Your talents/hobbies other than computers....

I cook ! šŸ„˜

Wet Hot American Summer Cooking GIF by NETFLIX

What are some of your hobbies? Woodworking? Artist? Crafts? Gardening? Do you sell your work? I ask because it's always neat to see other aspects of people and I'm looking to purchase "homemade only" this year for Christmas gifts...

There is more to life and people than computers and forums.. :)
Photography is likely the truest 'hobby' of mine these days, followed up by collecting vintage sci-fi collectibles. I do not get much time lately to enjoy either but try to keep up with them to keep the mind occupied from the 'Day Job' of development. None of the hobbies generate income, they're strictly stress reducers.

If you're into photography, here's a thread that you might like. For some reason tractors caught the interest of a lot of our members and it spread from it's dedicated thread into the 'trucks' thread as well. šŸ¤£

Me too but I haven't built anything with a full cage yet.
I'm too late to get an FJ Cruiser...have you seen the prices on those lately?? TFLtalk just did a 75 minute podcast/YouTube episode on the offroad Toyotas. If I do any sort of build, I probably have to go with an Xterra or Frontier. I'm wanting to head to Utah and Colorado and do a lot of wheeling.

I'm too late to get an FJ Cruiser...have you seen the prices on those lately?? TFLtalk just did a 75 minute podcast/YouTube episode on the offroad Toyotas. If I do any sort of build, I probably have to go with an Xterra or Frontier. I'm wanting to head to Utah and Colorado and do a lot of wheeling.
Yes, prices are insane now for a lot of desirable Toyota and other 4x4 trucks. It's crazy.

Keep your eye on

and

although those sites focus on stuff in good condition so unless you get lucky in an auction, it's probably not the best way to find lower prices.

Yeah, Bring A Trailer is known for being pricey (other than the venture capital used car dealers like Carvana), as it mainly deals in top-quality cars vs. something that might some TLC. I'm not sure Cars & Bids would have what I'm looking for, but I see it is doing well (Doug DeMuro founded it). I'm OK with a project, as I'd do the repairs and mods myself. The two things holding me back regarding an FJ (beside the cost) is the poor outward visibility towards the back, and the frame rusting issues. I've found two up here in the rust belt where they were being sold with frame damage from rust. I would have to try to find some in the salt-free states and look them over if I really wanted one.

Much as I don't want to, I'd probably have to settle for an Xterra or Frontier. Those are still a bargain, and plentiful. The Pro-4X versions (Nissan's equivalent to Toyota's TRD Off-Road) have a couple of additional features (like the locking rear diff) but demand a stiff premium, although I could swap in the rear axle and wire it up if I really wanted to. Anything like front bumper, winch, armor, lift, etc. are mods I would do here at home. And after all that, I wonder if it's really worth it--I want to do some wheeling out west, but there is nowhere in my part of the country that has anything comparable. So I'd own a 4x4 just to use it only a few weeks out of the year. Although if we do end up relocating to that part of the country as we've been talking about, I would get a lot of use out of it.

Have you ever been to something like the Winter 4x4 Jamboree? I'm aiming to go there one of these years, provided I can get something built and ready.

updated from building stuff to driving stuff...
You live in one of my favorite parts of the country. I wouldn't be that much into rock crawling, but there are a lot of trails with smaller obstacles I'd like to try. A few near Moab, some out around Sand Hollow, etc. Very good offroad community down that way also. And recovery isn't that far away, for when I'd get stuck...

Have you ever been to something like the Winter 4x4 Jamboree? I'm aiming to go there one of these years, provided I can get something built and ready.
I guide at Winter 4x4 Jambo every year and am one of the core committee for Trail Hero. Arguably, I wheel Sand Hollow 2-3x a week average. I named Triple 7's, RollerCoaster, 4G, and helped break a handful of other trails.

Enroute to TX right now, Wolf Caves and K2 for a few days.

I guide at Winter 4x4 Jambo every year and am one of the core committee for Trail Hero. Arguably, I wheel Sand Hollow 2-3x a week average. I named Triple 7's, RollerCoaster, 4G, and helped break a handful of other trails.
Fantastic! I'll let you know if I get out that way. šŸ‘

For sure is the topiuc of my forum my main hobby, then indeed my Miata.
View attachment 265760
One of my favorite cars ever since the original came out. Never owned one (I love cars but am also horribly practical in the ones I buy) but if I was going to take a flier and buy something for style rather than practicality ... yeah.

(PS. I live in a snow-heavy part of Canada so roadsters are kind of useless anyhow from December to March)

(PS. I live in a snow-heavy part of Canada so roadsters are kind of useless anyhow from December to March)
I'm looking at a convertible as well, and our useless months here are probably November to March. Not so much for the snow, but for the road salt. It tears up the cars, as you probably are aware.

(I love cars but am also horribly practical in the ones I buy)
I may be driving my "soul-sucking Japanese appliance" in a road rally, so I totally get it. šŸ¤£ It needs some major work done before I go, and the aforementioned crappy weather is what is holding me back from getting it done before mid April. We bounce anywhere from 25Ā° to 60Ā° with mixtures of sun, clouds, rain and snow during these next several weeks.

Manufacture and modification of sports exhaust systems
I am going to start learning welding this summer--I already have a welder on hand, and one of my tasks is to repair (for now) an exhaust that is failing at only one point. No sense in replacing the entire exhaust if only one spot is rusting out--I can patch in a new piece easily.

I like watching exhaust systems get built, though. It's like putting together a puzzle, working around all the various parts of a vehicle to make it fit without interference.

Top Bottom