for murderers and rapists.

I'm just speechless really.

While I don't cut the school any slack whatsoever in this situation, I think it's disingenuous of him and anyone defending him to pretend that he asked for permission. If he had said, "I want to film these children reacting to a harmless song and then use that footage to pretend they're listening to a much racier song for adults," and they still gave him permission - then, and only then, would he have a leg to stand on with his "I asked for permission" excuse.
right but they did not have him sign anything saying he is responsible for his actions there...the kids have to sign permission slips so that kids parents can't sue them if their child gets harmed on a field trip. It would be ridiculous to have a specific doc like that I agree.. but the school basically freehand cosigned him word of mouth...not proper for the people watching your kids 8 hours a day thats all Im saying...I don't want to throw mud on the guy after all.

He has a right to a trial by jury in this manner...like I said before do you think anyone now that this is public is going to say in front of 11 other people that they think he is innocent...no...and the thing is to be guilty, there has to be NO reasonable doubt, and they are already running this guilty until proven innocent. Like I said they are breaking federal laws prosecuting him in state level. It is bad. that's my whole issue. I don't respect him...but I respect the Constitution as it was written and to say I am a law abiding citizen I would have to respect the due process that the Constitution demands. If he did break what his state considers to be a law...the so be it...but the minute they break laws to enforce them ...they are just criminals himself. It's like a witch-trial minus Christians and oil.

They are charging him with that because the police are on the same budget as the school...if the school get's sued the whole town loses. Rally everyone against him and he stands no chance with judge or jury and will get railroaded. I have seen this many times though different circs. don't have sympathy for him at all. I feel the loss of due process.

you did confirm that 20 years isn't even enough, a punishment I believe is more suitable for murderers and rapists.

Cold Blooded Killers (not your crimes of passion and self defense) should be shot and rapists should be forced to fornicate with a broomstick over an open fire...but again I don't make the laws I interpret them and let a judge rule on my interpretation. And there is the cruel and unusual punishment thing. But the punishment should fit the crime.

I got caught with pot and had a two year suspended sentence while the person who pointed the cops at me did so because he just got caught with ounces of cocaine and they eased up on him looking for his connect (it wasn't me) ...I was a dummy throw-away name. Weed where I am is not a felony under 4 ounces. I had .3 of a gram to put this into perspective. He paid a fine for 6-felony charges , got a letter of recomendation from his friends father (a local business owner/millionaire) and walked for giving them me. A pot smoker. He by the way got caught selling at a YMCA which during school hours here is school zoned and possession and sale of narcotics in a school zone carries a required jail sentence. I was followed and pulled over on average 6 times a week after that (being served a reverse warrant under power of the patriot act) by my local friendly boys in blue and one time while running in the house for a second they randomly showed up and had my little cousin hands on the hood being patted down...A minor. My point with this whole rambling is that I do not say eff the cops ..or eff that chit...it is part of the cat and mouse game we call the law system with loopholes that you can pay a lawyer to help get said system of your back. I have felt the heat on my back and even if this kid didn't doing anything wrong (sexually speaking, I don't care what they say what he did was not sexual, he choose raunchy words that if parents were as concerned as they act...they're kids would never see the parody anyways) and is proven in the end so , he will be labeled already and be harassed as an easy target. It takes a very long time to clear your name and by the same right that he shouldn't have posted that, they should not be making it a news story until the case is heard...sometimes they keep cases private to have the opposite effect so that peoples heart stings can't change the outcome of a case.

My view is this kid is being pressed in the way he is because now that it is a legal matter it is like the cops ignored the fact that he did not let himself him to the school and everyone in his area is focusing on him not the schools liability. If these so called CONCERNED PARENTS cared they would be addressing their school-board. I mean you can select your babysitter...you can't select the teachers and staff....you can also select what your kid watches on tv but during school hours..your child's school is responsible for who they come into contact with.

I am going to take a break from this thread...emotions are flying high here...I don't care where you are from people, you are all just pixels to me on a computer screen. If you take the time beyond that to get to know me, then you are my equal as a HUMAN. Period ... anything less is a double standard and I will not watch a thread do that. I can't do anything else now accept not post anymore here.

Yup, an entire nation can be categorized because of the actions of a few.
"With all respect for Americans opposing this frenzy" ;)

I say US because I believe punishment in most US states is too excessive and the system is very expensive and not really effective in lowering crime rates.

Cold Blooded Killers (not your crimes of passion and self defense) should be shot and rapists should be forced to fornicate with a broomstick over an open fire...but again I don't make the laws I interpret them and let a judge rule on my interpretation. And there is the cruel and unusual punishment thing. But the punishment should fit the crime.
Sorry EQ I do not believe in the death penalty or torture, I think it's barbaric medieval practice and has no place in modern society. Besides it has many problems, which are well known.

True but sheltering a serial killer in a cell costs money ...it comes from taxpayers...

I was making a point though relevant to the issue...people want this kid in jail...and I want rapists all to be sodomized and extinguished as they have NOTHING to offer society. My point if you read the whole post earlier was that just because I want that , doesn't make it approriate for punishment...it only suits my wants. And as you said that would make me no better than him..I was relating to the kid who is going to trial against a 20 year bid and people saying good he should go to jail...it's self satisfying...he did not commit a real crime. It just so happens that this improper procedure is fulfilling some remote need for retribution. And though my degree in explantion was extreme I was reiterating a point...everything with due process and proper procedure. If not, nothing matters....not one single rule.

I know 5 people (2 personally and well ) who have been murdered and I know a few people in jail for the same. I as well, as the jailed people themselves know they do not deserve life anymore for what they have done. If it wasn't in self defense/survival you have no right taking a life (in my state you are not legally able to defend yourself, you will be arrested processed and prosecuted for doing so) and the punishment should fit the crime. I would like to agree with you and say we are civilized beyond that....but these crimes persist...and you can only be as strong as your weakest point.

Here read this....http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/p/petit_family/index.html
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Stress...hayes-death-penalty-closure/story?id=12103364
my mother knew the Petits well....look around and see what else you find about this.....then imagine you are him and that was your family. I will say no more.

Somewhere over the last 250 or so years, Americans forgot that the 1st Amendment was written to protect a person's right to offensive speech. I don't know exactly when, but secular humanism and liberlaism perverted "freedom of" into "freedom from" speech, religion, a free press (ie talk radio), armed citizenry.

We're spiraling down the bowl, waiting for the final flush if things continue in this direction.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin

Top Bottom