1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yammer - "Enterprise Social Networking" - anyone use it ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Digital Doctor, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

2. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

The company I work for is thinking about using it.
    It lacks solid search, I can say that right now and it looks exactly like facebook.
    I'm not impressed with what I've seen.. It's for corporations to "tap into" a social media type environment and still have some control.

3. Digital Doctor

I think it's more for enterprises to use as INTERNAL social networking with full control by the company.
    I don't think it has any integration with facebook.

4. Brandon Sheley

Yes, that's exactly what's being marketed as but I don't see it being beneficial unless your company is full of 20-40 year olds who are already familiar with other social networks.
    I see it being a big waste of time in our company (gov) and I don't think we'll really use it much but we are testing it out.

I didn't say it was integrated with facebook, I said it looks exactly like facebook ;)

Digital Doctor likes this.
  5. Brandon Sheley

So we've been testing this more and more at work and I'm not sure it's going to work for us because of what we need it for but I did find out that yammer was acquired my microsoft recently
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/25/microsoft-buys-yammer-for_n_1625193.html

also here is a screenshot of what I was talking about them looking exactly like facebook.. Even down to the profile fields, adding pictures etc.. all the same as facebook

197232v1.png

6. Digital Doctor

I want a Group TODO thing.
    I wasn't able to find much about TODO lists on their site.

Have you seen such a thing ?

7. Brandon Sheley

Like project management?

Have you looked at SharePoint?

8. Digital Doctor

My needs are even less.
    I want TODOs, that can be prioritized.

I have checked it out. Not the latest version, which I hear is better.
    It could work but I want something leaner.
    If sharepoint had a good wiki I would have gone for it.

9. Brandon Sheley

like this maybe?
    http://www.taskmerlin.com/

There is another one I've seen a LOT but I didn't find it with a quick search.
    Sharepoint is nice for what it does but it's an enterprise software and a bit expensive.

BTW.. you can list off project along with % of completion in Sharepoint.

10. Digital Doctor

Thanks for TaskMerlin.

What I really want is a networked TODO list.
    I essentially want to assign myself and others tasks. Quicker the better.
    If it has some real time messaging ... even better (ie. instant message when someone assigns you a task).

I'd prefer to be able to have it on my network, but I'll settle for a web based solution.

I think TaskMerlin would fit the bill ... but that it doesn't have Instant Messaging. I read the user guide, and I don't think you can alert people with an email for a new task assigned to them.

Brandon Sheley likes this.
  11. RobinHood

RobinHood Well-Known Member

How about Trello?