Xrumer

No. It's not legitimate. Yes, it's spam. Regardless of the reasoning used, a bot that spams the same message at multiple websites is a spam bot. There is no excuse for the practice, nor is there a valid use for it.

Lets see...

You're an independent contractor specializing in "X". You write a great tutorial on the topic, taking a complex and often performed topic and make it simple, with supporting scripts. You want to use this to drive traffic to your site and generate business.

You have a list of forums and wikis that pertain to 'X', so you use it to post to all of them. Its not unique content, but its not spam either.You trade information for advertising.

Legitimate use, yes?
How is that not spam? o_O

No.. come on guys.

I'm a small business owner, and I want to let lots of people know about my products (which are AWESOME by the way) so I'd like to send emails to people who I think are prospective future customers.

Rather than having to bother with actually writing emails to all these people by hand, if I could just use some tool that would allow me to send one email to MILLIONS of people, that would really help my business!

What could be wrong with that?

No.. come on guys.

I'm a small business owner, and I want to let lots of people know about my products (which are AWESOME by the way) so I'd like to send emails to people who I think are prospective future customers.

Rather than having to bother with actually writing emails to all these people by hand, if I could just use some tool that would allow me to send one email to MILLIONS of people, that would really help my business!

What could be wrong with that?

Because you have no right to send me an email unless I signed up for some list.

Lets see...

You're an independent contractor specializing in "X". You write a great tutorial on the topic, taking a complex and often performed topic and make it simple, with supporting scripts. You want to use this to drive traffic to your site and generate business.

You have a list of forums and wikis that pertain to 'X', so you use it to post to all of them. Its not unique content, but its not spam either.You trade information for advertising.

Legitimate use, yes?

I disagree, if you're mass-posting anything it's probably spam.

I disagree, if you're mass-posting anything it's probably spam.

I agree.

Anything mass posted is spam, regardless of its intentions.

How many boards let you sign up just to advertise anyway? So at the very least you will be breaking a significant amount of forum rules.

No. It's not legitimate. Yes, it's spam. Regardless of the reasoning used, a bot that spams the same message at multiple websites is a spam bot. There is no excuse for the practice, nor is there a valid use for it.
Not message. Look again. Valid, valuable content. Lets say the topic in high performance computing and what i've written is a tutorial, including scripts, for automating the provisioning of supercomputer nodes into a hadoop cluster from bare metal to fully participating nodes and it occurs within minutes. That is incredibly valuable information and maybe 6 other people int he entire world besides me can do it. But now I've enabled anyone.

You can't call it spam just because its mass posted if the content is legitimate and valuable.

I agree.

Anything mass posted is spam, regardless of its intentions.

How many boards let you sign up just to advertise anyway? So at the very least you will be breaking a significant amount of forum rules.
Does this apply when you use XF's mail function to send out a newsletter? It's mass-posted (sent) so it must be useless.

It may be "spam" in the sense that it's sent to masses, but just because it's "spam" (in numbers), doesn't mean it's not valuable information.

Not message. Look again. Valid, valuable content. Lets say the topic in high performance computing and what i've written is a tutorial, including scripts, for automating the provisioning of supercomputer nodes into a hadoop cluster from bare metal to fully participating nodes and it occurs within minutes. That is incredibly valuable information and maybe 6 other people int he entire world besides me can do it. But now I've enabled anyone.

You can't call it spam just because its mass posted if the content is legitimate and valuable.

According to many he can: https://www.google.com/search?q=def...hrome.0.57j58.3858j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Lets see...

Legitimate use, yes?

Not the same. I use hootsuite to 'spam' my social networks with new forum posts. Anyone who subscribes to my feeds on facebook, twitter, linkedin, etc knows that they are subscribing to the newsfeed of my forum. xrumer sends automated posts with links you specify to unknown, irrelevant forums and emails. xrumer is spam and is behind 75% of the forum and email spam I deal with.

What you are talking about (published paper, etc) should be handled with RSS or manual posting on relevant boards that are receptive to your content - not blasted to granny's email account or posted on the Muffin baking forum.

xrumer sends automated posts with links you specify to unknown, irrelevant forums and emails. xrumer is spam and is behind 75% of the forum and email spam I deal with.
I think Fred was referring to sending his valuable message to relevant sites, saying Xrumer can be used in a legitimate way to spread the message to relevant sites.

Thanks,

I don't know anything about the client side of xrumer and whether it's possible to send automated bots who register under false creds to publish legit works on relevant forums. Could be the case although I suspect that this is not the intended nor the oft used purpose of those who purchase xrumer.

I'm a big proponent of mechanisms that are often played off as bad, ie bittorrent: I use torrents to dl my latest Linux distros although the Bay can also be used in other ways. I just loathe spam and used to spend a lot of time battling it. To me, xrumer is a forum admins nemesis.

Does this apply when you use XF's mail function to send out a newsletter? It's mass-posted (sent) so it must be useless.

It may be "spam" in the sense that it's sent to masses, but just because it's "spam" (in numbers), doesn't mean it's not valuable information.
When people sign up to my forum, they agree to join the mailing list. So, not the same thing at all.

See below quote.

Not the same. I use hootsuite to 'spam' my social networks with new forum posts. Anyone who subscribes to my feeds on facebook, twitter, linkedin, etc knows that they are subscribing to the newsfeed of my forum. xrumer sends automated posts with links you specify to unknown, irrelevant forums and emails. xrumer is spam and is behind 75% of the forum and email spam I deal with.

What you are talking about (published paper, etc) should be handled with RSS or manual posting on relevant boards that are receptive to your content - not blasted to granny's email account or posted on the Muffin baking forum.

Actually, I did say the posts were limited to forums and wikis that were dedicated to high performance computing and supercomputers. Thanks again for trying to redefine what I said to fit you definition.

I think its like any other tool. Just because it can be misused, doesn't mean it can't have legitimate uses. Its all up to the integrity of the user. Unfortunately, the anonymous nature of the internet tends to make people less responsible than if they knew they and their good name would be held accountable.

What they say about being a spam tool or not is the following:

We guarantee that the software sold on this site is not malicious and / or prohibited by Russian law.

and

«Is your software a spamm software? I do not like spam!»
XRumer is not meant to send spam website, but rather to assist you in placing your advertisements in specific areas on forumsand other types of sites such as, Advertising, Trade \ Sale, Offtopic, and other related sections. XRumer simply posts messages created by users, which cannot be illegal. Only if user with his messages does not violate the legislation by provoking racial hate or anything prohibited by the law. But this acts are made by Human and not by our software! Besides, in most cases XRumer is smart enough and find sections where advertising can be posted with permission of moderators and webmasters. Spam is unsolicited correspondence by EMAIL. XRumer is not an email spam bomber and should not be confused with such software. By legislation of USA, Russia, Canada, Spain, Germany, France and other countries is illegal only EMAIL messages which XRumer has nothing to do with.

Spam is unsolicited correspondence by EMAIL. XRumer is not an email spam bomber

<= So what exactly should you call spam on a forum, because it certainly feels like XRumer is responsible for a big part of that (I would say more than 95% at an educated guess)

Will we see an end to XRumer once the law catches up with automated forum spam?

Top Bottom