XML Sitemap for XenForo 1.3 [Not needed, included in 1.4]

This seems like a great add-on!

What does these two options mean?
  • Include all pages in a forum
    • If you select this option, every single page with threads will be included in the sitemap. Else, only the main forum URL will be.
  • Include all pages in a thread
    • If you select this option, every single page with posts will be included in the sitemap. Else, only the main thread URL will be.

Hi Rigel,

Thanks for the great add-on.

I was wondering if you could explain the location of the sitemap. According to http://www.sitemaps.org/protocol.html#location , a sitemap can only include locations in its own folder or in subfolders of the same. How, then, can a sitemap in community/sitemap/ include locations in community/ ? Does this mean that the sitemap relies on robots.txt or the sitemap being submitted to Webmaster Tools in order to prove ownership?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,
F

I investigated this and it looks like while not putting the sitemap in the root folder seems to work at present (at least if the Sitemap is in robots.txt or GWT), doing so contradicts the standard and therefore might lead to trouble with some engines or in the future. See, for example, the debate in the comments to this post:
http://webmasters.stackexchange.com/a/29566

Since it seems to work as is, I don't imagine paying it (I'm just a volunteer at a startup nonprofit, after all), but how much might it cost to add an option to choose where the sitemap goes?

Not having it at the root works, at some point when I did the research as long as it were in the robots.txt Google would accept it

Maybe long term it is cleaner to put that into the root. There are security considerations for this, mainly, giving write permissions to the public_html folder on your webserver (where all the xenforo php files reside), or doing really fancy mod_rewrite rules

For the time being, considering it works without issues, I'd rather have it on the subfolder
There is an option on the admincp to choose the sitemap location, default is "sitemap", and you can change it to another folder. I wonder if you can do "../" to try to force it to go to the parent directory. Whatever location you choose must be chmod +w

I know this is way beyond the realm of 'tech support' but could you possibly point me in the direction of how I might modify this add-on to include pages in Bobster's Showcase add-on in the site map?

I know this is way beyond the realm of 'tech support' but could you possibly point me in the direction of how I might modify this add-on to include pages in Bobster's Showcase add-on in the site map?

/admin.php?options/list/xenforo_sitemap_urls

There are security considerations for this, mainly, giving write permissions to the public_html folder on your webserver (where all the xenforo php files reside), or doing really fancy mod_rewrite rules. For the time being, considering it works without issues, I'd rather have it on the subfolder.
That makes sense. Thanks for the help.

So for a while there, I couldn't get the CLI to work. Just wanted to let this thread know that if you are having problems with the CLI, all I did was remove the '@' on the 3rd line, so now it looks like:
set_time_limit(0);

Since I removed that, it has been able to run nightly without any error. Doubt many here will have that problem since most people don't need to run via CLI.

I can't see that my sitemap is generated in the Server Error Log, even though I have done all the steps. This has worked before, but has stopped now =/.

Thanks for the great mod, I have installed it and its working fine!!

One question, what should you put in your robots.txt to link to the sitemap?

Do you have to list each sitemap individually in the robots.txt file and should you then update it when it reaches the set limit of 5000 and creates a different version?

Cheers for the help and the fantastic mod!

Seems like it was last generated Feb 16
And if you don't get it on the logs anymore.. could be either an error or that the cron job is not running. Could you try running it manually? There is a "run now" button somewhere there

Yes, I have run it manually and it was run successfully. I had some database errors around the 16th february. I replaced all my old files and did a backup-install of the database. I didn't change the sitemap-files though.

Yes, I have run it manually and it was run successfully. I had some database errors around the 16th february. I replaced all my old files and did a backup-install of the database. I didn't change the sitemap-files though.

Ooh.. my mistake. I had not uploaded the whole library-files. Now it works =)

Hi,

Was a normal xml meant to be in the sitemap directory?:

e0nWYSU.png

I seemed to find it in there.

Also, are the 644 file permissions alright for the files?

Top Bottom