Implemented Your News Feed: add a link to the Profile Post if someone changes his/her Status.

Grover

When I look at my News Feed now, I can see this when someone has changed their status:

---
Kier Aah, Bed at 3 and up again at 6:30: Good night my servants...
---

With 'Kier' being a link to the Member Card:

status.webp

My thoughts:

• In a split second I tought... what is this? I didn't recognize it was a changed Status that was displayed here. This has got to do with the fact that there is no mention of the action. Wouldn't it be a good idea to display it like this:

Kier has a new status Aah, Bed at 3 and up again at 6:30: Good night my servants...

... and then the text of the status is a link to the actual Profile post where the user changed his/her status. Just like it works with every other feed entry, for consistency sake and usability.
    -
  • Don't know if it is even (technically) possible to transfer the enduser to the actual Profile post where the status has been changed, but by doing so XF will stimulate comments on a changed status and this is good for the social activity of XF powered webboards. Now there's only the link to 'Kier' (his Membercard) and that doesn't quite give any additional value, does it?

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Only 4 'likes' ;)... and there I am believing the above suggestions of myself are pretty darn good! :).

Seriously, they are good, aren't they? I am also happy to say that point #2 'Don't know if it is even (technically) possible to transfer the enduser to the actual Profile post where the status has been changed' , is also possible. Example herrrrre: http://xenforo.com/community/members/kier.2/#profile-post-4669

Wouldn't you agree that having a link from the News Feed entry straight to that profile post is much more user friendly (and stimulating) then having to:

• Click on Kier in the 'Kier I'm wearing socks! And you all thought the world would end in 2012. Surprise!' entry,
  • You are then transferred to the Membercard. So will have to click on 'Profile Page' in the MemberCard,
  • And then having to search for the profile post inside the profile where Kier has changed his status...
-
Those 3 unnecessary steps can be reduced to 1 single click.

Not including the "has a new status" was deliberate as it allows for more flexibility when it comes to status updates.

For example:

Grover has a new status is feeling happy today

Grover is feeling happy today

Not including the "has a new status" was deliberate as it allows for more flexibility when it comes to status updates.

For example:

Grover has a new status is feeling happy today

Grover is feeling happy today

Thanks for explaining the reasons behind it Brogan, gives me more insight.

I still think...
I didn't recognize it was a changed Status that was displayed here. This has got to do with the fact that there is no mention of the action
... that it would be best to be consistent and display the action. Like XF does on every other single News Feed entry.

However, I now do understand the reasons not to. The points I made here are the most important anyway. They seem a simple and obvious improvement and hopefully will stimulate commenting on statuses a bit.

Thanks,

I guess there are different solutions and likes. My preference would -still- be to display it like this:

Mike has a new status update 'Why am I awake'

This is the most consistent with how the rest of the News Feed items actually are displayed.

I like that a fair amount better then the little '»' that is now offered. However, this latter solution is already better then nothing at all.

I do understand the reasoning behind not choosing to include the action (stuff like this makes it really obvious that so much thought goes into this product: really great (y) ).
But from my point of view I would think that not many people will notice or care that in the huge list of items in their newsfeed there will be once per year (meaning: it does not occur very much to begin with, since not many people will use their status updates like that anyway) a little entry saying:

Brogan has a new status update 'is happy to be back'

Instead of the 'grammatically correct':

Brogan is happy to be back »

- Who is going to use his/her status update anyway in the form of starting your post with 'is...' ?
- And since the middle text is in gray is reads like 'Brogan is happy to be back' anyway...
- I myself would choose consistency in the News Feed over little exceptions like this.

Having said all that (/nitpicking mode off... sorry I am a bit of a detail perfectionist ;)): thanks for including the '»' !

Top Bottom