You say donuts, I say doughnuts

Robert F Schmitz

The wife is getting ready to launch a doughnut (donut) business. Our small PA town serves as one of the last stops before many get in the highway to their places of work.

It has been over 20 years since the last doughnut shop existed in town and that one boomed with business until the owner retired and closed the business.

What are your favorites and if you have recipes to share, it would be appreciated.

:)

I live in Western PA (as my profile states lol), my brother lives in north eastern central PA (Danville). There have been several times where I've gotten lost and ended up randomly in South Central or other random parts of PA. lol

My wife's relatives live in the areas around Allentown and Philly so I get to travel out that way. North central and western PA are two areas I haven't been in to date. Well if you ever get lost in South Central, give me a shout! :cool:

My wife's relatives live in the areas around Allentown and Philly so I get to travel out that way. North central and western PA are two areas I haven't been in to date. Well if you ever get lost in South Central, give me a shout! :cool:
If I ever get that lost, I'll take you up on that. Lol. I usually call my parents and they get me back on my way.

You guys don't have a Dunkin' Donuts in your town? Wow...

When DD changed their business structure from bake in store to delivered they took a nosedive not to mention the donuts getting smaller. Frankly, DD sucks.

There is a DD Jaxel but about 4 miles away and not in the direct flow of outbound traffic. That is what makes this area so ideal! :D

You might want to check out Kim's forum and see if you can get any ideas: http://yumforum.com

I suggest a maple and bacon donut though (y). Sounds weird, but it's actually really good.

I would definitely suggest "special" donuts such as a maple and bacon donut. Makes your place a 'hot spot' when someone wants a specialty donut like that. DD can't compete with something like that :)

Good luck to you!

Yeah I don't like DD either. They used to be good. My favorite used to be Krispy Kreme but they have changed their recipe or something cause they are almost nothing but air now. No substance to them at all anymore. Believe it or not my favorite now is the ones from the Walmart bakery. They still have some substance to them.......

Yeah I don't like DD either. They used to be good. My favorite used to be Krispy Kreme but they have changed their recipe or something cause they are almost nothing but air now. No substance to them at all anymore. Believe it or not my favorite now is the ones from the Walmart bakery. They still have some substance to them.......
Any chain donut store is going to be pretty horrible.

Any chain donut store is going to be pretty horrible.

You got that right. It's all about reducing their costs, raising prices, and screwing the customer. Plain and simple. Doughnut shops are almost a dime a dozen where I live. Unlike the chains they have the specialty ones and their actually have some "meat" to them. They may cost a little more but I am willing to pay for a better quality product.

Congrats to your wife Robert! :D Best of luck with the new venture, what an exciting time!

Sorry I can't really help with doughnut recipes or ideas, not a huge fan, and they are not such a big thing here...although there are plenty of doughnut places, they are all doing the same cheap rubbish that is not worth purchasing imho. Krispy Kreme is considered exotic LOL that should tell you all you need to know about the state of the doughnut industry in Australia!

I am very excited for you both though! Can't wait until I get my own bakery going!!!! :D

Tim Hortons >> DD.

Ideas:
Specialty donuts for kids
- A Superman Donut with a big S
- A Minecraft creeper donut.
- insert your disney theme donut here.
- essentially something that kids can point at and say I want that one. and that they will remember.
- whatever kids in the area like.
- any donut that has big eyes on it.

Is there a Donut with caffeine in it ?
Like a Jolt donut ?

What about a Dark Chocolate donut ?

What about a sour Donut like that Gushers candy ? (might get them to buy a drink too !).
Maybe have levels of sourness ?

Tim Hortons >> DD.

Ideas:
Specialty donuts for kids
- A Superman Donut with a big S
- A Minecraft creeper donut.
- insert your disney theme donut here.
- essentially something that kids can point at and say I want that one. and that they will remember.
- whatever kids in the area like.
- any donut that has big eyes on it.

Is there a Donut with caffeine in it ?
Like a Jolt donut ?

What about a Dark Chocolate donut ?

What about a sour Donut like that Gushers candy ? (might get them to buy a drink too !).
Maybe have levels of sourness ?

make a "Red Bull Donut", a donut with the taste of the Red Bull Drink.
http://jalopnik.com/5832901/watch-a-red-bull-f1-car-make-donuts-on-an-austin-street

The young kids all love that "Red Bull Drink".....
http://honeydewdonuts.com/news/arti...-red-bull-for-a-uplifting-twist-on-a-summer-f

:eek:

Top Bottom