XWiki [Deleted]

I think the price is too high. Set better expectations up front regarding what's involved and stick to your return policy. Offer an installation or configuration service for $300. You're pricing capable webmasters out by assuming everyone needs that kind of help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jrg
I think the price is too high. Set better expectations up front regarding what's involved and stick to your return policy. Offer an installation or configuration service for $300. You're pricing capable webmasters out by assuming everyone needs that kind of help.
The decision has been made and works flawlessly for us. We don't have any plans to revert back. While we don't want to doubt that there are people who are capable enough to do this on their own, many have proven that they're not and that they expect us to make up for that after they deliberately chose to not book the installation service. Hence is why we turned it into a mandatory thing.

Hi, I just noticed XWiki hasn't been updated since last October (7 months ago). Is that normal? I still can't decide if I want to go with Vaultwiki or XWiki; I am looking for the software that will be updated the most and that will stick around for the longterm. It seems like Vaultwiki has way more features. Can anyone who's used both weigh-in? Thank you!

We're still updating XWiki when the need is there, but it's stable to a point where doesn't happen all to often. We'll actually push a new update along with an update for XPress and XLink soon, but it fixes a single minor bug, so nothing to get too excited about. :p All in all don't let the low update rate discourage you. We're actively maintaining it, there's just not a whole lot that needs maintenance.

That's great to hear! However, are you guys ever going to implement new features that take advantage of Xenforo as a forum platform? In previous posts I outlined some features that are standard to the other Xenforo forum softwares. Yours is also the most expensive. Or do you guys always intend for it to be just a bridge like it currently is?

Last edited:
That's great to hear! However, are you guys ever going to implement new features that take advantage of Xenforo as a forum platform? In previous posts I outlined some features that are standard to the other Xenforo forum softwares. Yours is also the most expensive. Or do you guys always intend for it to be just a bridge like it currently is?

The price mostly stems from the mandatory installation service. The rest is due to the complexity of integrating two different platforms.

A wiki directly built into XenForo will naturally leverage more features of the software then one that's its own independent software. That's not something we'd ever compare our product to in the first place. If you decide for XWiki, then it should be due to being able to leverage the power of the Wiki software that pretty much powers the modern internet, and XWiki as a component to integrate your users and drop the necessary cost overhead of having to keep two styles in sync. If you're looking to get the most out of your forums features on the Wiki, a ditect forum add-on will always perform better on that, while simultaneously being much less feature rich and extendable piece of software itself. It's not something that can be compared by any means. They deliver the same major functionality in the end, but what you should decide for depends entirely on what minor pieces of functionality you want at the end of the day.

That being said, we may add some more integration features long term, but there's nothing planned specifically at this point.

To be honest, it doesn't feel like there are any ambitions for this plugin. I see the other Xenforo wiki developers constantly pumping out useful features and working with their userbase to test them. It feels like this plugin was only made as a source of income -- and I am in no way saying that's a bad thing, but what it means is that we won't see this plugin grow beyond its current functionality because you are largely satisfied with it.

For the record, I don't think the suggestions I previously made were anything that difficult, and it seems several users agreed with many of them. The suggestions I made were simply improving on features you already have, while taking advantage of the fact that all these wiki plugins are working on forum software (which is a unique advantage over simply having a wiki and a separate piece of forum software).

1. List the discussion threads for a wiki page on the page itself, such as below the wiki page's content or under an automatic "Discussion" header on the page. This way users immediately see the forum content and can jump in to the social discussions. In this way a wiki page is directly promoting forum participation, rather than being hidden away in a tab like currently.

2. Give users the ability to immediately create forum threads for a wiki page directly from the wiki page. To make it inviting to create a thread, you would see the thread-creation options on the wiki page with the thread title, content, etc. (Like when making a quick reply on the bottom of a forum thread -- it's quick and immediate.)

3. Give complete power to controlling where threads go. (They don't just get dumped into one XF subforum.) On the backend you can somehow choose a range of wiki pages based on their wiki category or some other factor and then choose what subforums that those page's threads can be created in when a user or admin decides to make a thread. This way an entire forum can be populated with active content depending on what the wiki page is about and how the subforums are set up. For example, if you have a Pikachu card page, you can create a post asking about the card's value, which can be posted into a "Collecting" subforum. Or if you have an issue with the page's content from an editor's perspective, you can post it to the "Wiki issues" forum. Or if you want to talk about the card's competitive value in a Pokemon card deck, it can go into the "Deck Help" forum. There's so much potential here. (So for all "Pokemon" wiki pages like Pikachu's, in the backend you could set "Collecting" and "Deck Help" as options to post in for regular users plus the "Wiki Issues" forum for wiki editors. In other words you can set the thread destination possibilities based on user groups and target the wiki pages for these permissions based on their category, or something.)

4. Any forum thread associated with a wiki page will have a link to that wiki page on the top. This way when users come across a forum discussion, they can go to that wiki page immediately.

5. You can also show a list of related threads from the forum on the wiki page based on certain parameters, like tags. For example if a forum thread has a tag for "Pikachu," you could see a list of "Pikachu" forum threads on the wiki page for it. This way when users come across a wiki page they can find forum discussions they might be interested in.

6. The option to completely disable MW's user pages and have them redirect to the XF profile pages.

Again, many of the features were available on other Xenforo wiki plugins years ago. I don't buy how you view your plugin vs. other Xenforo wiki softwares. In the end, people like me are looking for a "package" that links the two and also allows both the wiki and forums to promote discussion and activity on each other. Right now it's doing the latter in the most basic way possible, like an afterthought. It's not taking advantage of the forum component.

Last edited:
To be honest, it doesn't feel like there are any ambitions for this plugin. I see the other Xenforo wiki developers constantly pumping out useful features and working with their userbase to test them. It feels like this plugin was only made as a source of income -- and I am in no way saying that's a bad thing, but what it means is that we won't see this plugin grow beyond its current functionality because you are largely satisfied with it.

For the record, I don't think the suggestions I previously made were anything that difficult, and it seems several users agreed with many of them. The suggestions I made were simply improving on features you already have, while taking advantage of the fact that all these wiki plugins are working on forum software (which is a unique advantage over simply having a wiki and a separate piece of forum software).

Again, many of the features were available on other Xenforo wiki plugins years ago. I don't buy how you view your plugin vs. other Xenforo wiki softwares. In the end, people like me are looking for a "package" that links the two and also allows both the wiki and forums to promote discussion and activity on each other. Right now it's doing the latter in the most basic way possible, like an afterthought. It's not taking advantage of the forum component.

I wanted to articulate already point 1 to 3, but didn't have the time and energy to.
Nr.3 must be done, only dumping them in one subforum is kinda messy.
To nr.3 i would also want to additional to creating a thread for a wiki entry, the possibility to create a whole Forum only for a wiki entry.

PS.: @SurferJon besides that ThemeHouse made the most amazing an cleanest work in my whole pseudo career, i bought until now many add ons and tools, but their tools where the cleanest and with best support i have ever seen.
I am sure it is made like every robust system, first you make it simple but clean an robust as possibly with less features, like whole XenForo.
With time TH will surely implement features, just because of their creativity and because request like ours.
The competitor seems to me not as clean, but has really more features which i need, but they seem to not embedded really appealing, alone the the theme integration makes me wet. But yeah i am missing more functions besides the clean fundament.

Last edited:
Hi,

after installing XWiki 1.0.2 Yesterday we get Tons of these Error Messages
XLink is running Version 1.0.6
XF is running v2.1.10 Patch 2

1591287551759.png

@Lukas W. do you have any Idea what went wrong?
Help would be appreciated

Regards

Hi,

View attachment 226939

Regards
Hi,

View attachment 226939

Regards
Go ahead and update to 1.0.2 Patch Level 2 as it should resolve the following issue you are replicating above.

Is it available for download at https://www.themehouse.com/ ? Patch Level 2 isn`t anounced here

Thanks for your reaction and help

Regards
It is listed within the version history for XWiki which you can download on your account dashboard under recent purchases or downloads.

By the way @Dalton Prock ... could you say something about XWIKI and XLINK concerning XF 2.2? Will you still support XF2.2?

Regards
I'm positive we will but I'll double-check with our team and let you know.

Would anyone be interested in working with some programmers to implement the features I suggested? I don't think the developers of this plugin are planning to expand it beyond its current functionality.

1. List the discussion threads for a wiki page on the page itself, such as below the wiki page's content or under an automatic "Discussion" header on the page. This way users immediately see the forum content and can jump in to the social discussions. In this way a wiki page is directly promoting forum participation, rather than being hidden away in a tab like currently.

2. Give users the ability to immediately create forum threads for a wiki page directly from the wiki page. To make it inviting to create a thread, you would see the thread-creation options on the wiki page with the thread title, content, etc. (Like when making a quick reply on the bottom of a forum thread -- it's quick and immediate.)

3. Give complete power to controlling where threads go. (They don't just get dumped into one XF subforum.) On the backend you can somehow choose a range of wiki pages based on their wiki category or some other factor and then choose what subforums that those page's threads can be created in when a user or admin decides to make a thread. This way an entire forum can be populated with active content depending on what the wiki page is about and how the subforums are set up. For example, if you have a Pikachu card page, you can create a post asking about the card's value, which can be posted into a "Collecting" subforum. Or if you have an issue with the page's content from an editor's perspective, you can post it to the "Wiki issues" forum. Or if you want to talk about the card's competitive value in a Pokemon card deck, it can go into the "Deck Help" forum. There's so much potential here. (So for all "Pokemon" wiki pages like Pikachu's, in the backend you could set "Collecting" and "Deck Help" as options to post in for regular users plus the "Wiki Issues" forum for wiki editors. In other words you can set the thread destination possibilities based on user groups and target the wiki pages for these permissions based on their category, or something.)

4. Any forum thread associated with a wiki page will have a link to that wiki page on the top. This way when users come across a forum discussion, they can go to that wiki page immediately.

5. You can also show a list of related threads from the forum on the wiki page based on certain parameters, like tags. For example if a forum thread has a tag for "Pikachu," you could see a list of "Pikachu" forum threads on the wiki page for it. This way when users come across a wiki page they can find forum discussions they might be interested in.

6. The option to completely disable MW's user pages and have them redirect to the XF profile pages.

zHYoRAs.png

(y)

Top Bottom